NP8690 no video output, gpu bad flash maybe?

vforce1

i bought a sager NP8690 and it work with the exception that it doesnt display anything i did some searching online and found that it was the 5870m the previous owner said he flashed it to 900/1120 and he said that he pit it to sleep and when he came back it wouldn't wake up... how can i revive the 5870? i dont have enought money to buy a new one

EDIT: if i take the GPU out will it display anything or is the GPU needed?

No internal GPU, so if you remove the MXM card the system won't POST, means it doesn't work at all with the 5870m removed.

the previous owner said he flashed it to 900/1120 and he said that he pit it to sleep and when he came back it wouldn't wake up...

That's a weird story... this means it worked fine first, and only had issues after a while. This indicates that it isn't due to a bad vbios flash, but more likely caused by a hardware failure.

What does your system do when you power it on?

i saw ur PM but , here the thing it turns on like i see all them LEDs (power hdd wifi the w m and mail all light up) i can hear and feel the fans i can hear the HDD spin up but i cant see anything on the screen OR the external monitor

EDIT: will a 9800m work on this laptop?

Edited by vforce1

• Founder

If you cannot see anything on the external monitor, it could be any number of things ranging from a dead video card to motherboard failure. Unfortunately the only way to really tell is if Clevo has LED visual cues or beeps like Dell notebooks that help you diagnose the problem. If they don't, you would need to take it to a PC repair shop that deals with notebooks. They'd be able to swap parts (e.g. video card) to test if that's the culprit or something else. You should try to contact the person you bought it from and see if you can get a refund.

Then as others have already suggested... Look to put another MXM card in and see if it posts with a different gpu. Yes refund would be better but if you can't or will not get a refund you need a second video card to test on the system even if it's as suggested and happens to be from a repair place to test the system. Otherwise you will need to see the manufacturer for repairs.

• 4 weeks later...

Hard to say with the Clevo systems... If it's an MXM 3.0 Type B capable system, then it should work, but I can't confirm this, never dealt with Clevo systems myself.

it is mxm 3.0 type b

Okay well sinc it is mxm 3 type b the prvious gpu should work if you purchase that to test your system. Has Clevo gave any clues have you contacted Clevo any? Perhaps a warranty would be cheaper than said gpu and then could be repaired by the original seller. Any updates on the situation my friend.