Alienware m17x R4 Upgraded to 980M Driver issues

kennymax89

I have tried following the instructions over at https://null-src.com/posts/nvidia-notebook-driver-inf-mod/post.php

I was able to get past the issue where it says not compatible but when installing it instantly fails the install.

I am running windows ver 1909 and have no video driver install, trying to install nvidia 441.87 DCH version

Hardware ID; PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1617&SUBSYS_05801028

These are what I added to the ini

%NVIDIA_DEV.1617.0580.1028% = Section001, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1617&SUBSYS_05801028

NVIDIA_DEV.1617.0580.1028="NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M"

Im new to this so Im sure im screwing something up

Capture.PNG

• Bios Modder
1 hour ago, kennymax89 said:

I have tried following the instructions over at https://null-src.com/posts/nvidia-notebook-driver-inf-mod/post.php

I was able to get past the issue where it says not compatible but when installing it instantly fails the install.

I am running windows ver 1909 and have no video driver install, trying to install nvidia 441.87 DCH version

Hardware ID; PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1617&SUBSYS_05801028

These are what I added to the ini

%NVIDIA_DEV.1617.0580.1028% = Section001, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1617&SUBSYS_05801028

NVIDIA_DEV.1617.0580.1028="NVIDIArce GTX 980M"

Im new to this so Im sure im screwing something up

Capture.PNG

Hi!

Just use instructions and already prepared .inf files for your laptop model, from this link:  https://premamod.wordpress.com/2017/08/15/j95-nvidia-inf/

Edited by Klem

I followed the link and downloaded 436.15-desktop-win10-64bit-DCH-whql-MOD, and nv_dispi.inf_v436.15_Win10_Standard_Optimus_MSHybrid_AW_ASUS_CLEVO_MSI

After extracting I put the Setup.cfg in the main folder and nv_dispi / nvdmi into the Display.Driver folder. Then I turned off Driver signature enforcement. After all that I ran the setup selected custom and clean install and this is the failure that I am getting this time. Could I be selecting the Wrong downloads for the M17X R4?

Capture.PNG

• 3 years later...

Hmmmn, did you get this fixed?

I foumd when doing what you are seeming to do, I would go to the installation directory, and when the installer failed, I would copy the installation folder and paste it to another folder and then when clicking accept on the failed installer would delete the installed files but leaving me the copied ones, to access, or use as a driver directory in device manger.

I am actually doing similar on repeat over the years. On laptops though using the internal display may not work after doing this as the integrated graphics and the gpu use the same or something. I am trying to work this out.