AMD 7970m - modified VBIOS

I have 015.022.000.001 vBios for my Alienware M17x R4

[ATTACH]5658[/ATTACH]

Edit: Attached Delll vBios 015.022.000.001

For some reason I had the urge to flash this vbios onto my clevo 7970m.

Now it's bricked. I'll just quote the post I made on NBR:

I have bricked my 7970m by flashing the dell vbios found here:

AMD 7970m - modified VBIOS - Page 30

I have tried the autoexec method, and blindly typing, also the batch file method, nothing seems to work.

It looks like the notebook is hanging somewhere and not POSTing.

It turns on, the HDD lights come on, but then 30 seconds or so it turns off, the green light (AC power light) flashes about 3 times and then the notebook comes back on and stays on.

Not sure what I can to do revive it.

Not getting any beeps.

Anyway have any ideas?

Why didn't it work?

Also if anyone has any 7970m vbios chips available I'm interested in buying one :)

Or if anyone needs a clevo 7970m flashed with a dell vbios let me know I could sell this gpu. Any M18x r1 owners looking to upgrade :P

Not getting any beeps.

Anyway have any ideas?

Why didn't it work?

Also if anyone has any 7970m vbios chips available I'm interested in buying one :)

Or if anyone needs a clevo 7970m flashed with a dell vbios let me know I could sell this gpu. Any M18x r1 owners looking to upgrade :P

That vbios contains the UEFI drivers as well. You have a HM series system, right? The vbios which contain the uefi stuff cause severe issues on the HM machines, as well sometimes on the EM systems when they're not on the latest EC/BIOS.

No idea why exactly, it must be firmware related, crappy bios implementation by Clevo, this definitely shouldn't happen. Even my old laptop which runs on a legacy bios has no issues with such vbios files.

I have vbios chips laying around here, ready to flash.

I have vbios chips laying around here, ready to flash.

Would you be able to mail me one with a clevo HM vbios on it?

If so, please pm me the total price including postage to Australia.

I didn't think the bios would be so picky.

@Clyde that's for the suggestion but I don't own such a programmer (not sure where to get and also which one to get).

....I have vbios chips laying around here, ready to flash.

I see that you are kind of the vBIOS guru here :) ?

I have a small question:

An acquaintance of mine bought a AMD 7970m from Eurocom to use in a Clevo P170EM but it does not seem to work.

He has a BTO P170EM and i guess that the difference in bios would be the bad guy here.

He offered the card to me for €200,00 if i wanted it, but i have a Alienware M17x R2 and it would NOT be plug and play.

So my question is:

Is it even possible to flash to Clevo 7970 to an Alienware 7970..?

I have read some forums where it as where others say that it cannot...:crushed:

I hope someone here can tell me if it can or cannot be done.

I see that you are kind of the vBIOS guru here :) ?

I have a small question:

An acquaintance of mine bought a AMD 7970m from Eurocom to use in a Clevo P170EM but it does not seem to work.

He has a BTO P170EM and i guess that the difference in bios would be the bad guy here.

He offered the card to me for €200,00 if i wanted it, but i have a Alienware M17x R2 and it would NOT be plug and play.

So my question is:

Is it even possible to flash to Clevo 7970 to an Alienware 7970..?

I have read some forums where it as where others say that it cannot...:crushed:

I hope someone here can tell me if it can or cannot be done.

Ok sorry for the spam...i found also several threads here that state, that it CAN be done.....i just need to find the right vBIOS for my Alienware M17x R2....make a bootable usb stick....use the forced command line fucntion and it should be done...?

Should i open a different thread or can some one point me to the correct thread....

my M18X is also bricked by that vBIOS. My system was not posting either. But i got lucky. I only bricked one card. i use another card to guide my system and be able to flash them both. However, i cannot install drivers with 015.017 version of vBIOS. Everything is fine after i flashed both of my card into 015.021.

For some reason I had the urge to flash this vbios onto my clevo 7970m.

Now it's bricked. I'll just quote the post I made on NBR:

Not getting any beeps.

Anyway have any ideas?

Why didn't it work?

If you know someone with an M18x, chances are pretty good that they should be able to fix your card by installing it in their system temporarily and re-flashing the firmware. This technique works on the same principle as using a PCI card as the primary display adapter in a desktop PC to flash firmware to an AGP or PCIe video card that suffered a bad flash.

You have to boot the M18x with the IGFX and GPUs both active simultaneously (by changing a setting in the BIOS from PEG to SG) and then the 7970M will be visible to the motherboard and flashable. I have used this method to revive my own ATI cards from a failed flash and did the same for another M17x R3 user that had upgraded to 7970M. If you were flashing the ATI card within Windows instead of a bootable DOS thumb drive, this could actually be what bricked it. Using ATIWinFlash seems to be prone to issues with AMD cards and that is what bricked all three of the 7970M GPUs that I have revived. (It was not caused by flashing the incorrect firmware.)

Thanks for the tip, btw I always use dos from a USB flash drive to flash.

Not that I don't trust windows, I just am more familiar with flashing from dos.

never trust windows, caused me a lot of trouble by flashing under Windows
With ATI/AMD GPUs it is more of a hazard. I don't know if it is a matter of not trusting Windows as much as not having a consistently good outcome using the available ATI/AMD flash utility in a Windows environment. Either way, flashing seems to be more prone to problems with ATI/AMD cards so the minor inconvenience of using DOS is worth it to reduce the risk of a bad flash.

I have had no issues using NVFlash for Windows with 580M and 680M GPUs. Even though this is more convenient, a system reboot is still required. So, it's not that much different in the grand scheme of things.

What other methods are there to undervolt, besides bios flashing?

You can overclock and undervolt using ccc XML trick.. I tryed to overvolting using that method but i get downclocking while stressed, anything over 1.00v and the core downclocks to 450mhz. Anyone have any ide of why this happens? My stock voltage is 0.975.. i guess im unlucky :/

I can OV and OC for sure via the xml method, but I am trying to UV. I set 950 in the xml but all monitoring programs show 1v in full load (hwinfo64, hw monitor). Only MSI Kombustor shows the lowered voltage (0.950v). Any tips?

Here is the best guide for xcl trick and it works with latest ati drivers:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18431335

Before all this, I installed AMD Overdrive 4.2.3 and I had ATI 12.8 driver installed.

If someone doesn't know then you can change volts Users/YOUR USERNAME/AppData/Local/ATI/ACE/Profiles

You open it with notepad and make changes under overdrive profile.

For example:

Feature name="CoreVoltageTarget

Property name="Want_0" value="800" 800=0.8 volts

Property name="Want_1" value="1000" 1000=1.0 volts

change it to

Property name="Want_0" value="825" 825=0.825 volts

Property name="Want_1" value="1050" 1050=1.050 volts

Changes to volt will be applied if overdrive is enabled and you have to restart windows.

You can see changes with programs like: GPU Shark, GPU-Z, HWMonitor etc.