Memories of a bricked BIOS GX660 [Question at end]

ElDoinko

My first experience updating a bios came back in 2012 on my GX660. My GPU was on it's last legs as the laptop was used everyday, 24/7, at home, on the-go and in-transit via planes, train and bus. The PC would BSOD about 5 minutes in LoL matches out of the heat, I guess? I remember reading (or thinking to myself?) that I could try to update the BIOS and something was bound to change. I don't remember how I managed to mess the preparation with regards to the bootable media. I was able to get all the files I needed into the USB drive and I was able to initiate the process but I managed to get the laptop shutdown while the BIOS was being updated. I remember the culprit being an aging power supply barrel (intermittent connection) plus a shoddy battery on it's last legs. What was weird, however, was that I waited a good amount of time before the PC outright shutdown. 

I managed to get my PC back because I literally got an opportunity to go to MSI HQ in California to inform them of the issue. I was able to get them to give me a replacement MOBO and GPU for my stupidity, though the reason I stated the most was the original issue with the graphics card. 

Question: How likely was it that the BIOS update process was somehow stalled? How long does it usually take for this process to complete?

BTW, I am currently giving this laptop a new purpose. Not as a gaming laptop, but as a workshop PC. The dedicated graphics, coupled with a new set of RAM (8GB) and an SSD should be quite enough to run CAD design programs like KiCAD, Fusion 360 & CircuitMaker. :D