AMD 7970m - modified VBIOS

hello guys i'm new here and need to ask a couple of questions

first i have m15x that i am trying to upgrade to the 7970m and i purchased one that was advertised for the m15x

09xvk3 7970m is what i bought . so now i have attempted to install but it doesn't post . the code is video card is preventing post

is there any way of getting to post or is the card no good or not compatible any help would be much appreciated

thank you

• 2 weeks later...

hey everyone again i'm new here and trying to get a 7970m going on my m15x and when i received the unit it gave the error code for video card preventing post. is there anything that i can do to get past this or does it mean it's an expensive paper weight

any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

:cheerful: Hello !

(sorry for my bad english! (but i'm french))

Thank you for all the work that has been done on this forum, thank you to you all.

I just buy in EBay one graphic card HD 7970m for my old M17X-R2 for to replace my 5870m CrossFire.

My m17x have a bios A10 modé V1F. (The last bios modé for this machine, i mean)

My 7970m is Dell model with Vbios 015.017.000.001.042717 (133-C42904A1-117).

I bought NT-H1 Thermic past and Phobya thermic pad (7W/mk) in 0.5 mm and 1 mm because i have a problem with my 7970m.

My 7970m turn correctly at 36-37°C but when i do something in 3D, she goes 87°C and my computer crash.

So, in theory with my new past and pad this problem should be set but i think is not normal the 7970m shutdown at 87°C .

Why is not 95°C or 100 C° for shutdown ? is it possible to change this by the VbioS, the bios or windows ?

Before, with my old 5870m CrossFire I changed my VBIOS and I do my personal VBIOS with RBE and AtiwinFlash for to have the Overdrive.

I would do the same thing with my 7970M, i mean to have the Overdrive but RBE and Atiwinflash does not function properly with the 7970M.

So maybe i can put the Vbios:

"Dell 7970m - 015.022.000.001.000000.C42904A1.119 - OverdriveMod - UV 0975v"

or

"Dell 7970m - 015.022.000.001.000000.C42904A1.119 - Overdrive Mod_1050v forced"

but with these Vbios i lost my HDMI external, it isn't ? and i don't want.

So my probleme is: i want a Vbios for my 7970M with the Overdrive and my HDMI external connectique. Is-it possible ?

Hello,

I would like to tell you something strange

In normal, with the M17X-R2 is not possible to use Overdrive Ati CCC with the 7970m Dell and the Original Vbios 015.017 but with the Vbios 015.022 Overdrive, yes!

However,

i put the Vbios 015.22 Overdrive, i put the last driver Ati CCC 15.7.1 and it was good but after some minutes, at 76°C in the play "World of warplanes" in max resolution, some big artifact appeared in the screen so i come back at my original bios 015.017 modified at 0.975v by VbiosPacher. All now is ok! (no artifact)

I come back in Ati CCC (with my my original vbios modé) and i see the Overdrive and it was opérational so i put it, but after some minutes in play, i have some small artifact.

So i take my orginal Vbios (015.017.000.001) and i do an other Vbios by VbiosPatcher with 0.975v, 875 Mhz and 1250 Mhz (original is 800 Mhz and 1200Mhz) and when i play the max, i see in HWiNFO64 is 800 and 1200 and not 875 and 1250.

before with the 15.3 driver ATI i see what i put in the Vbios but know with the 15.7.1 driver ati ,no!

But if i synchronise my Vbios modified with the Ati CCC Overdrive like for exemple:

my Vbios: 0.975, 875 Mhz and 1250 Mhz and the overdrive at 875 Mhz and 1250Mhz, it's ok and i have not artifact.

So, in conclusion:

we can use Ati CCC Overdrive with all Svl7 Vbios, i mean "AMD 7970m (Dell) VBIOS package" if we put in first the Vbios "Dell7970m - 015.022.000.001.000000.C42904A1.119 - OverdriveMod - UV 0975v" and, install the last driver Ati ccc 15.7.1 and come back with one Svl7 Vbios.

and after for not artifact, synchronise (put the same frequence) in Ati CCC Overdrive with the frequence of the Vbios svl7.

And it's OK !

What do you think about this ?

My computer shudown at 87.5°C but in générale i have: in 2D, 31-34°C at 1675 rpm and in 3D it's between 76°C at 85°C at 4156 rpm.

Maybe i bought the thermic past Gelid GC-Extrem for remplaced Noctua NT-H1 but if it's just for to win 1 or 2 degrees , is not the best idea !

I have to find a very good tray with fan, Do you know sone one ?

(Sorry for my bad english!) :)

Hi guys,

so i do some Benchmark test and i have to much problem with the Ati CCC Overdrive (much test shutdown before the end), so i return at my initial Vbios or Svl7 bios and i uninstall and reinstall the last driver Ati for to remove the Overdrive acces on ATI CCC (15.7.1)

Now the benchmark test passed !

I changed my 1 mm thermic pad by 0.5 mm and i win 3 at 4 degrees ! Nice! Thank you Nospheratu for this Infos !

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

See here:

ADMIN EDIT: 3rd party link removed. Local link of the same file attached after verification. Original vbios pack developed by svl7 is now restored on the first post. If a file is missing, please report that post so an admin can take action in the future.

-Brian

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Guess it's time I add to the noob-list here :) 

Been looking into upgrading my M15x (a 2010 model) for a while, but just never got around to it. Finally decided to go for it and opted for the 

Intel Core i7-920XM / AMD 7970m (DELL) combination.

Intalling the CPU was a simple matter of plug and play. Haven't had any problems with that. As for the GPU, because I've never done anything in the lines of flashing vBIOS, under/over clocking/volting, I've been hesitating a lot with this last part.

Im using the original bios version from 2010 and installed the GPU and updated drivers. That went without a problem. The only issue i'm having now is the auto shutdown due to overheating. Pretty sure it's not a problem with the thermal paste/pads. After reading the different threads on the AMD 7970, and talking with some friends (that know a bit more about this stuff then I do), I'm at a bit of  a stand still. From what I can understand a stock clock and undervolt vbios should fix (or at least help) the problem. I've downloaded ATIFlash and HPUSBDisk in case i try to flash the vbios, but I'v also been told that some GPUs can be volt-tweeked without modding the vbios, but instead with software (NVidia something, MSI's Afterburner, and such). 

So i guess my question is: is it possible to use such software (lets say MSI's Afterburner) to avoid messing stuff up with the vbios, or is the vbios update the only way? 

A side note: Looks like @noooname asked a similar question about the using software over vbios 4 posts up, but I can't see any replies...

So I thought I would try out MSI's Afterburner while I waited for any responses. Unless I'm using it wrong, under/over volting the AMD 7970m with Afterburner is not supported... I was able to adjust the core clock and memory clock, but nothing else...

So I guess I'll most likely be attempting to flash a vbios... Never done this before so any tips if I've forgotten anything woud be nice. Following the guide for amd vibos flashing:

so to summarize:

1. have the vbios and ATIFlash downloaded and ready to add to flash drive

2. Use HPUSBDisk to create format and create bootable flash drive, adding the vbios and ATIFlash files in the process 

3. Reboot system

4. when prompted, boot from usb drive

5. this is where I get a bit confused.. 

5.1. display all adapters

should only be 1 adapter that shows up if I only have the one GPU?

5.2. save a copy [...]

self explanatory

5.3. verify integrity of the vbios to bo flashed

how can I check the correct checksum in advance?

5.4. flash vbios

self explanatory ( i hope)

6. when flashing done, restart system and remove flashdrive

Given everything went as it should, that's it?

I know i must sound like a massive noob, but rather that then sorry afterwards :)

Edited by MooresCode
published post before I done finished

• 2 months later...

just a little update on this. Been using my laptop with the upgrades for just over 2 months now. for the most part it runs good (for my standards at least :P ). Still have issues with the gpu temp hitting 80-82 degrees, but having GPU-Z running in the backgrounds helps so i can just alt+tab quickly to check. Most likely something to do with the thermal paste or the hammer-mod to get the heatsink to fit.

The other "problem" i am having now is a warning (that comes with a very loud double beep) every time i turn on my laptop saying the battery has experienced a permanent failure and needs to be replaced... resuming the startup everything works fine even just using the battery for power. Testing the battery (pushing the little button on the bottom that turns on some little tights) i'm being "informed" that the battery is fine. If i startup my laptop without the battery in I get no warning/beeping and startup work completely fine... so that's at least one "solution" :P

Anyone else experience anything like this? I've read somewhere that a updating the bios could fix the problem, but then I'm not sure what update I should use as i'm currently using the svl7's undervolting vbios "Dell7970m-uv-0975v.ROM to try and help with the gpu temps... Could it be worth trying his 0950v bios instead to see if that helps? 

Any tips/help is much appreciated.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...