AMD 7970m - modified VBIOS

Svl7, I just wanted to thank you again for this, it seems to have solved a lot of my issues without any drop in performance! if you have a paypal account i'd be happy to send you a few euro to have a beer on me. Without your hard work most of us would not have even considered trying the 7970m. Keep up the good work!

Sure: http://goo.gl/z2ics

Cheers! :D

I installed Dell OEM 7970m (recent stock, 4 weeks old card) in M15x and everything went smooth, till I ran furmark and the moment temp reached 85C, it shuts down. Tried flashing vbios to 0.975v and same time, Just tried 0.950v and exact same thing. But with 0.950v, it took almost 12minutes to reach 85C while with stock and 0.975v it takes less than 5 minutes to reach 85C.

I installed the card using standard dell thermal pads kit and standard M15x heat sink from 5870 by removing C clamps from old screws and using new smaller screws.

What to do now?

You look familiar, do I know you from somewhere? :P

Your card should never reach 85 degrees especially when undervolted! Try getting new thermal pads for VRAM, I used these - Phobya Thermal pad Ultra 5W/mk 1mm (120x20mm). Dell pads suck.

Try better thermal paste - ICD7 or ICD24. I can assure you that a good paste job makes a huge difference to temperatures. Make sure with your new screws that sufficient pressure is being placed on the die.

Are the new screws long enough?

I used a very cheap thermal paste (MX-2) and did a pretty bad paste job but the highest temperatures I get with 0.975v is 72-73 after an hour or so of Bioshock Infinite on Ultra :)

EDIT: Do you need to run furmark? Its not a real world test and temps will never get that high in games?

No I don't know you ;)

I do have some phobya pads on order. I don't have any pads under the card, once I get new pads, I plan to add some, under the card as well. I am using as5, with what I consider a decent paste job, but will check again later today and repaste it again, screws are long enough, makes full contact with proper pressure on the die and VRAM.

I can into get AS5, MX4, Arctic Silver alumina, noctua nt-h1, indigo xtreme iaxm3 and manhattan tim locally, thinking of grabbing a tube of indigo ixam3. Icd7/24 is not available in aus, buying it off eBay (only icd7 available) means few days wait. I will try to grab a tube of indigo on the way back from work.

I use furmark to test stability and temps at full load, no other reason. Right now I use it as a quick burn in test to see how high temps are going, on my m17x, it goes to 71c after 6minutes of full load with similar dell 7970m and then it stays at 71c.

I will try some intake testing to see how it goes, if it stays under 80c for 60minutes while playing games, then I will be satisfied :)

King reported his gpu temps didn't go above 69 degrees (@900/1450) with his awesome cooling mod. I'm thinking of making a few intake holes in my case where heatsinks are to increase airflow over heatsink itself.

Just need to think of the best way to make a neat hole in plastic.

King reported his gpu temps didn't go above 69 degrees (@900/1450) with his awesome cooling mod. I'm thinking of making a few intake holes in my case where heatsinks are to increase airflow over heatsink itself.

Just need to think of the best way to make a neat hole in plastic.

I would love to do that but I am still looking for a decent mesh to cover the bottom holes.

Hi bro SVL7,

I am running a M17X R2 with a Dell 7970m card. The stock card seemed to run on 0,825v but I keep getting shutdowns at >85 degrees running furmark . I have already ensured proper X-bracket/heatsink fitting and sufficient thermal grease and pads were used on the GPU die and the Vrams/mosfets. Can u kindly post a vbios with 0.8v or even lower maybe 0.775v for me to lower the temp and avoid the shutdowns? I will gladly buy u a beer! =)

To SLV7:

Hi, I tried to use the vbios patcher and the provided vbios pack for 7970m, choosing the 0.95v and tried to set it to 0.925 and also 0.900 in the vbios patcher but it still reads at 0.95 in HWinfo64. I read earlier that you said that vbios patcher is a little outdated. Can you help me out by making a 0.900v or even a 0.875v version for me? I am running a m17x R2 with Dell 7970m meant for a m17x R4. The original bios on the card was 017, but I've tried flashing to 021 and 022 and no help at all. Its getting the dreaded auto shutdown when it hits 85 degrees. Pls help... Will be glad to buy u a beer if I can get this working. Thanks!

Your cooling should be sufficient in M17x. Try repasting the card with better paste (ICD7) and applying phobya thermal pads to the vram?

I think 0.925v isn't worth it or if its even stable. I'm running 100% stable on 0.975v 875/1450. Also 0.95v is very stable at 825/1350.

The heatsink gets hot when I run furmark so I believe the thermal contact should be good enough. I had also used shortened threads for the screws so that sufficient pressure is on the die of the GPU. Unfortunately here in Singapore there isn't any ICD7 or phobya pads so I pretty out of luck in this department. My last hope will be a undervolt to try bring them the temp when running 3D.

if the card came with a .017 vBIOS then you should just use the patcher against that older version; it doesn't work with anything newer. Though, if you're getting thermal shutdown at 0.950V without heightened clocks then you've likely got bigger issues. I'd suggest checking your paste, fans and heatsinks first, especially for dust and warping.

Hi slv7,

i have a brand new xmg p722 and a amd 7970m card.

Can you help me please to save the bios, an edit it ?

Sure, did you already try to use GPU-Z to save the vbios? That would be the easiest way.

Is it possible to have the Vbios pack translated to a Clevo P series (with Enduro). I would be happy to test the settings on my rig (P150em), to confirm that they're stable.

I've tryed to use AtiWinflash to extract the vbios, which seems to work.

You can find the stock Clevo P150EM.rom file here (which I extracted directly from the system): https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0dm65y484rch23y/DB-9W-UV54

Thanks in advance!

/aatind

Slv7 I'm told you're the guy for the job.

how many beers dó you want for a couple of vbios's?

I'm mostly interested in vbios's covering the lowest to the highest voltage (?v - 1.075v)

Would really be appreciated.

I Can make the beer's donation in forehand if you send me a link?

Cheers

/aatind

Sure, did you already try to use GPU-Z to save the vbios? That would be the easiest way.

Hey svl7,

Im also very interested in a overvolting BIOS for the 7970m on the p170em.

It is possible on this book?

THX

Found a 7970M Clevo BIOS in techpowerup vbios database, how can i check if this bios is compatible with enduro (P150EM)? Svl7 can you please edit the voltage of this one to 1.075v please so I can flash it before I put in in my EM machine (which don't support vBIOS flashing of 7970m or is that fixed with latest ATIFlash?)

Hi guys

I have a very strange problem. I first had a Dell vbios which worked fine but the HDMI port didn't work. I then received a new vbios which by the seller which should fix the hdmi problem. Its a Clevo vbios with SSID 0270 for Clevo P278WM (see picture in the attachment). The problem I have is that there is no way to change the vbios anymore. It is like this vbios is locked in a special way (never had something like that). I always receive a 0FL01 error. I tried to force it. I also tried it with about 10 different vbios and with winflash. I was so desperate I event tried it with all different versions of Atiflash. No I just get: Adapter not found. But the card works great. Is overclocked and I get 7000 3dmark11 gpu score.

Has anyone an idea how to unlock this bios and change it to a different one? Or any way to get a working hdmi?

Greetings from Switzerlandpost-9345-14494995534767_thumb.jpg