Have a case, want to build desktop out of it

So what components (mobo, processor, gfx cards, etc) would you recommend I get?

PS: I only really plan on getting 1 gfx card, maybe 2, but I want to be able to expand to 4... so a mobo with 4 x16 pci 3.0 slots would be nice... I don't mind paying a little bit more for a mobo and a psu that has a lot of expandability

Edited by raymosrunerx

Well for the best of the best you want the ASROCK X79 extreme11 mobo. Not out yet but we've seen some news and showcases of it. Originally it came with 16-phase VRM but the retail models look to have 24-phase. Great for overclocking. But the most important thing is that it supports up to 4 way multi GPU setups @PCIe 3.0 x16 on all cards simultaneously thanks to not one, but TWO PLX PEX 8747 bridges. That is multicard without bottleneck.

As for other components, the 3930k hits the spot for performance to price ratio and can be OC'd just as well as the 3960X at half the price. As for GPUs, for its price, the nvidia GTX 670s look awesome. And the reference PCB is tiny! Great for watercooling in the future. Price to performance is great too. The OC edition cards actually perform better than the reference GTX 680. As for RAM, I usually scale speed with latency so 1600-CL7, 1866-CL9, 2133-CL11 etc. Obviously channels have to be suited for the CPU.

PSU, of course the Corsair AX1200 is great, but for 4 cards, you may have to go with 1500+ or even 2x PSUs.

• Thumbs Up 1

I was looking at the intel page for the the 3930k and the 3770k, and I saw this for the 3770k

Expansion Options

PCI Express Revision 3.0

# of PCI Express Ports 1

and this for the 3930k

Expansion Options

PCI Express Revision 2.0

# of PCI Express Ports 10

What is the difference?

I was looking at the intel page for the the 3930k and the 3770k, and I saw this for the 3770k

Expansion Options

PCI Express Revision 3.0

# of PCI Express Ports 1

and this for the 3930k

Expansion Options

PCI Express Revision 2.0

# of PCI Express Ports 10

What is the difference?

Actually, the 3930k does have PCIe 3.0 capability. It has 40 lanes meaning it can be spread over five slots running @x8 each or 16/16/8 or 16/8/8/8 (whatever adds up to 40). Ivy Bridge has only 16 lanes meaning it is only capable of two slots @x8 or one @x16.

The Asrock I mentioned as two bridge chips on its X79 board which allow a total of 64 lanes meaning that it can run four GPUs @x16 speeds each. Some premium Z77 boards such as the Asrock Z77 extreme9 and EVGA Z77 FTW all have one PLX bridge and can offer 4 GPUs @8x each totaling 32 lanes, twice what the CPU is capable of.

Basically, for a vanilla setup, Ivy Bridge will allow one or two cards, with a better mobo, it will allow up to four. On X79, you have enough bandwidth for four to play with from the start without the need for a enthusiast mobo.

Just as a small bit of education in case you didn't quite understand what all this talk of PCIe is, it is bandwidth. PCIe 3.0 x16 is the fastest, x8 is the same as PCIe 2.0 @x16 and so on etc. There is hardly any performance difference really.

• Thumbs Up 1

With any luck, Ivy Bridge-E, which won't be out until next year may have 48 lanes which is 16x3 but no CPU has 64 lanes. If you have unlimited money, the Dual Xeon motherboards will support 80 lanes but there will not be any overclockability and is not worth it.

Honestly, if you really want 64 lanes, just wait for the Asrock X79 Extreme11. It is amazing. It even has on board Creative Sound Core3D.

• Thumbs Up 1

Could you help me make a list of parts to get?

i7-3930K Processor

(still havent found PSU with enough power)

Asrock X79 Extreme11 motherboard

(RAM? need some compatible with mobo)

CORSAIR H100 CPU cooler

Geforce GTX 680 graphics

EDIT: isn't the gtx 690 just two 680s slapped together? Does that mean its not possible to have a quad-sli build of 4 690s?

Edited by raymosrunerx

The 690's are two downclocked 680's. SLi and Crossfire only support 4 way (4x1) or quad (2x2). You can fold more than 4 GPUs but then the gaming benefits kind of go down the drain with the amount of money you are spending. Also the main thing with getting a 3930k is to get the C2 version which should be the only version in the shop nowadays anyways but if you are getting second hand or off ebay, make sure you ask :)

So list of components I recommend:

i7 3930k

Asrock X79 Extreme11

OCZ Vertex 4 with newest firmware :)

or Plextor M3 pro (M3P)

My only worry is that the H100 won't fit inside your case. Does it have a 2x120mm area for it? As for RAM, 4 dimms is a must to make use of the quad-channel that X79 allows. I would aim for anything that is 1866Mhz @CL9 for best price to performance.

As for PSU, I've got a treat for you :D Behold the Lepa G1600 80plus Gold 1600W power supply, the most powerful PSU in production that is available for the common man :) Here's a good review:

Lepa G1600-MA 1600W Review

• Thumbs Up 1

I'll get the H80 cpu cooler then, there is a 2x120 but its separated by a sheet of metal... Should be enough I think... Also, thanks for all the tips! I guess I will just have to wait and see when the mobo comes out for the specific parts

• 3 months later...