AMD 7970m - modified VBIOS

Ashram how did you manage to flash? I'm still getting same old/new values for everything. Did you do anything different or did it randomly work?

Random, I was lucky I guess... I flashed it with the .95v and nothing then flashed the .975v reset the laptop once tested and no change, still 1.0v... Next day turned it on doing nothing out of the norm and it had went from 1.0v to .975v somehow... Very odd but it did lower my temps. I underclocked from the stock 800 core and 1000 memory as well. It is stable and working well, plus FFXIV ARR 2.0 just released an official benchmark which is scoring better and peak temp lowered. I guess they optimized it to run more efficiently than the previous one they released in Feb. I am going to test hours of gameplay this weekend as my final test on the 7970m custom upgrade for prolonged use. If it performs like it did with the benchmark then maximum settings at 1920x1080 runs the game very high performance and has no problem at all. Cross your fingers on the prolonged usage temps! I will cry if after a few hours it hits 85C and shuts down... I ordered a new CM Storm SF-19 to replace my Targus cooling pad. I hope it helps keep it cooler since it seems to have better fans.

Man that is so strange how it didn't flash right away and appeared later. I hope that happens to me. If anyone has any ideas on why this is happening please let me know. So sick of being stuck at 0.975v. I just want to get back to stock.

As for the 85C shutdowns it's so random for me. I'll be playing for about 30mins with decent temps 65-75c. Then it will randomly reach +80C and eventually shutdown :(

Man that is so strange how it didn't flash right away and appeared later. I hope that happens to me. If anyone has any ideas on why this is happening please let me know. So sick of being stuck at 0.975v. I just want to get back to stock.

As for the 85C shutdowns it's so random for me. I'll be playing for about 30mins with decent temps 65-75c. Then it will randomly reach +80C and eventually shutdown :(

Update, try turbo boost at the top right touch bar. When I had my Nvidia 260m it would always cause bad performance, but try it with the 7970. I noticed it lowers the voltage on the 7970 further and lowering temps greatly. If I keep turbo boost on I think I will need to now overclock the core and memory to get better performance from the 7970 since the lowered voltage lags its performance. I will have to test this further

EDIT: New update! I have figured it out... svl7's BIOS work fine but I now know why it didn't result in a complete flash right after. Do exactly as he has posted but you must uninstall all drivers from your m15x and then go to Device Manager and uninstall the card. Then reinstall drivers and reset. You will then experience the flash as intended... Who knew right!?! Hope this helps anyone else who might have over looked these steps :)

Update, try turbo boost at the top right touch bar. When I had my Nvidia 260m it would always cause bad performance, but try it with the 7970. I noticed it lowers the voltage on the 7970 further and lowering temps greatly. If I keep turbo boost on I think I will need to now overclock the core and memory to get better performance from the 7970 since the lowered voltage lags its performance. I will have to test this further

EDIT: New update! I have figured it out... svl7's BIOS work fine but I now know why it didn't result in a complete flash right after. Do exactly as he has posted but you must uninstall all drivers from your m15x and then go to Device Manager and uninstall the card. Then reinstall drivers and reset. You will then experience the flash as intended... Who knew right!?! Hope this helps anyone else who might have over looked these steps :)

When you say uninstall all drivers from your M15X are you talking about all GPU drivers? And by reset you mean reboot your laptop? Also what order d'you do this in. Flash, then uninstall drivers, reinstall, reboot? Or Uninstall drivers first, flash, then reinstall?

When you say uninstall all drivers from your M15X are you talking about all GPU drivers? And by reset you mean reboot your laptop? Also what order d'you do this in. Flash, then uninstall drivers, reinstall, reboot? Or Uninstall drivers first, flash, then reinstall?

1) Flash New BIOS 2) Uninstall ATI Drivers 3) Device Manager >> Uninstall Display Driver 4) Reboot 5) Reinstall ATI Drivers.... This was the order I did it and it works but someone else might see it can be done in a different order as well.

I am sure there maybe other ways to do the order but this is how I did it... 1) Flash BIOS wanted 2) Uninstall ATI drivers 3) Device manager >> Uninstall Display Driver 4) Reboot system 5) Install ATI Drivers 6) Test System for changes

Were you talking to me or answering someone else?

You. I'm trying to get more info before I resign to having Dell refund my M17x R4. Still, unless they're willing to swap for 680m parts (which would ruin FOSS Linux driver chances) then I think svl7 might have had the final word about voltage irregularities/UEFI vBIOS issues plaguing (any) newer 7970m chips.

I am sure there maybe other ways to do the order but this is how I did it... 1) Flash BIOS wanted 2) Uninstall ATI drivers 3) Device manager >> Uninstall Display Driver 4) Reboot system 5) Install ATI Drivers 6) Test System for changes

I'm so sick of this. I just tried all of that and it still didn't work. Still stuck at 0.975v. I don't understand why it's doing this.

When I flash a new BIOS all the values are still the same. Did that continue to happen for you even when it finally changed?

Also I don't understand steps 2 and 3 in your instructions. Are you talking about the same thing in both? Simply uninstalling the devices drivers?

I just tried this all multiple times with different drivers and nothing is working. So frustrating ><

Ok so my voltage is still stuck at 0.975v. I flashed the stock ROM twice, the second time when trying to flash it said "Flash has already been programmed". So I used the command in Svl7s guide to save the current/original BIOS to my usb key. I then read the file and it really is the stock ROM.. 850/1200 with 1050 3d voltage.

So why is my voltage still stuck at 0.975? Anyone with any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

By means of what software you changed a voltage?

I used msi afterburner to unlock overdrive in CCC, and then went in the xml profile that CCC makes, scrolled down and changed 0.975v to 1.030 :D

Using the latest Amd beta drivers 13.3 beta 3

13.2 couldnt go higer then 920 core :S so definitely driver limmited :P

I can game with 1000mhz on core @ 1.075v for about 5 min and the dam pc crashes... strange...

I used msi afterburner to unlock overdrive in CCC, and then went in the xml profile that CCC makes, scrolled down and changed 0.975v to 1.030 :D

Using the latest Amd beta drivers 13.3 beta 3

13.2 couldnt go higer then 920 core :S so definitely driver limmited :P

I can game with 1000mhz on core @ 1.075v for about 5 min and the dam pc crashes... strange...

Will this method allow me to undervolt? I have a card with a vbios at .21 so i can't undervolt yet by flashing a bios.

edit: just tried it, for some reason when i change the voltage from 1000 to 975 its not taking effect, according to hwinfo its still using 1v and i'm also having a issue with it reverting back to 1000 in the xml file at random times, anyone got any suggestions how to make the undervolt stick using this method?

Hey guys, I tried to flashing my Dell 7970M with a few options from SVL7s package but I get black screen issues when gaming. I can play games for 20-40min then my screen goes black and I have to do a hard reset to get the display back. Anyone know if this is normal? Any suggestions on how to fix this? I'm using a m17x r4 with A05 unlocked bios. Thanks!

Will this method allow me to undervolt? I have a card with a vbios at .21 so i can't undervolt yet by flashing a bios.

edit: just tried it, for some reason when i change the voltage from 1000 to 975 its not taking effect, according to hwinfo its still using 1v and i'm also having a issue with it reverting back to 1000 in the xml file at random times, anyone got any suggestions how to make the undervolt stick using this method?

Forget to say that you have to close 2 things before changeing the voltage. In task manager close: CCC.exe and MOM.exe then change the voltage and be sure to Ctrl+s before you close the xml file, and start CCC again :encouragement:

I have restarted since and the xml file seems to have finally saved my choice of 975. However when I'm playing a game it is still using the 1v. Will closing and restarted ccc fix this issue?

Edit: after a bit of testing it seems this method will allow me over overvolt to whatever i want but if you try to undervolt below 1v it will just revert to default, I have tried every combination in the xml file of 0975, 975, 0.975 and 950 in case it will only drop in 50's. however it just reverts to 1v as soon as the 3d clock come in, bugger, really need a way to undervolt my card. Using a dell card in a m15x on the latest 13.3 drivers btw.

I have restarted since and the xml file seems to have finally saved my choice of 975. However when I'm playing a game it is still using the 1v. Will closing and restarted ccc fix this issue?

Edit: after a bit of testing it seems this method will allow me over overvolt to whatever i want but if you try to undervolt below 1v it will just revert to default, I have tried every combination in the xml file of 0975, 975, 0.975 and 950 in case it will only drop in 50's. however it just reverts to 1v as soon as the 3d clock come in, bugger, really need a way to undervolt my card. Using a dell card in a m15x on the latest 13.3 drivers btw.

I'm curious did you try overvolting your card beyond 1050v? If so did it work out? I'm stuck at 0.975v. Not matter how many times I flash. So I'm trying to find a way to get my voltage back to stock.

Merde... Guys do not use the xml method in CCC if you want to overclock, its verry buggy and verry unstable.

If you wanna OV/UV and you got a newer card, the ONLY way to make it work is with the new Vbios patcher that is taking verry long to make...

I know its hard to make but... Merde.. I WANT STABLE OC :64:

Merde... Guys do not use the xml method in CCC if you want to overclock, its verry buggy and verry unstable.

If you wanna OV/UV and you got a newer card, the ONLY way to make it work is with the new Vbios patcher that is taking verry long to make...

I know its hard to make but... Merde.. I WANT STABLE OC :64:

are they even working on it though? when was the last time we got an update on its progress?