Alienware 17 R3 970M looking for vbios mod

Hi

i am looking for custom vbios for my 970m but dont have much lucky, anybody have a link to download a custom vbios? or can help me to modd my stock vbios, i tried to atatch the files but the site give me a error message, this is mi stock vbios and graphic card info https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1s8e37zh8xspyonxM3UIZGfLJ-hNGwNGw?usp=sharing

Thank you so much and sorry for my bad english

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 11/20/2020 at 12:19 PM, Klem said:

Hi!

Your unlocked vBIOS done. Check PM.

Hi I was wondering if I could also obtain this vbios? I have a GTX 970M 3GB model on the Alienware 17 R1 (2013) which I upgraded to from the GTX 770M, I can only overclock the core clock by a max of +135MHz in afterburner and cant go any further, my card only sits at around 71C in games and I know I can push it further. I can pay if need be. Here is my vbios: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rvtWg69tw7rv_prrjcwinxk9qHXPBXeg/view?usp=sharing

• Bios Modder
22 minutes ago, J4D said:

Hi I was wondering if I could also obtain this vbios? I have a GTX 970M 3GB model on the Alienware 17 R1 (2013) which I upgraded to from the GTX 770M, I can only overclock the core clock by a max of +135MHz in afterburner and cant go any further, my card only sits at around 71C in games and I know I can push it further. I can pay if need be. Here is my vbios: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rvtWg69tw7rv_prrjcwinxk9qHXPBXeg/view?usp=sharing

Hi!

Ok. Check PM.

• 10 months later...

I've similarly have installed a 6GB 970m from aliexpress in my AW17 2013 Ranger from a failing 860m. Had to mod the NVIDIA Driver 460.89 for the 970m. 

The fan's function however seems a bit erratic...

Im usung speedfan to load the GPU fan (right hand) to 100% to ease up the CPU fan (left hand).. targeting around 40-50% due to fan noise.

I reckon the vBIOS might need modding...

Im usiung AW17 motherboard BIOS, and the card's vBIOS is 84.04.85.00.0C. Nothing's unlocked.

The power supply I've ben told from a number of boards that 180W is fine for the 970m.

Any advice pertaining to tweaks to the vbios would be appreciated :)

Other Specs:

GM204, REV A1

Device ID: 10DE 13D8 - 1028 05AA, 

Edited by [email protected]
additional identification of GPU

• Bios Modder
On 2/2/2022 at 9:11 PM, [email protected] said:

I've similarly have installed a 6GB 970m from aliexpress in my AW17 2013 Ranger from a failing 860m. Had to mod the NVIDIA Driver 460.89 for the 970m. 

The fan's function however seems a bit erratic...

Im usung speedfan to load the GPU fan (right hand) to 100% to ease up the CPU fan (left hand).. targeting around 40-50% due to fan noise.

I reckon the vBIOS might need modding...

Im usiung AW17 motherboard BIOS, and the card's vBIOS is 84.04.85.00.0C. Nothing's unlocked.

The power supply I've ben told from a number of boards that 180W is fine for the 970m.

Any advice pertaining to tweaks to the vbios would be appreciated :)

Other Specs:

GM204, REV A1

Device ID: 10DE 13D8 - 1028 05AA, 

Hi! No, any modified or unlocked bios can not help you with fan adjustment. Fan adjustment placed in EC firmware, not in bios.

• Bios Modder
3 hours ago, [email protected] said:

Perhaps if i try the vBIOS mod myself i can get some better results myself. Is one still available?

An unlocked BIOS can increase the ability to overclock the mobile graphics card, but cannot control the fan speed in laptop.

yes got you on that. I'm just changing gears and looking at a different aspect.. Perhaps if i break it down:

My symptom is, in switching to optimus and a session of Assetto Corsa, after abt a minute when the 970m is blazing and playing really well, it starts to throttle down and skips frames.

Looking at the temps after quitting A/C, the CPU is steady warm/hot and the GPU is showing hot. Running the right hand GPU fan (off) from zero to 100% in speedfan and dropping the left CPU fan (which is at peak) seems to stabilise the system and i'm able to run A/C for long sessions comfortably.

Net result is I'll try someing else (EC Firmware) for fan control, but also want to check out a modded vBIOS and possibly other clock settings for shits n giggles and to experiment.

Perhaps you can comment? i dont know i'm just looking at my old dear AW and experimenting what i can do to her without breaking her ;)

vBIOS & NVIDIA Inspector: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqWfKVYwkxiekwuzcvf64UsphIir?e=CjgK3s

Edited by [email protected]
attached vBIOS & NVIDIA Inspector link

I think my and Strategeek's Machine/Subsystem IDs are identical [Device ID: 10DE 13D8 - 1028 05AA] from this thread here:

https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/topic/6729-nvidia-maxwell-vbios-mods-900m-series-overclocking-versions/&page=49

NVFlash --version returns the new 970m card's vBIOS ROM Subsystem ID as 05AB, so would a mismatch in the Device ID above and the Subsystem ID in the ROM be significant?

Sorry trying to work this out myself, hope not to be a pain :/

• 1 year later...