Clevo P370 battery dead?

COOL_HAND

Hi,

hopefully someone is able to help me with this.

Currently my P370 doesn´t start.

While connected to the power supply the Indicator LED´s at the front also don´t light up.

I´ve checked the power supply, it works.

I´ve lso measured if any voltage goes through to the battery poles in the case. Yes

What I´m now not sure about is the following.

If the battery is completely broken would this be the reaction from the P370?

Does this also show up if you simply remove the battery or should it also start up with battery removed?

I just want to make sure before getting a new battery pack.

Unfortunatly the customer support in Germany doesn´t give any informations or answers tech questions on phone.

They want you to send your laptop to them and then check it for money.

Even if they already told me that they won´t be able to fix it because they have no spare parts for this model anymore....

Thank you in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

I have worked on a few of the the P370xx models, and they should be able to turn on and boot just fine without the batterypack in them.  If the battery is out, and you plug it in, you should get a yellow light, indicating that there is power, that light should turn green when the system is powered on. If that light is not coming on, then you have an issue with the power getting into the laptop. I specify this, because it could be a problem with the power jack itself, inside the laptop, and this has been an issue with this line in the past. The connection inside the jack degrades and begins to generate heat, then melts the jack, fatigues the solder, and makes a bad connection. It is not a /hard/ thing to replace it /at my soldering skill level/, but most people are not able to do this.  There is also a possibility that the power adapter itself is not working correctly, and the laptops power management circuit is designed to not accept dirty or bad power.  You can try another power supply that outputs 19V, with the same type of connector, and see if that lights up the front LED, if it does, then the adapter is bad.

On 6/18/2020 at 5:36 PM, Blacktape said:

I have worked on a few of the the P370xx models, and they should be able to turn on and boot just fine without the batterypack in them.  If the battery is out, and you plug it in, you should get a yellow light, indicating that there is power, that light should turn green when the system is powered on. If that light is not coming on, then you have an issue with the power getting into the laptop. I specify this, because it could be a problem with the power jack itself, inside the laptop, and this has been an issue with this line in the past. The connection inside the jack degrades and begins to generate heat, then melts the jack, fatigues the solder, and makes a bad connection. It is not a /hard/ thing to replace it /at my soldering skill level/, but most people are not able to do this.  There is also a possibility that the power adapter itself is not working correctly, and the laptops power management circuit is designed to not accept dirty or bad power.  You can try another power supply that outputs 19V, with the same type of connector, and see if that lights up the front LED, if it does, then the adapter is bad.

Hi,

thanks for your answer.

I´ve also recognized since opening the Thread that this could be possible.

I already disasembled the machine and checked the power jack.

Unfortunately for me it´s working fine.

On both circuits the 19- 20V get´s through the power jack onto the mainboard. (measured on the back where the smolded contacts are)

I´m now 90% certain that something is wrong with the MB.

Now i can´t tell what else to do other than replacing the mainboard.

But since i either have to get an expensive new one or get a used one.

If i get a used one and the P370 is still not working i pretty much dumped money.

Is there a possible other faulty part that could cause this kind of error?

There are service manuals that you can find which have the schematics, voltages, component values and power-up sequence in them. If you feel capable of doing so, you can troubleshoot the circuitry at a component level, but that is over most peoples ability. The schematics are always a fun read though.  As far as sourcing parts.... I don't have any insight there to provide..  I was working with the supplier for repair and replacements when needed.

There are several components on the board (inductors, resistors, mosfets) that can go bad and mess with the primary power and charging functions, and you can find them on the schematics easily, but the replacement is a bit more tricky in sourcing the right parts. And after sourcing them, comes the removal and replacement of surfacemount chips, which can be a trick as well.

Edited by Blacktape