AMD 7970m - modified VBIOS

Stock? No, never occured any issues with CPU and GPU at stock, only when benching. Currently running the card undervolted, no issues at all in BF3.

Stock? No, never occured any issues with CPU and GPU at stock, only when benching. Currently running the card undervolted, no issues at all in BF3.

good to know, since im probably gonna get a 7970m soon need to give the laptop some love again :) been showing too much to the desktop

WELL I had some problems and got no where.. the techs in my area suck.. they damaged my laptop.. i needed a motherboard swap..well i didnt need it but alienware seemed to think so before they would swap out my old 460ms..

but when the tech came out.. the first one told me he would not work on my system and tried to just leave.. so i told him to call his boss.. his boss sent some one else out who tried the same thing.. finaly convieced him the second guy to do the swap real quick.. and he damaged the little ribon that conects the media button to the MB.. the little brown conector that holds the ribbon in place on the mother board side.. he scratched my system broke the bezel around the keyboard..

And a few other things.. well my gpus still were acting up s i called alienware and they said they would swap out my cards with the 6990s from the 460 if i bought 2 years worth of warranty for 1050 bucks.. so i did.. then they didn't want to let me install them my self and the techs refused to come out again and do it..lol.. i spent hours on the phone and finaly convinced them i was able to do the job.. when i got it my system i found the clips broke i mentioned before.. stuff unplugged.. screws missing... so i email a level 3 tech guy that was on another forum and explained my problem... and told him i need to be compensated.. that this was unacceptable.. and i told him id like the 7970s.. he said ok..np and sorry for all the trouble.. it was the first cool thing alienware has done for me and my m18x-r1 since owning the laptop..

I still have those clips broke but i still have warranty and its been noted that the tech messed up.. in hind sight i should of asked for the red body be snt to me or at least the screen lol with the red cover..

And that is how i got my 7970s.. i didn't buy them.. Dell was just plain awesome in taking care of the problem..

but on a side note.. i called in about the drivers to see when they would be released and why the m17x-r4 drivers would work for me and they tried to get me to return these for the 6970s..lol and the phone rep was kinda insistent that i do it..I told him they was no way in hell id go backwards since the cards i just had were 6990s..why he thought it was of to get me to try and take the 6970s? he said that the 6970s were all he could offer me.. I told him that was unacceptable..and that if he wanted these cards back he would have to upgrade my whole system to the same speced system but in the m18x-r2.. and that i was disappointed that he would even consider it was ok to try to get me to send the cards back to him..

So you installed them? Do you happen to remember the part number for cards? (747r2)? Did you need new heat sinks?

Thanks

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks @Michael , seems I messed up the link when I revised the first post.

Which version of bios are you using? v1.1 is good for overlocking?

I'm at 0.975v. This works fine for me at stock clocks. For overclocking... it depends on your system, you have to test it yourself, not all systems can handle 1.1V without issues (fps drops, instability...), but it will work on some.

Just be careful, monitor your temps etc.

Edited by svl7
  • Thumbs Up 2

thanks for all the hard work man! Can you make one that is overvolted at 1.1v and also has default clocks as 1000/1500? :P

great idea how are they working set like that?

[MENTION=3786]Wei Lu[/MENTION] you could probably use the 1.1 for benching scores like Widezu in previous post looking to bench 1.1ghz core on 1.1v :) You'll have to see what your limits are as every card is different. Be safe and start low :)

Edited by mw86
  • Thumbs Up 1

the life of Asus G73Jh is also extended with the power of hd 7970m , a guy posted it works , but internal screen doesnt work but it works through hdmi external screen , what can be causing this issue ?

and also does anyone have clevo hd 7970m vbios , because he going to flash the card to get the fan control , lol , will clevo vbios work on that card ?

I know that fan control wont work normal with clevo vbios in dell card.

thanks

Don't expect me to help solving issues of a random user at NBR, seriously.

When someone has a question or an issue and is looking for our advice then it's up to him to create a post or thread here and we will gladly try to help, but T|I is not a support site for problems on other forums.

• Thumbs Up 6

Gentlemen, that's for your very nice work on this vBIOS. It's working quite well for me. 3DMark11

I'm eager to see how it does at 4.7-4.8GHz with AC cooling after work this evening, but for now 4.5GHz is the limit on ambient temps.

post-119-1449499324776_thumb.jpg

Gentlemen, that's for your very nice work on this vBIOS. It's working quite well for me.

Thank you! There's more to come... you'll see ;)

So you got your hands on some new cards after all... hehe, great to see you benching some AMD stuff :P

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder
Gentlemen, that's for your very nice work on this vBIOS. It's working quite well for me. 3DMark11

I'm eager to see how it does at 4.7-4.8GHz with AC cooling after work this evening, but for now 4.5GHz is the limit on ambient temps.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4293[/ATTACH]

Welcome Bud! Long time no see (i was mfractal on NBR).

I remember the days we were waiting for the M17x-R2 to arrive together after a 30-40 days delay :)

Good times :D

Great to see you picked up a pair of these Mr.Fox. Great scores in crossfire. These seem to scale quite nicely. I can't wait to see what a more official driver will bring to the table. SVL7 your work has made these cards open right up. For the most part i agree with earlier statements of yours. They do prefer stock volt or just a small increase at most. Seems they would do great on an undervolt like you said. Temps are outstanding for any 100watt card i have used

Thanks guys, for all the nice comments. I appreciate them.

Yes, "Mr. Fractal" I remember waiting for the R2, LOL. It seemed like an eternity. Still love that old thing... built like a Sherman tank.

Edited by Guest

SVL7 I just want to tell you your vbios works wonders. 1.075v I found 1029mhz-1050 core but stock vram on 3dmark2011 it finally loaded. On the vram at stock core I got the vram to 1650mhz much over scores went down and or crashed. So I'm trying to work a combo of medium core overclock and medium vram that produces higher scores. When vram or core is really high it hinders the other one for me. 1029core and 1300vram+ got almost what 995 core 1560mhz vram got. Core seems to really raise scores by every few mhz and vram does too but requires larger steps for the same amount of points. When both are balanced the scores seem to be very good. 1.1v didn't help much but perhaps if kept chilly at 1.1v then one may get a pretty extreme bench like Widezu.

Mr. Fox, time to update that sig ;)
That's funny. I had not even noticed that. Thanks for pointing it out.
@Mr. Fox - So how did you score that 7970 ??
I obtained them directly from Dell.