O I see so we are pretty much testers for the card? Is it safe to do?

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry to ask all of the questions, but do I need to buy anything else besides that card? Like ac adapter for the power? And also for the thermal paste what brand is best/cheapest and how much do I need for installing the 7970m only?

I was the tester for mxm-upgrade :P And yes it works, I will post all the details when I got some more time. :) It works fine.

Your 150W PSU will do, a 240W will (from the M17x R2 for example) will work as well and give you some more headroom, but the standard one will do.

If you order from mxm-upgrade they include thermal paste. What you need is smaller screws that fit the backplate, the ones on the M15x heatsink won't work, the diameter is too big. You should easily be able to get some that fit in a store in your area.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi how do I private message you? Do you use msn messenger or anything? I am very noob with computers so I was wondering if i can private msg/msn you for more detailed instructions on how to install the 7970m to the m15x? I have not purchased the 7970m yet because I have a lot of questions. Btw I tried to friend you to see if I can then private msg you.

• Founder
Hi how do I private message you? Do you use msn messenger or anything? I am very noob with computers so I was wondering if i can private msg/msn you for more detailed instructions on how to install the 7970m to the m15x? I have not purchased the 7970m yet because I have a lot of questions. Btw I tried to friend you to see if I can then private msg you.

You need a minimum of 5 posts to be able to PM. Until then feel free to ask the questions right here in the thread so other users can benefit from svl7's answers as well.

Sent from my ParanoidAndroid powered GNote

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay I was looking at this:

AMD Radeon HD7970M (WimbledonXT) MXM 3.0b 2GB GDDR5 - Upgrade Kit for Alienware | eBay

from upgrademonkey on ebay. Is that the one I need? It says it comes with:

This is upgrade kit for Alienware M15x, M17x and M18x notebooks consisting of:

1/ HD7970M MXM 3.0b card with correct VBIOS for Alienware models.

2/ X-bracket (GPU Supporter) with set of matching screws.

3) Tube of Thermal Paste (Diamond 7).

4) Extra Thermal Pads for your existing VGA heasink.

*** there is no VGA Heatsink provided ***

CF cable is EXTRA

So that is all the hardware I need right? Is there a cheaper seller? Upgrademonkey had said something about disabling dynamic switch with flash VBios. What is that??? I have the Nvidia 460m installed right now with CPU I7 940xm. I previously had the Nvidia 240m and I5 540m. It seems to be that replacing the 460m with the 7970m is much harder than replacing the 240m with the 460m so yeah... All the other parts in my m15x except RAM, CPU, and GPU are original from Dell and have not been replaced. I got a whole lot more questions to ask but I'll ask a little at a time. Three more posts to go.

No, the screws are missing, you can't use the Clevo backplate with the Dell screws... if you decide to order from them, ask the for screws as well. Another place to get it would be mxm-upgrade, even though they haven't put it on their site so far... you can email them, they got the card in stock.

• Founder
Okay I was looking at this:

AMD Radeon HD7970M (WimbledonXT) MXM 3.0b 2GB GDDR5 - Upgrade Kit for Alienware | eBay

from upgrademonkey on ebay. Is that the one I need? It says it comes with:

This is upgrade kit for Alienware M15x, M17x and M18x notebooks consisting of:

1/ HD7970M MXM 3.0b card with correct VBIOS for Alienware models.

2/ X-bracket (GPU Supporter) with set of matching screws.

3) Tube of Thermal Paste (Diamond 7).

4) Extra Thermal Pads for your existing VGA heasink.

*** there is no VGA Heatsink provided ***

CF cable is EXTRA

So that is all the hardware I need right? Is there a cheaper seller? Upgrademonkey had said something about disabling dynamic switch with flash VBios. What is that??? I have the Nvidia 460m installed right now with CPU I7 940xm. I previously had the Nvidia 240m and I5 540m. It seems to be that replacing the 460m with the 7970m is much harder than replacing the 240m with the 460m so yeah... All the other parts in my m15x except RAM, CPU, and GPU are original from Dell and have not been replaced. I got a whole lot more questions to ask but I'll ask a little at a time. Three more posts to go.

That is the card you need + the kit. The benefit of buying from Eurcom (upgradeyourlaptop) is that they will warranty their cards and give you support. So you may end up paying more but IMO it's worth it. I purchased my 680M from them as wel.

That is the card you need + the kit. The benefit of buying from Eurcom (upgradeyourlaptop) is that they will warranty their cards and give you support. So you may end up paying more but IMO it's worth it. I purchased my 680M from them as wel.

Nope:

Our cards are tested before shipping to ensure they will not be DOA.

It is very important you do your research regarding compatibility and educate yourself with regards to proper installation techniques as we do not accept returns for VGA cards. VGA cards are sensitive pieces of equipment and should be handled with care.

MXM-upgrade usually gives 1 year warranty on their cards, at least that's what I got when I bought my 6970m from them.

• Founder
Nope:

MXM-upgrade usually gives 1 year warranty on their cards, at least that's what I got when I bought my 6970m from them.

Ah good point, guess their official policy is no returns but eBay buyer protection will force it regardless. If MXM-Upgrades gives 1 year warranty then go with them, Kris needs to get on the ball w/listing the inventory though.

Where is this mxm upgrade on ebay? I typed that in and got upgrademonkey for results mxm upgrade | eBay

are they the same??? What is CF cable?

And when svl7 said, "No, the screws are missing, you can't use the Clevo backplate with the Dell screws... if you decide to order from them, ask the for screws as well...." how does he know that their going to provide a Clevo backplate when they said 2/ X-bracket (GPU Supporter) with set of matching screws???????

Two more posts to go!

You can use a Dell backplate, but only if it's from the 6990m/6970m or 7970m, else it won't fit. And you'll need to slightly modify the Dell backplate in order to get enough pressure on the die, check the 6970m guide in the M15x forum, it's described there.

The Clevo backplate has smaller threads, so the screws of the Dell heatsink won't fit, thus why I said you'll need either Clevo screws and a Clevo backplate or a Dell backplate.

mxm-upgrade has their on website, (mxm-upgrade.com) but they didn't put the cards online so far, so you have to send them an email, address can be found on the homepage.

It seems that upgrademonkey has taken the link that I previously provided in my first post off. Anyways I have emailed mxm and given them your quotes. I am not sure what a back plate is along with a million other things but I will listen to all your instructions. I hope mxm accepts paypal cause I don't have a credit card. Slv7, are you okay with me emailing you/private msging you for further detailed explanations for this noob? I feel embarrassed having to post all my noob questions here.

ONE MORE POST TO GOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

The backplate ist the square thing on the back of the GPU which lets you mount the heatsink, check the 6970m thread for a pic. MXM-upgrade accepts PayPal.

And regarding the procedure, check the first post, a lot of details are there, I will update more when I get around to do so. The best way to get answers if you have questions is to post here. There are a lot of very experienced users here who can help, not only me. Besides, other users can profit from the posts as well.

I decided to look at this: AMD Radeon HD7970M (WimbledonXT) MXM 3.0b 2GB GDDR5 - Upgrade Kit for Alienware | eBay instead from upgradelaptop, msged him and he said:

"2/ we ship HD7970M card complete with proper X-bracket and matching screws, so you don't use Dell screws"

Am I asking the right questions? Can I have your email svl7 because I want to forward you something if thats okay. I see you online but I still can't message you so I gotta post here.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd say just get a card and a proper backplate... You can easily get screws in a hardware store. If you like the idea of this 'package' - sure, go for it. You will still have to modify the backplate (see 6970m thread).

Hey svl7, hows your temperature when gaming using 920xm + 7970m?

I have 940xm and I'm still deciding between getting the 7970m or waiting for the 7950m since I have heard a lot of people saying its a bad combo (940xm + 7970m)

Any news regarding when the 7950m is going to be out?

Thanks!

Hi the 7970m arrived a couple days ago and I will install it either tomorrow or Monday. I am wondering what is the best drive for the 7970m (that is compatible with the M15x) out there, official/unofficial? In the first post you listed one, is that the newest and best? Thanks.