eGPU on Alienware m14x r2

Neophron

Good afternoon, I have in mind to add an external eGPU to my alienware m14xr2, but the problem is that I can't find any successful setup for this laptop.

From what I've read, I would buy a Mini Pci-E adapter (sacrificing the wifi adapter) along with a graphics card. Regarding the graphics card I was thinking of something mid-range like a GTX1660 Super although it might be too much for the experiment. With the GT650M integrated GPU the i73630QM CPU doesn't usually exceed 20-30% performance.

However, as I told you when I didn't find any successful setup I wanted to comment it in case someone could shed some light on it.

Thank you very much. 

Greetings.

• 5 months later...

Hi, I tried to connect an RX570 with the PCI-E V8.4D EXP GDC device.

After performing all the steps: disabling the integrated card at the root, safely removing all nvidia drivers via DDU and connecting the new card (from sleep mode), the laptop recognized it. The problem is that I could not finish installing the AMD drivers due to an error (207). After investigating this error a little, it could be due to windows updates so I did a clean OS installation but now I can't get it to detect the card from sleep mode, in fact, the card's fans don't start.

If I connect the card from the start simply appear some colorful lines on the screen (with or without external monitor) and if I connect the card with windows active the computer shuts down .

Some help on why this might be?

Can it make a difference if i try to connect an nvidia graphics card?

Thanks

Edited by Neophron

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.