AMD 7970m - modified VBIOS

Well, you've given me some hope at least. As soon as I have some spare time I will try the procedure.

One final question - I am not completely sure, but probably I will not be able to short the pins with the HS on the card and then remove the wire with the heatsink still on. Did you do it with the card without a HS on?

Well, you've given me some hope at least. As soon as I have some spare time I will try the procedure.

One final question - I am not completely sure, but probably I will not be able to short the pins with the HS on the card and then remove the wire with the heatsink still on. Did you do it with the card without a HS on?

I have a heatsink on just left enough slack to be able to pull the wire off though the corner where the chip is located is not blocked

edit : if the pictures on the web are correct your card is underneath the keyboard right next to the memory slots and if your using a dell 7970 card the bios chip would be right next to the memory slots thus exposed when the keyboard is removed

The bios of the old card (I had a 017 before the 022) was right near the margin of the card, probably accessible without removing the HS; assuming the 022 has the exact same layout, you might be right and the procedure might be simpler than envisaged - in which case I will probably attempt it even sooner.:) I just hope I will not ruin the mobo as well :)

spent half a day dismantling and reassembling the M6600 - sorry to report it did not work on the dell.

but there might be other reasons at play, though I am now too tired to go through the entire procedure again. the dell bios acts up when you change memory (asks you to press F1 before booting, I think), and I was uninspired enough to try to boot with the "internal" memory only, leaving the one on the back out. I also have a password on the drive, and I had to enter that as well. I did all these steps blindly - not knowing if I was asked for F1, for instance - and I repeated them a few times in different orders, just to be sure. however, to no avail.

I'll try on the MSI as well one of these days - but I doubt it will work on a GT663R, since there is no on-die GPU, so probably the notebook will not boot at all...

spent half a day dismantling and reassembling the M6600 - sorry to report it did not work on the dell.

but there might be other reasons at play, though I am now too tired to go through the entire procedure again. the dell bios acts up when you change memory (asks you to press F1 before booting, I think), and I was uninspired enough to try to boot with the "internal" memory only, leaving the one on the back out. I also have a password on the drive, and I had to enter that as well. I did all these steps blindly - not knowing if I was asked for F1, for instance - and I repeated them a few times in different orders, just to be sure. however, to no avail.

I'll try on the MSI as well one of these days - but I doubt it will work on a GT663R, since there is no on-die GPU, so probably the notebook will not boot at all...

Can the dell boot with no video card installed (because of optimus support ?)? if the gt663r reacts the same as the gt683 then it would boot straight to windows without a video card installed albeit without video(obviously)

Yes, the Dell can do it and I am now sorry I did not do that - to remove all Dell warnings and passwords - before I dis- and re-assembled the M6600.

About the MSI I am not sure, because I do not have a CPU with on-die video.

Does the GT683 boot without a dedicated videocard?

Yes, the Dell can do it and I am now sorry I did not do that - to remove all Dell warnings and passwords - before I dis- and re-assembled the M6600.

About the MSI I am not sure, because I do not have a CPU with on-die video.

Does the GT683 boot without a dedicated videocard?

yep it goes straight to windows (you can hear the windows start up sound and responds to input)(igp is not wired i think )

Svl7 , did you manage to get the G73jh running with the upgraded GPU? Let me know . Did you blind flash it in the Asus or did you use a clevo laptop? Let me know. I have a clevo 7970m card with stock vbios. I need a good working vbios rom file.

• 2 weeks later...

:cry_002:Need help!

Bricked my Dell 7970m (stalled black screen boot won't progress through BIOS) because of the f****g stupid ATIWinFlash tool where I accidentally tapped with the other hand on the mouse-pad and the program suddenly (!) started flashing the loaded (I was just curious to see voltages etc.) VBIOS without a damn warning/confirm request!! When the nightmare comes true...

So, now... who can help me to blind re-flash the card (I have the vbios backup)? I'll pay of course for disturb...

Plase, PM me, it's a pain to go back to 5870m! :dispirited:

FIXED!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi svl7,

can you please upload the 7970m vbios with enduro off that works with the version 1.1 card in an clevo p150hm/p170hm. The default clevo enduro off bios dont work with the dirvers. I have a picture but if i install a driver i`m getting a bluescreen.

It's not possible, but you should be able to increase the memory voltage with a small pencil mod.

Can you post a picture where we ned to apply the pencil mod for the memory ? does this work on 8970M too ? Because I cannot overclock more then 10MHz on the memory of my girl friend ... Thx in advance

Looking for the download link to the amd 7970m vbios package. Managed to find the whole package download in this thread but can't seem to find it now :( Tried the link on the first page, does not work. Any help would be great.

Because I cannot overclock more then 10MHz on the memory of my girl friend

I tried overclocking my girlfriend, but her brain's firmware is locked :(

But really, as far as I know, there hasn't been much luck at all with overclocking the memory clocks on the 8970M.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

hi ( sorry for my language i am french :D )

i have a DELL 7970m on msi 16f2 with the 7970m mod.

it's ok with this @ stock volt and 1.075v

but i have a problem:

when i try the 1.1v i have a shutdown and reboot, i suppose 2 ways:

=> cause is the temperature ( shutdown @ 79° )

=> cause is the mobo or power ( i have a 240w PSU... )

how bypass this problem and is possible?????

hi ( sorry for my language i am french :D )

i have a DELL 7970m on msi 16f2 with the 7970m mod.

it's ok with this @ stock volt and 1.075v

but i have a problem:

when i try the 1.1v i have a shutdown and reboot, i suppose 2 ways:

=> cause is the temperature ( shutdown @ 79° )

=> cause is the mobo or power ( i have a 240w PSU... )

how bypass this problem and is possible?????

Strange, your temps and power are great. I have a 16f1 w/ 7970m and an overclocked 920xm and the 7970m works well at stock, with higher temps (90+*C max) and the original 150w power brick. Maybe the explanation is simpler: the card just cannot take the 1.1v.

• Thumbs Up 1