Maximum CPU upgrade for M17xR3

ZoulouTango

Which CPU is installed now. There could be a problem with the heat. I am not an expert, but the TDP is 10W higher than an 2630qm or 2670qm. Maybe you need a additional heatpipe? 
You can try and check temperature, while gaming. Its easy plug and play when temp is ok.

Good point!
I do use the original processor 2720  and yes the TDP is 10W higher.
I wonder if anyone has tried that without any additional heatpipes and if that caused any smoke and fires :)
I don't have the 2960xm handy but I found it in Ebay for a reasonable price 

Yes these 2960xm are on eBay from some Chinese sellers. Don’t know if they are authentic. 
I also don’t find a spare part with 3 heatpipes. I think you have to try and let us know. Be sure you take great care for using the thermal paste! This will be crucial.

I don't believe a 3-pipe CPU heatsink was ever available for the R3 and R4. It's possible that someone has made an aftermarket one but you may be stuck with the 2-pipe. The only real reason to go for the XM over the QM is overclocking ability. If you don't want to overclock then just go for the top end QM processor. 

Hi MattyB
points taken. Given that I have the 2720QM currently, you reckon that 2860QM will offer any noticeable improvement ?
If it adds an extra 5% for example, I'll be happy.
Funny enough, there is one up for sale relatively close where I live and I am tempted.

Hey, Sorry about the late reply, I didn't see your post until now. 

The 2860QM has a higher base and turbo clock and also more L3 cache so you should notice a little more performance. They are basically the only real differences. 

You'd see a bigger difference if you had an i5 but it's still a decent upgrade for the right price.