Nope sorry, disassembled it to repair and test some GPUs, as soon as I have a GPU back in there I'll take a look and see whether I find a sign of a mobo revision string or similar.

• 2 weeks later...

I can use DP very well with Dell 7970m. Attached photos here.

post-6998-14494995182612_thumb.gif

maybe most people don't reply, because they don't have a clue.. like me.

i have a clevo card, DP doesn't work.. as soon windows loads, the second monitor turns black and shuts off.

i think @Genetics is one of the few users here having a DELL card and are able to use the DP.

unfortunaly he is having his wedding celebration.

about your clocks issue, have you tried svl7s underclock vbios? i got my card running with the 0.950v vbios, runs like a charm. no problems at all!

post-6998-14494995182177_thumb.jpg

post-6998-14494995182408_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi there !

Just a small question about the heatpipe. Do you have to flatten it to make the 7970m fit properly like it must be done with 6970M/6990M ? (Issue with coil standing out a bit too much).

Depends... I don't think it's necessary with all heatsinks, it's possible that some fit nicely as they are, the best would be to check before starting to mod.

i didn't have to flatten anything, went in perfectly here.

Hi there !

Just a small question about the heatpipe. Do you have to flatten it to make the 7970m fit properly like it must be done with 6970M/6990M ? (Issue with coil standing out a bit too much).

Had a quick look your system is using A09 BIOS, That is what svl9 is using, However I dunno if he is using a modified version of A09 BIOS for overclocking.

Hi Svl, sorry for my late replay but was away for some time, I am trying to find my system revision but no success so far, I make full report with HWinfo and will attache it, if you can find it. But so far no success having my DP work,,,,,,,,,,

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

First of all I want to say hi.

I registered a few minutes ago after reading a lot in this thread. I think I am going to get the hd7970m and upgrade my mx15. Are there any limitations according to CPU speed and core? I am in the office now so I don't have all the data now.

Thanks and greets Michael

that should work with no issues.

i have a i7 Q840 @ 1,86 Ghz here together with the 7970m.

RAM is no problem as well.

Hi Svl7,

thanks. I also found it at ebay.

Will my M15x with i7 Q740 @1.73Ghz fit?

16 gig Ram installed.

Then i will order one next month. But first I will read the forum how to flash vbios and so on.

Greets from Austria.

@svl7 Have you ever successfully underclocked the vram with these cards?

I'm planning to drop clocks on both the chip and vram once I receive my cards to the unreleased 7950M levels (700/1000) in order for them to play nice with my system but I've read that that the underclock on the memory doesn't register after using your bios mod tool to drop the memory clocks below 1200mhz.

edit: Thought I was posting this in the "AMD 7970m - modified VBIOS" thread :eek:... my bad.

@svl7 Have you ever successfully underclocked the vram with these cards?

I'm planning to drop clocks on both the chip and vram once I receive my cards to the unreleased 7950M levels (700/1000) in order for them to play nice with my system but I've read that that the underclock on the memory doesn't register after using your bios mod tool to drop the memory clocks below 1200mhz.

edit: Thought I was posting this in the "AMD 7970m - modified VBIOS" thread :eek:... my bad.

Why would you want to underclock the vram? I have my 7970m undervolted and overclocked on the memory side.

850 clock and 1350 memory @ 0.975v. It works extremely well and temperatures rarely go above 74-75 degrees.

Unless you're the one on NBR planning to run them in x-fire?

Hi,

Finally about to get my Dell 7970m (Alienware M18X M17X 2GB AMD 7970M Official Dell Part Number 747M2 | eBay), I currently have a GTX 260M.

As you can see it doesn't come with any backplate brackets, do I follow the instructions here : http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m15x/390-%5Bguide%5D-m15x-amd-6970m-6990m-everything-you-need-know.html

I understand that is for the 6970/6990m.

So do I need to

a ) File down the backplate ?

B) just insulate it from the components as shown.

c) Both ?

I want to use the backplate from my 260m.

Cheers

If you want to use the 260m backplate you will need to make it fit by as well as possible, it is too small and lies on some rather big caps. No need to grind down the posts, but you will need to file a bit in inner part of the square... you will see when you put the backplate on the card.

• 3 weeks later...