[LOG] M17x-R3 AMD 7970m mod

This thread will be updated with some infos in the coming weeks. I'm buying a 7970m and 60Hz display. My good friend GeoCake has already proved that it works. I'm just going to make an official thread. If you read this Geo, feel free to chip in :) I decided to go ahead and get the 7970m as according to the interwebz, the nvidia GTX 660 Ti won't be out for another few months which spells trouble for the GTX 680m which it should be based off. I'm just gonna have a play with this in the mean time. I've also ordered a 6990m backplate and heatsink from eBay as the from what I see in the pictures, the GTX 580m one will fit but the 6990m is less of a hassle. Plus it give me easy swap options. I literally have to take the whole GPu assembly out and swap to nvidia and the 120Hz screen when I to watch 3D movies. WIN :)

Some technical details of the card: 1280 SPUs, 28nm Wimbledon @850Mhz, 2GB memory Hynix (Dell version) @1200Mhz. The specs are similar to that of a desktop 7870. The new GPU uses MXM 3.1 which is the mobile equivalent of PCIe 3.0. In the M17x R3 it will only run @PCIe 2.0 x16 (same as PCIe 3.0 x8). In the R4, the Ivy Bridge CPU will support 3.0 x16 speeds (or x8 in the M18x when running dual cards).

I'm excited, GeoCake has already done some awesome benchmarks over at NBR and I hope to replicate them. This card is overclockable with MSI Afteburner and I hope to hit 1Ghz with it on air :eek: coupled with my 2920XM @4.5Ghz?

Please stay tuned I will add more as things move along.

[uPDATE] The 60Hz screen is installed and calibrated. The 7970m has also arrived. Was actually hand delivered by the seller 'cause he lives real close. Now it's just the heatsink and backplate. For people eager, track it with me here:

https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction_input?origTrackNum=EC740116213US

Edited by widezu69
  • Thumbs Up 10

Nice work widezu, can't wait to see your reults. :) From what I've heard so far, the 7970m packs much more punch than I was expecting. I'm keen as to get one for my R2 but it is a little expensive to get one sent out to Oz at the moment.

Sounds like it would be a whole lot easier if the 120Hz screen wasn't exclusive to the Nvidia cards though. :dispirited: