[GUIDE] AMD VBIOS flashing

svl7

Hi,

What's the best choice of the available vBIOS versions? I prefer the the "Dell7970m-950-1400-ov1100v". Are there any known thermal problems or stability issues? At the moment, I have a unmodded M18x R2 with Dual 7970.

Thx for your help.

if thats the clocks you like as long as your 7970m's seem to run it fine you should have no problem. You should play games stock and check gpu temps. load a low vbios and test check temps. work your way up. if you get to one you find unstable in games drop back down. If you get to the next one up and you find versus the last one you tried its 10c higher alone that level of overclock is might not be worth the couple more mhz. If you reach 90c this is just too high for day to day gaming. less than 80c is a great goal and often these 7970m can run 65-75c average on load and thats perfectly normal. if your pushing it 85c may be okay day to day but its not leaving room for if you run into a hot summer day or something. If you can do the above but target using the lowest voltage possible staying on stock volts if possible or 1.075v after 1.075v people have had mixed results. 1.1v for some and this depends on the games or apps used can handle that fine but all gpu dies handle differently. you are overclocking two 7970m so your overclock is only as good as the weakest card. Sometimes you can put a weaker card on mxm slot two and it will often recieve less heat or load :) hope those tips get you a start on things. I definitely find day to day stability on stock 1.050v and 1.075v and both those give great temps, 1.1v gets warm but beyond that might not even help stabalize a higher overclock and the heat beyond 1.1v is pretty bad. 1.025v is the highest mine have seen benefit from. Core clock takes less volts that the same increase in vram in a lot of cases. so if you find your core not going high attempt a lower vram clock and also some cores and vram just reach their limits that no volts or better temps will allow to go higher. its up to you to find balance amongst those aspects. If you use vbios patcher you can make a 950-1400 at 1.05v, 1.075v and 1.1v and see what you find helps you. I am still testing but I use 990-1300-1.05v but 1.075v wasn't bad either... but 1.1v failed on those in BF3 but in Dirt 3 1.1v wasn't an issue and allowed me to get to 1040-1675 at 1.1v and doesn't crash for mine in Dirt 3 on that either but BF3 990-1300-1.050v has run fine and cool. Still testing myself Cheers :)

Hi mw86,

Thanks for the detailled feedback. After testing 900-1300 @1.075v card1 reaches 82c max, card 2 show 76c max temp. So I think I should decreace the voltage to 1.025c. Unfortunately, I do not have the permission to download the vBIOS patcher. As noob in this forum I have to post a little bit more :)

Does anyone uses 900-1300 @1.050V or @ 1.025V?

Thanks.

tried to flash my gpu yesterday, but surprisingly it doesn't work at all anymore. I went through the procedure of atiflash, was all successful and rebooted the system. back in windows I checked the clocks and they are still the same as before. So I thought there went something wrong with atiflash. So went back to dos and tried to flash again. But atiflash said, the vbios I try to flash is identical with the one on the card. Tried to flash some other vbioses, butthe clocks stay all the same O.o

checksums all okay

what I did since the last successful flash: - updated to catalyst 12.9 7900mod

- installed updated version of msi afterburner with "xcl-command" to enable amd overdrive.

uninstalled both but still the same. Can't get a different vbios flashed onto the card.

The card just works fine, so actually no faulty card.

Hi mw86,

Thanks for the detailled feedback. After testing 900-1300 @1.075v card1 reaches 82c max, card 2 show 76c max temp. So I think I should decreace the voltage to 1.025c. Unfortunately, I do not have the permission to download the vBIOS patcher. As noob in this forum I have to post a little bit more :)

Does anyone uses 900-1300 @1.050V or @ 1.025V?

Thanks.

900-1300 1.05v should be no prob. You could try 1.025v if you find 1.05v works

Paranoid Galaxy S3 on Tapatalk 2

tried to flash my gpu yesterday, but surprisingly it doesn't work at all anymore. I went through the procedure of atiflash, was all successful and rebooted the system. back in windows I checked the clocks and they are still the same as before. So I thought there went something wrong with atiflash. So went back to dos and tried to flash again. But atiflash said, the vbios I try to flash is identical with the one on the card. Tried to flash some other vbioses, butthe clocks stay all the same O.o

checksums all okay

what I did since the last successful flash: - updated to catalyst 12.9 7900mod

- installed updated version of msi afterburner with "xcl-command" to enable amd overdrive.

uninstalled both but still the same. Can't get a different vbios flashed onto the card.

The card just works fine, so actually no faulty card.

Try setting it up just like you had before with overdrive and all and see if it works. Im on the same driver which is not bad at all and i only use the vbios now to set clocks and volts. I didn't know i can enable overdrive with MSI. Perhaps as it seems you might have suspected maybe overdrive had something to do with it. Try registry clean after uninstall of msi and reinstall the gpu driver again clean in case something else got changed. I have trouble with clocks if i disable powerplay in CCC menu so I try to always set that to performance. MSI can disable powerplay via setting a 2 in the . ini by AMD overclock mode or method i forget the txt there.

Edit: empty folders before reinstalling manually if you have to to remove old config files may be missed on uninstall

Paranoid Galaxy S3 on Tapatalk 2

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There's no point in knowing the checksum of your currently installed vbios. Why would you want to know this? You can dump your current vbios and then run the command on the dumped file... but as I said, there's no reason to do this.

Okay, so I really misunderstood something. Could you please explain to me the phrase below?

"Verify the integrity of the VBIOS you want to flash by calculating its checksum. Of course you need to know the correct checksum in advance. If the checksums don't match -> don't flash."

• 2 weeks later...

yes, i also dont understand this, sorry, how i can verify correct checksum of new Vbios whe i dont know correct checksum? If the checksums don't match -> don't flash." .....if checksum dont match to what? .. probably im asking very stupid question, so please try to descrile this to me

The checksum is designed to ensure that the relevant parts of your vbios are ok. It is a very simple design. It is the sum of all bytes (interpreted as int8) If the sum is modulo 256 congruent zero the test is positive. So a good checksum is always zero and as you can see it is very simple to correct the checksum after doing some changes, but if it is bad otherwise DO NOT flash, NEVER force flash if you cant handle a soldering iron :rolleyes:

Thanks so much :) I bricked my old MB by flashing the Unlocked A10 BIOS so that I could forcibly disable the integrated graphics, Not knowing that it was a bug with the Vbios. It just beeped over and over again, And even removing the BIOS battery didn't help. I tried to blind flash it, But I got that 'Total dead no power at all' result as other people have had after blind flashing, So Dell just came and replaced my MB.

Just did this and it solved my problem completely :D Thanks very much

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys when i check the checksum they do not match? even tho i modified it from my original vbios

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6177[/ATTACH]

here are the 2 vbios original and modded.

Original Unmodded

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6178[/ATTACH]

New Modded

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6179[/ATTACH]

any help appreciated!

cheers :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
If somebody will try to find this information in the future : I've tried three different Dell vBios and they do not work on Clevo 6990M card. I tried one with the checksum 0xC1A6 , 0xEA88 and 0xD0F2 and they do not work - black screen. But on MSI GX660 you can do a blind flash, so you can always revert to your old vBios, of course if you saved it first.

Hi, I have msi gx660 and i upgraded with clevo 6990m, but the HDMI audio doesn't work. I tried do vbios and got a big problem. When I turn on the notebook the screen is black and I cant do nothing. How can I do the blind flash to recover the old bios? pls!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I would like to know if I own a 7970m card with 015.017.000 vbios and a sandy bridge motherboard which doesn't support Optimus, can I run this card without upgrading the vbios?

If this vbios doesn't work with my motherboard then what's the best vbios I should upgrade?

Thanks!