M17x R4 560m to 1060

On 5/21/2020 at 12:03 AM, MattyB said:

Ok, that's interesting. Optimus (SG) will not work with the 120Hz display so it will be interesting to see what happens. 

So, I finally received my new 1070 which was completely compatible with my M17x R4. I installed the modded drivers, put the heatsink on with new 2mm thermal pads, and started the computer up flawlessly. I also today received my 330 Watt PSU. Only problem is that I'm getting temperatures of 85C under heavy prolonged loads. What is your cooling solution?

Awesome! The hardest part is getting it working. If you've used 2mm pads across the whole card then I think this could be your problem. From everything I have read before, you need 1mm pads in most areas and also a 3mm pad in a few spots. If the pads are too thick then the heatsink may not form a good connection with the GPU die, which is the most important thing to cool. I will see if I can find the pad placement guide for you. Also have a look at your GPU fan. There are a few different ones with varying CFM's. See if there is a Dell Part# or CFM rating on your fan.

I so, I have changed them to mostly 1mm thermal pads. 

But i see that most of the thermal pads I have changed (Vram especially) aren't  great contact with the heatsink.

For some reason I want to upload a picture of my thermal pad setup, but it won't pet me....

Edited by Crustieraxe

Did you find a thermal pad location guide? I was getting higher than optimal temps when I got my 1070 to work and then I found the placement guide over on NotebookReview and I dropped about 8-10 degrees once I got it right. I'm pretty sure it was a post from MrFox but I'll see if I can find it for you. 

9 minutes ago, MattyB said:

Did you find a thermal pad location guide? I was getting higher than optimal temps when I got my 1070 to work and then I found the placement guide over on NotebookReview and I dropped about 8-10 degrees once I got it right. I'm pretty sure it was a post from MrFox but I'll see if I can find it for you. 

Nope I never did