BitCoin

raymosrunerx

Hello

I was talking to someone over steam (who I met over tf2) and was talking about how he uses a computer and his gpus during his bedtime and when he works to mine bitcoins. Apparently he can get cash off of them, has anyone tried this before?

I'm not famailiar with it at all have any infos that you know of on it? maybe others have heard of it. You could see if they are accreddited by the BBB or other assurances of proper buisness.

Its a p2p currency system, developed by MIT.

I've started farming on my m14x, only using the GPU because I'm not using it right now :3.

Does anyone know a thing or two about installing software on linux? I've tried to install this program but it simply isnt working

The times where you could relatively easy get money with bitcoin mining are over. You always need to factor in the power bill, cost of hardware, time spent to optimize the system... unless you have arig with several AMD GPUs and don't have to pay for the electricity bill, it's not worth it (anymore). Just my 0.02.

I'm building a rig, but the electric bills are covered, I'm basically running all this in the lab.

Speaking of which, I have no idea how to install any of that sh*t on linux, the Windows GUI was so easy to use. If I could do it on linux, then I could use several servers when there are no jobs on them (I'm the admin of them anyways).

• Founder

a single rig, even with a quad sli won't get you really far. As svl7 already mentioned, it's nearly impossible to make any real $$ using a single rig. I once researched using amazon ec2 cloud machines to mine for bitcoins, but that isn't worth it either, as the bills for those machines would be equal to or greater than the value of those mined bitcoins.

Well, I cant really say if I'd get in trouble though because I was never told what I can or can not do... The research head just threw some servers at me and said this is what I have to work with... I'm really the only one who has access to them also

Well, a lot of labs have a flat rate for the power, so it's possible that this isn't an issue, and if you're the only one who has access to the servers and it doesn't affect your work... why not? Of course it might be better to ask first ;)