Getting back into it

Hey Guys, 

I apologize in advance if there is a thread similar to this, I searched and did not find anything, so I am creating a new topic.

I have an Alienware 15 R2, that I brought with the intention of gaming on, it has an 980m graphics card. At the time it seemed portable but now seems like a brick loll. I picked up an m11x r3 pretty cheap, and will use that to do my browsing and light work, and leave the 15 as a desktop replacement of sorts.

My question to you guys is, would a 980m graphics card be sufficient for these newer games? If not I was thinking of picking up an alienware graphics amplifier or razer core and use that, which leads me to my other question, would my machine support the razer core?

Any help in advance would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

The 980M is still a decent enough card for 1080p gaming. You may not be able to play the newest games on Ultra or even High but you'll still get good results on Medium. An AGA with an RTX card will help you get the Ultra settings running in games so it depends how far you want to go, and spend.