AMD 7970m - modified VBIOS

Only brightness issue ive seen was when HWiNFO accessed certain sensors even would make a black screen. But as yiu know Mumak creator of HWiNFO has already fixed that. Only thing i can think is what exact driver are you on right now as in past most brightness issues ever on AMD are driver related.

I also think it's driver related... though it might also be a BIOS issue. Which notebook do you have? An R3? Do all users with the same model experience this issue?

If youve changed driver even once... what you could try is removing the driver completely and clean up with Driversweeper and ccleaner and also search the registry with regedit looking for any lefotver registry entries. Restart give another driver sweeper and ccleaner run and make sure nothing is left i be found. Make sure to check device manager that gpus say vga adapter otherwise unibstall thereto and check delete driver and again restart. Reload the driver and retest.

If you have flashed a vbios at all try redownloading the stock vbios and reflashing. I agree SVL7 It could be a basic prob in one of them. Only a select few tkes i had glitches flashing vbios after and reflashing fixed for me and also had a few driver clean installs which also helped me.goodluck. if you hadnt done any of the above a driver reinstall still may help.

Are you using any third party mknitoring software like afterburner has an on screen disllay of sensors. You can try to close all monitoring aoftware and restatrtwithout iut it run and see if that helps any. Must be a commkn factor betwen some of these r3's exhibiting this.

• Founder
Yes its an r3, some are and some are not it is very strange.

Catalysts have an auto dim "feature" built into them. Check the CCC and make sure its disabled.

I missed that in any catalyst i used so theres that which Brian mentioned. You xanlook in windows services and disable the auto dim service whichh is built into windows and functions in any pc which has the light sensor built in usually part ofa laptops camera.

The issue may not be the sutodim but an actual glitch where the brightness is locked at lowest brightness and that has also been observed on these systems.

• 2 weeks later...

I do not really understand it there with checksums. The modified clocks checksums you have are either 5600, 5700, or 5800. My checksums for gpu0=9300 and gpu1=5000. Which is the correct vbios to choose?

I have a alienware m18x r2 with 7970m crossfirex

Your current vbios files have nothing to do with the checksums. These are the checksums of the files I uploaded, just so that you can make sure it didn't get corrupted.

Put the vbios you want to flash on your USB drive and then check it's checksum with atiflash (

atiflash -cf vbiosfile -> you can refer to

this AMD VBIOS flashing guide)

• Thumbs Up 2

Alright thank you for the information, i thougt the had to be equivalent.

I have another question though. The "amd vbios flashing guide" only guides you if you have a single card.

How do i flash my cards if i have crossfirex?

Sorry im a newbie at this..

Check out the second post in the guide, I listed all commands.

You need to flash both cards, each card has a unique adapter nr., probably 0 and 1. Use atiflash -i to see the adapter numbers. The flash with atiflash -p i vbiosname.rom (while i is the number... e.g. 0 or 1).

that's a bummer) have a keyboard on my m17xr4 replaced in a week or so (i'm in Ukraine) cause i received my unit with few not functioning keys. And the only letter key that doesn't work is "P", so i can't flash in non-windows working environment, he-he! in windows i use on-screen keyboard, can't do that in dos!

I already tried to explain this a couple of times in the last few pages... Seems people don't completely get the idea of a checksum... All you need to do is compare the noted checksum with the file you want to flash, just to make sure your file didn't get corrupted while downloading. The checksum of your current vbios doesn't matter.

Read through the last couple of pages and you'll even find the proper command for this. Or read the first post and you'll see it as well....

• Thumbs Up 1

yep, got it as soon as i read the vbios flash thread. sry) now just have to wait for the kb replacement and i'm ready to shoot for a ov vbios. the 7970m card work flawless for me, with stock voltage i'm gaming/benaching at 975/1560 at 68C i wonder if i can hit 1050/1560 stable... hmmm

So... what's the highest stable core clock possible? Anyone taken it to 1075/1100 yet?

Just wondering, been out of the loop for too long.

svl7, I don't suppose you could sort this brightness issue out by changing settings in the vbios? I know many people would much appreciate it.

Here is the best temp fix: http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware-m17x/678968-7970m-dim-screen-fix-r3-sort.html#post8732198

• 2 weeks later...
anyway i can get just a 1.75v or 1.25v vbios with stock clocks?

Hello guys,

i had flashed the 1.075v and 1.100v modded bios.

It seems that don´t give me more overclocking possibility!!!!

My max overclocking with stock voltage is 930 Mhz in 3dMark11 and with

the modded vbios i can´t go even higher!!!!

What is wrong with my hd 7970m??????

Did somebody have an idea?

Thanks

Your GPU has to work dead stable at 850/1250, everything else isn't guaranteed, any possible overclock can be seen as a kind of "bonus". More voltage won't necessarily help, especially not if the quality of the asic is low.

What kind of notebook do you use?

Your GPU has to work dead stable at 850/1250, everything else isn't guaranteed, any possible overclock can be seen as a kind of "bonus". More voltage won't necessarily help, especially not if the quality of the asic is low.

What kind of notebook do you use?

I have the M17xR4 Bios A04 with i7-3720qm and using the stock Dell driver.The asic quality is shown with 82.8%

Now i use your modified vbios stock voltage 925/1300 Mhz.

Everything seems stable and works great with this clocks.

But 935 Mhz core clock is the maximum,my Vram goes up to 1675 mhz in 3dMark11.

Thank you for the modded Bios.

Bye the way i can´t download the vbios patcher

hey guys .

I recently got my dell 7970m and fitted it into my m15x. due to overheating issues with forced shutdowns I deciced to flash the vbios. I tried several roms, but unfortunately it ended all up with the same result. 975mv worked best of all these . Temps above 85°c first came up after 10min furmarking. So then I thought let's try 950mv. After flashing and rebooting the system does not start anymore. No bios screen , nothing. The checksum was okay. After several attempts of hitting the damn boot button , I've seen the scroll and caps light flashing. I looked up the dell support and figured out this is coming from mobo or gpu. I then swapped the 7970m with my stock 260m and the system booted normally.

So my question: is it possible the gpu gets too less power now so the mainboard doesn't recognize it anymore?

And how can I flash the gpu again to put a different vbios on it ? I don't think the card is fucked. Why should it ? Definitely not due to not enough power O_o

Chefs

That's most unfortunate, sounds like a bad flash... for whatever reason. Changing the 3d voltage should not affect the booting as far as I know... it shouldn't cause issues until the driver loads.

Anyway, you need to get the card reflashed, but that's a bit tricky if the system doesn't boot.

I already helped several users to revive bricked cards and can offer you two options: You can send me your card and I re-flash it with a proper vbios, or I send you a vbios chip, programmed with the a functioning vbios and you need to replace the current one with it. If interested send me an email (since you can't PM until you have 5 posts).

uargh, sh*t :(

Didn't think it's that complicated. Just in case I would replace the chip on my own, what would I have to do? As far as I can see, the chips are all propper soldered, so that would be very very tricky...

I've got the tools, that's not the problem, but if I'm right and I have to solder chips that is gonna be a way too complicated...

Now, of all times this had to happen :((( I'm gonna get my 940xm and 16GB ram in the next couple of days :(

Yeah, you'd need to solder if you do it yourself. One chip.

You can send me your card, but I live in Switzerland, if you're oversea shipping a card is pretty slow and quite expensive. It's a bit different when it comes to a chip.

Well, yeah. I live in London at the moment. But from time to time I'm at home in Germany. I live just next to Switzerland at Lake Constance. To send you the card would take a couple of days, not more. So that's not the prob. I'm gonna write you an e-mail, that's the much better way ;)

Which language do you prefer? Swiss-German or English?

Alright, London isn't too bad for shipping, Germany is even better, but it's still not cheap if I remember, at least sending it back, Swiss Postal Service is crazy...

Yeah sure, send me an email, German, Swiss-German, English... whatever you prefer.