[GUIDE] AMD VBIOS flashing

svl7

• 3 months later...

Hello all i need some advice: i own a HP Z1 workstation with a Quadro 3000M installed, its a MXM 3.0b card. I found a shop here in Germany which sells all kinds of MXM cards, both Nvidia and ATI/AMD. I've seen some other people who own a Z1 being able to run different kind of Nvidia GTX cards, from 680 to 880M.

But i cant find anything on Ati/Amd cards. Im thinking about buying a R9 M290x which is for a Clevo. Would i need to flash the bios of the card to make it work with the Z1?

• 1 month later...
- work in progress -

Instructions for flashing the VBIOS of an AMD / ATI video card:

You'll need:

• A VBIOS file you want to flash
  • The latest version of ATIflash, a DOS utility to flash the VBIOS
  • A USB drive, formatted to boot DOS, in order to use ATIflash

How to create a bootable USB flash drive:

Thanks @StamatisX for this nice guide!

Flashing procedure:

Once you've prepared your USB drive, put ATIflash to the root of the drive, same with the VBIOS file you want to flash.

NOTE:DOS has a limit of 8 characters per file name (not counting the extension). So make sure to rename your files appropriately before putting them on the USB drive.

Reboot your system, go to the boot manager and choose to boot from the USB drive.

As soon as you see the command line you're ready to go, write

dir

and hit enter to display all the files on the USB drive.

• Display all adapters, ATIflash will enumerate them. Remember the numbers of the devices you want to flash.
    atiflash -i

• Save a copy of your original VBIOS to the USB drive, "i" is the number of the adapter you checked before, if you only have one GPU it's going to be "0". "Filename" is going to be the name of the file, don't forget to add an extension (.rom). Keep in mind that there's a limit of 8 characters for a file name in DOS.
    atiflash -s i filename.rom

• Verify the integrity of the VBIOS you want to flash by calculating its checksum. Of course you need to know the correct checksum in advance. If the checksums don't match -> don't flash.
    atiflash -cf vbiosfile 

For example if the file you want to flash is called "modVbios.rom" the command for displaying the checksum would be "atiflash -cf modVbios.rom".

• Flash your VBIOS to the desired adapter "i".
    atiflash -p i vbiosfile

E.g. "atiflash -p 0 modVbios.rom" flashes the file modVbios.rom to adapter 0.
    DON'T do anything with the system during the flash procedure.

• Restart the system when asked to do so and remove your USB drive.

Pro tip:

Set USB as the first boot priority in the BIOS before flashing a VBIOS, in some cases it can really simplify things in case of a bad flash, i.e. if you have to do a "blind flash".

Using ATIflash:

This will display a list of all valid atiflash commands, the associated parameters and explanations about how to use them:

atiflash -h

sir.. what will happen if we flash the mismatch vbios .. my card is actually 7970m.. we the accidentally flash it with 8970m vbios .. would it find mismatch.? or in case it will,, can we proceed proceed..?

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 months later...

Hello,i need help with the bios of my r9 290 directcu.I need someone with modding skills to mod its bios so that my card can have increased voltage in idle/low loads.I get black screens because the 2d voltage of my card is not enought,while surfing memory jumps from 150 to 1250 and as i heard its voltage is linked with the gpu,so when the gpu goes from 300 to ~500 frequency and can handle the 2d voltage,memory cannot therefore i get black screens.For now i solved the problem by increasing the voltage with +25 in msi afterburner but i would like a permanent solution.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi everyone

I have M17x R4, I bought M290X and after bad vbios flash my notebook doesn't boot, just beep 8 times.

Without discrete vcard I can boot using internal HD4000.

How can I restore vbios on M290X?

Sorry for my English.

On 3/3/2017 at 4:09 PM, victor23 said:

Hi everyone

I have M17x R4, I bought M290X and after bad vbios flash my notebook doesn't boot, just beep 8 times.

Without discrete vcard I can boot using internal HD4000.

How can I restore vbios on M290X?

Sorry for my English.

Hi, you must make an usb key (with HP format tool + msdos bootdisk 6.22 + atiflash 4.17, google for all is simple to find it all )
and a notepad file saved as an autoexec.bat IN THE ROOT OF YOUR USB KEY:

c:\atiflash.exe -s 0 YYY.rom

c:\atiflash.exe -p 0 -fs -fp -reboot YYY.rom

change "YYY" as your named rom

Good luck!!

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 9 months later...