AMD 7970m - modified VBIOS

ADMIN EDIT 12/15/15: The original referenced zip pack is now restored.

Did some tests with the VBIOS of the AMD 7970m, here's what I've got so far:

- Overvolting: So far no success, when I increase the 3d voltage the card simply stays at the 2d profile. Fixed that 

Be aware that overvolting should only be done by experienced users and can seriously harm your GPU, shorten the life of its components and lead to unsuspected effects and / or system instability. I take no responsibility for any possible damages.

Overvolting has been tested by me and @widezu69 (thanks!). It works, but can lead to instability, you need to find your limit. The M15x doesn't handle it well. I noticed similar behaviour as with my overvolted 6970m, drops in clocks, instability etc. At 1.15V even immediate crash at GPU load.

The M17x R3 seems to handle it a bit better, there's probably more headroom in the voltage supply circuits which are providing the voltage for the GPU.

I was able to run some vantage tests at 1Ghz with a 0.05V overvolt, my previous core clock limit was at about 950Mhz... so it definitely works. Different systems will behave in different ways, only way to find it out is to test it. Don't do it if you lack overclock experience.

- Undervolting: Only did some quick tests, but it seems to work. The driver crashed all the time at clocks which normally worked fine. And at more sane clocks the card worked as expected. - Update: Yes, works very well :) 

- Core / memory clocks: Works fine so far, I only tested the 3d settings, but I assume it also works for the other clock profiles.

In the GPU-Z screenshot you can see the changed clocks:

post-80-14494993220183_thumb.jpg

A package with a selection of modified VBIOS files can be found here: AMD 7970M vbios pack

There's quite a bit of work behind this, so just in case you want to buy me a beer... :)

Here's a list of what the package contains. The names are pretty self-explanatory.

"uv" for undervolt, "ov" for overvolt, clocks are "core-memory"

Keep in mind that you need to rename the files before flashing due to the 8 character file name limit in DOS.

Modified clocks:
Dell7970m-900-1250.ROM
Dell7970m-925-1300.ROM
Dell7970m-940-1350.ROM
Dell7970m-940-1400.ROM
Dell7970m-950-1350.ROM
Dell7970m-950-1400.ROM

Undervolted:
Dell7970m-uv-0950v.ROM
Dell7970m-uv-0975v.ROM
Dell7970m-uv-1000v.ROM

Overvolted:
Dell7970m-ov-1125v.ROM
Dell7970m-ov-1150v.ROM

Overvolted & modified clocks:
Dell7970m-900-1300-ov1075v.ROM
Dell7970m-900-1300-ov1100v.ROM
Dell7970m-950-1400-ov1100v.ROM

All files are based on the OEM Dell 7970m VBIOS.

Instructions:

For flashing refer to this guide:

There's a list with the checksums of all files included in the VBIOS package, I highly recommend to check the integrity of the file before flashing it. This can easily be done with ATIflash, if you don't know how please check the guide linked above. 

And as always, flash on your own risk, you are responsible for your system and the changes you make on it.

Feel free to ask questions, feedback is welcome as well!

• Thumbs Up 32

Hey svl7, if you have the time, could you have a look at this vbios:

The version number is slightly different and I have found it to be more stable I dunno why.

Have you tried every entry in the voltage tables? I'm hoping that it will allow just one of them. :) I seem to recall that it goes somewhere up to 1.225v? Would be amazing to have some sort of overvolt!

7970M.zip

• Thumbs Up 2

That's the same vbios as the one which was on my card, I tried overvolting with both of them. I didn't try all entries so far, but if you want to help, I can put together a package of modded vbios and you can flash one after another and see whether it works somehow... I somehow doubt it will. The 3d profile entry is slightly different than in the previous AMD cards, it might need an additional trick, I'm not sure. All the things I tried so far didn't work, and since the undervolting seemed to work I kinda think I did it correctly. The weird thing is that there are a lot of voltage entries, in the past all the higher entries have been valid, and e.g. for the 6900m series, the 3d profile was at the highest entry by default, which isn't the case here.

That's the same vbios as the one which was on my card, I tried overvolting with both of them. I didn't try all entries so far, but if you want to help, I can put together a package of modded vbios and you can flash one after another and see whether it works somehow... I somehow doubt it will. The 3d profile entry is slightly different than in the previous AMD cards, it might need an additional trick, I'm not sure. All the things I tried so far didn't work, and since the undervolting seemed to work I kinda think I did it correctly. The weird thing is that there are a lot of voltage entries, in the past all the higher entries have been valid, and e.g. for the 6900m series, the 3d profile was at the highest entry by default, which isn't the case here.

Yeah if you could that would be awesome. I would love for you to mod that vbios I posted into:

900/1250 + stock volts (that should work like normal I assume which is what I will be using normally)

900/1250 + with all overvolts for testing.

Thanks man!

Hello every one! Im semi new here and Ive got a question if you dont mind..

Im running the mod drivers and every thing seems to crash.. I have a cf set up and well even minecraft blue screens me..yet i can run other things.. Ive searched hi and low for Drivers that are stable.. any advice would be great!

Also these vbios what system are they made for or are they universal?

thanks

• Thumbs Up 1

What laptop are you using? Here's a link to the 7970m drivers of the Alienware M17x R4, but they're actually an older version than the modified leaked CCC 12.5.

The VBIOS files are based on the one of the Dell 7970m which can be found in the M17x R4. I can't guarantee that they're compatible with cards from different manufacturers like Clevo, but in the past it has been possible to flash certain cards from different manufacturers with the Dell vbios, with changing results.

If you happen to have a non-Dell 7970m please upload your VBIOS here so I can take a look at it.

• Thumbs Up 1

What laptop are you using? Here's a link to the 7970m drivers of the Alienware M17x R4, but they're actually an older version than the modified leaked CCC 12.5.

The VBIOS files are based on the one of the Dell 7970m which can be found in the M17x R4. I can't guarantee that they're compatible with cards from different manufacturers like Clevo, but in the past it has been possible to flash certain cards from different manufacturers with the Dell vbios, with changing results.

If you happen to have a non-Dell 7970m please upload your VBIOS here so I can take a look at it.

m18x-r1.. and those drivers do not work on my laptop at all... its like it doesn't see my cards or laptop but the mod7900 one does?

one this im seeing is that my hardware ids are not listed in these drivers..

PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6800&SUBSYS_048F1028&REV_00

PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6800&SUBSYS_048F1028

PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6800&CC_030000

PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6800&CC_0300

is there some thing wrong with my cards?

Edited by DigitalFubar

m18x-r1.. and those drivers do not work on my laptop at all... its like it doesn't see my cards or laptop but the mod7900 one does?

one this im seeing is that my hardware ids are not listed in these drivers..

PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6800&SUBSYS_048F1028&REV_00

PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6800&SUBSYS_048F1028

PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6800&CC_030000

PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6800&CC_0300

is there some thing wrong with my cards?

I hope you get it working with maybe advice from SVL7. we all would love to hear and see how they work out... ( ;) especially us fellow M18x R1 owners)

I hope you get it working with maybe advice from SVL7. we all would love to hear and see how they work out... ( ;) especially us fellow M18x R1 owners)

thanks for the support.. i convinced dell to swap my 6990s with the 7970s.. they will work its just a matter of time

hmmm thats some major info my friend good to know if we have issues theres a small tiny chance they'll swap 6990m to 7970m... and if they will do that the also nearly equivalent of the 6990m the Nvidia 580m may be also accepted as a part theyd be willing to swap to if there are issues.

hmmm thats some major info my friend good to know if we have issues theres a small tiny chance they'll swap 6990m to 7970m... and if they will do that the also nearly equivalent of the 6990m the Nvidia 580m may be also accepted as a part theyd be willing to swap to if there are issues.

i can upload the packing slip as proof lol..

VBIOS package is online, have fun overclocking, please report back! It's always good to get some feedback, and there's a lot of time behind this.

First post updated with some information and download link.

VBIOS package is online, have fun overclocking, please report back! It's always good to get some feedback, and there's a lot of time behind this.

Had a problem flashing the 1.1v one. It seems corrupt? I got a flash error.

The files are okay. Make sure it didn't get corrupted (checksum) and also keep in mind that you need to rename the file for flashing with DOS, 8 character limit for file names.

Hi and thanks for all your hard work!

Can you tell me some thing.. is there an updated vbios on the first post that is stock? that might help me?

I mean I think that my card is not being found by the program do to my bios?

I might be completely off track but its just a thought..

I really think you have the same VBIOS on your cards as the one which can be found in the R4 and which is the one used for the mods. That's the most recent vbios of this card I've seen so far.

The files are okay. Make sure it didn't get corrupted (checksum) and also keep in mind that you need to rename the file for flashing with DOS, 8 character limit for file names.

Fixed it, it was a bad extraction from the archive so it wasn't complete. Working fine now. All OV vbios work. For me 1.1v is the sweet spot. Gonna see if I can hit 1.1Ghz :D

Ok, cool. That's why I added the checksum, I'll include this somewhere in the first post, so people make sure the files aren't corrupted.

ok hello again.. ive been playing with the mod 7900 drivers and the stock dell drivers.. from what i can see and maybe im wrong is that the M18x-r1 vs the m14x-r4 have different VBIOS?

ive moved files and folders and infi files around and got the stock dell drivers to install but i bluescreen on every thing.. and it shows up as the mod7900 drivers..

so i ask this if i flash to one of your vbios is there a chance my system wont recognize my cards any more? and since im running a Cross fire set up.. do i flash both cards with the same bios?

thanks a ton for all your help..

It's very unlikely that the VBIOS is different, but if you want me to check I need a copy of your VBIOS. And it has been ages since I've last seen a slave / master vbios setup, so yes, both cards the same vbios.