AMD 7970m - modified VBIOS

I overcloked my two 7970m again with 930/1400 overvolting 1.075v and testing my GPU1 was ok with 1.075v but GPU2 even working wuth crossfire only indicates 0.950v in VDDC sensor in GPU-Z... is it normal? I think the second graphics card can't keep up pace with the first one so it crashes.

I dont notice later but now my default card voltage for GPU1 is 1.000v cant go back to 1.075 even when flashing back to default VBios, my second card is 0.950v no matter VBios I flashed in it.

Okay, so thanks to Nospheratu I managed to change the voltage. So it works as I managed to stay @ 960 mhz / 1400 mhz for some time on crysis 3 while it would just do a BSOD before. But it still frreezes after some time (30 minutes I think, but once it has frozen one time, next time it freezes within 5 minutes lol). Also I've seen that the card throttles since I launched metro last light benchmark and watched the core frequency's graph with afterburner and saw some drops @ 450 mhz instead of 960 mhz

Any ideas guys ??

PS : I tried overvolting @ 1.05 and 1.075

There's also another option to adjust voltage, ASUS GPU Tweak (v2.4.3.1 under "Utilities"). Its the only utility that allows me to set voltage on both my cards after using Afterburners -xcl switch.

I've detailed some steps from my experience using it here. It also has its own version of Afterburners -xcl command if you set it to advanced mode and go to Settings-> Tune->Tune Settings. Tick the box that says "Overclocking range Enhancement", follow prompts and wait till its complete.

That setting is GPU Tweaks version of Afterburners -xcl switch. It doesn't unlock voltage for me in GPU Tweak but it does enable Overdrive in CCC and voltage adjustment in TRIXX though so its very similar to Afterburners -xcl command. Voltage may work for others who are running Dell cards or maybe a different revision of vBIOS. I know it doesn't work for AlienHacks ES card.

I suspect since the xcl and Overclocking Range Enhancement both use the same exploit ie. emulation of the powerplay table in the registry, it depends on the type of powerplay table its mimicking. I think Afterburners version of the table works for my card or it loads a table that's compatible with my card.

@titi974 With regards to your throttling have you made sure your temps are not causing it? Are you running the 240W PSU?

@Tulius Try ASUS GPU Tweak. My primary card was stuck at 0.975v and my second card at 1.00v even though my vBIOS is set at 1.05v for 3D mode. With this app I can set it to any 3D voltage and clocks I like. It even has functionality to set 2D mode clocks and voltages.

There's also another option to adjust voltage, ASUS GPU Tweak (v2.4.3.1 under "Utilities"). Its the only utility that allows me to set voltage on both my cards after using Afterburners -xcl switch.

I've detailed some steps from my experience using it here. It also has its own version of Afterburners -xcl command if you set it to advanced mode and go to Settings-> Tune->Tune Settings. Tick the box that says "Overclocking range Enhancement", follow prompts and wait till its complete.

That setting is GPU Tweaks version of Afterburners -xcl switch. It doesn't unlock voltage for me in GPU Tweak but it does enable Overdrive in CCC and voltage adjustment in TRIXX though so its very similar to Afterburners -xcl command. Voltage may work for others who are running Dell cards or maybe a different revision of vBIOS. I know it doesn't work for AlienHacks ES card.

I suspect since the xcl and Overclocking Range Enhancement both use the same exploit ie. emulation of the powerplay table in the registry, it depends on the type of powerplay table its mimicking. I think Afterburners version of the table works for my card or it loads a table that's compatible with my card.

@titi974 With regards to your throttling have you made sure your temps are not causing it? Are you running the 240W PSU?

@Tulius Try ASUS GPU Tweak. My primary card was stuck at 0.975v and my second card at 1.00v even though my vBIOS is set at 1.05v for 3D mode. With this app I can set it to any 3D voltage and clocks I like. It even has functionality to set 2D mode clocks and voltages.

Try using ASUS GPU Tweaks unlock as I mentioned in my previous post. Although you would have to re-install your Catalysts in order for it to work and it might not work in 13.6 beta2.

74C is a good temp to have at load so I don't think that's the cause of it, especially if you were running Crysis 3. The 240W is more than sufficient so its unlikely related to the PSU.

I'd suggest logging your voltage using GPU-Z to make sure your card is actually operating at the voltage you set in TRIXX. It might be still running at the default voltage and you were able to run those games due to some other changes you may have made.

edit: What is your load temps on the GPU? I mistakely read 74C as your load temp. You can use GPU-Z to check that as well.

Try using ASUS GPU Tweaks unlock as I mentioned in my previous post. Although you would have to re-install your Catalysts in order for it to work and it might not work in 13.6 beta2.

74C is a good temp to have at load so I don't think that's the cause of it, especially if you were running Crysis 3. The 240W is more than sufficient so its unlikely related to the PSU.

I'd suggest logging your voltage using GPU-Z to make sure your card is actually operating at the voltage you set in TRIXX. It might be still running at the default voltage and you were able to run those games due to some other changes you may have made.

edit: What is your load temps on the GPU? I mistakely read 74C as your load temp. You can use GPU-Z to check that as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

From your previous post I'm assuming you're experiencing the same behaviour at 1.05v? If so, try dropping voltage by 0.010v and test after every drop. More voltage = more heat. Try and find a compromise.

I don't know if there are reported issues with temp throttling on your laptop, but if there is, 1.075v isn't doing you any favours. It could also be your card just isn't a good overclocker. Pushing 1.075v for only 960Mhz is a bit much, I'm using my cards as a comparison as they are able to run at 950/1400 with 0.975v.

Hi svl7, please help me with my Clevo P170EM vbios :(I have a stock bios of my Clevo P170EM (bios backup works only in atiwinflash, dos version of atiflash (3.99 and 4.07) have this error )I need to change my stock clocks (850Mhz core, and 1200Mhz memory) to 970Mhz core and 1500Mhz memory without overvolting. How i can do that?Sorry for my English :(P170em_7970m.zip

Hi svl7, great work you guys have been doing here!

Can I confirm that the VBIOS's in the original post all have Enduro disabled?

Thanks!

Mrrnoname

Hi I`m not svl7 but I can confirm that Alienware m17x and m18x GPU Vbios doesn`t have Enduro enabled by default, so don`t worry about it.

Thanks with GPU tweaks now I can set my GPU voltages to 1.050v besides it changes back to 1.000v and 0.950v after reboot. Is there a way to change it definitively inside the hardware? What`s funny is that my PowerPlay options inside Catalyst is now gone:worked_till_5am: (13.6 version)

Hmmm... GPU Tweak doesn't show me the voltage adjustment when I use 13.6 or 13.8. There's no way to permanently set the adjustments... actually there is, its called a modded vBIOS flash :P

You can set GPU Tweak to load settings on Windows startup though. Tick the box under Settings->Tune->Tune Settings->Keep setting on for next start on close application. I detailed all my settings in the link in the post you quoted.

Hey nospheratu ! Did some tests and very strange... but I think that I'll need to change my thermal paste and see if it gets better. It seems better at 1.05 for the temps at 975mhz for example, it stayed @ 78-79 celsius degrees while running 3 benchmarks of metro last light. But it finished by throttling some time after, and trying to go upper than 975, if freezes if I don't change the voltage, and not sure but BSOD after beginning a test at @ 990 and 1.075 lol

So I'll see. Gotta buy some noctua nt-h1 thermal paste to see.

what do you think about that ?

What thermal paste are you currently using?

I personally don't believe in overvolting for daily use except for maybe a benchmark run. Running an overvolt daily even if its 0.025v will reduce the lifespan of your card. I'm speaking from my experience with my 5870M's which will only do stock clocks now after a year of + 0.025v and higher clocks.

I'm actually using NT-H1 on my cards currently as I had some that came with my cooler from my desktop build. It's a good paste and I'm idling around 33C with load temps of 65C. This is with 3D volts of 1.00v and stock clocks. The temps seem good but its winter here at the moment so I expect temps to increase during summer.

@Tulius I did some experimenting the past weekend I have no idea why our cards are selecting the lower voltage at stock settings. But if I edit the voltage table and replace the 0.975v entry in the voltage table with whatever I like it works. My theory is that for some reason these cards (both Clevo and Dell) select the 3D voltage from the voltage table according to some built in algorithm and according to the results, it ends up at that particular voltage entry in the voltage table.

I'm assuming that the algorithm involves a hardware component on the card which is providing different results. It could explain why both my cards end up at a different 3D voltage even though they are both flashed with the exact same stock vBIOS. They don't even match the default stock voltage of the vBIOS which is 1.05v.

This theory could be utter nonsense really, I'm just thinking out aloud... with my fingers... on my keyboard :P

Yeah, if I remember correctly my second card was 67C and the primary was 65C. That was just for testing, so I probably only played for around 30 minutes. I don't normally leave apps logging in the background as I find it can cause unnecessary stutter. Except for ThrottleStop, that's continuously running in the background monitoring my max core temps. Logging isn't enabled though.

I played Crysis 3 at High with Very High textures at native res so it wasn't really maxed.

Hi, i already flash vbios on my two 7970m cards (m18x r2 system) and now if i swich on crossfire i have problems in games like restart of a system and in benchmarks i have result like crossfire off........and cards change their clocks.....now 0 card have clocks like 1 before and 1 have like 0 before (1 now master as i understood)....sry for my english

Hi I`m not svl7 but I can confirm that Alienware m17x and m18x GPU Vbios doesn`t have Enduro enabled by default, so don`t worry about it.

Thank you for that post. I have been looking everywhere for this information. I currently have an MSI GX640 and I am about to (try) upgrade my graphics card to a Dell HD 7970M. I was just worried that the GPU wouldn't work because my laptop doesn't have Integrated Graphics Processing. I really hope that I can get this card to be fully functional though. This is the card that I bought from ebay: Alienware AMD HD Dell 7970M 2GB GDDR5 M15X M17x M18x Dell P N 9XVK3 | eBay

I just hope that I can get the heatsink to fit properly on my GPU. It comes with the GPU spreader on the back of it, and I bought the screws to go with it for $15 on ebay. Hopefully this GPU spreader will be compatible with the heatsink in the GX640 with the new screws. This is going to be the first laptop GPU upgrade that I ever attempted, and I know that it's going to be a pain in the ass and cause a lot of headaches. If worst come to worst, I will just have to resell the card that I bought if it doesn't work. So far it has been confirmed working that a Clevo 7970m works in my laptop, but at the time I did not think that it would matter if I had a Dell or Clevo card. After doing a lot of research, I found out that there is difference. I hate impulse buying, but the dell card was just so much cheaper!

Also does anyone know if this vbios will be compatible with the Dell 7970m? [GUIDE] - Blind-Flashing AMD 7970M modded vBIOS for Clevo P1xxHM Laptops

Hello. I want to upgrade my current GPU which is M8900 aka 6970 in my M6600 Dell laptop. The choice is Radeon 7970M. Anyone knows that heatsink from 6970M will fit on 7970M card? During swaping, I guess I have to change the thermal paste (IC7) but what about thermal pads? Should I install the new ones?

Thanks in advance :)