Have a case, want to build desktop out of it

Hello TI!

I recently won this case at Lanwar

Newegg.com - Fractal Design Define XL Black Pearl w/ USB 3.0 ATX Full Tower Silent PC Computer Case

Wanted to know how to build a computer, figured I should start eventually lol... I know almost nothing about it, so perhaps a list of things I would need to get would be greatly appreciated!

- CPU + heatsink + paste (depending where you buy it from you might get or don't get something)

- Motherboard

- RAM

- GPU (or two :D )

- Dedicated sound card if you want

- Power Supply

- Optical drive? (rofl...)

- HD, SSD

- Monitor

- Keyboard

- Mouse + Mousepad

- Speakers

- Headset?

Basically you get the CPU and RAM onto the mobo, then fixing a mobo and power supply into your case. Then you go with cards, GPU, etc. All of these items usually come with a manual (you only really need it for the mobo) that explains what cable does what and where does it go. They are built so you can only connect them where they belong (the shapes are different). :)

EDIT:

P.S. Grats. Dunno where are my manners. :P

Well I have 10 HD bays, but I can swivel 4 of them so that it has alot of space and you can put 4 graphics cards....

Do you know of a raid controller that can connect 3HDs for a cheap price?

Also, would it be possible to have two processors and run windows/game?.. Not that it matters too much, Valve is working on porting steam into Linux, but the games will still be primarily windows-based

EDIT: Maybe I should wait until the 3D processors come out (I read mw86's post)?

Edited by raymosrunerx

I suppose it is possible, but I don't see much benefit from multi CPU systems unless you're running some CPU intensive simulations or something similar and making a server computer. There would also probably have to be a specific application support for it (I think MATLAB supports it). For gaming it would be rather pointless as GPU is far more important.

So the main question is I guess what do you want to do with that computer? If you want to play games, even a single previous gen GPU can probably max out whatever you want at a standard resolution. At some point you get better benefit (in terms of how games look like) from buying a better monitor then a GPU.

No clue about raid controllers.

Whenever they can make games properly run on Linux, I am ditching the Windows. :P

raymosrunnerx maybe you dont want to wait... it just delays inevitable (new tech replace old (or rather just yesterdays tech)) so I say how bout this gem... she is a beast if you dont want an Unlocked cpu

Intel® Core

that should run any consumer type software or game for you :)

Well, my original plans were to make it a gaming computer AND a server, I was going to run both windows and linux (and maybe dabble into GPU computing)... Does anyone here have a dual-processor machine that runs windows?

EDIT: In what order do you suggest buying these parts? I was looking for a PSU because I figured that's like the first thing one would buy, and I realized I dont know how much power I need if I want two processors, etc

EDIT 2: The new 3D processors are here?

Amazon.com: Intel Core i7 3770K processor 3.5 4 LGA 1155 BX80637I73770K: Computers & Accessories

Edited by raymosrunerx

Well you can buy it all together at the same time but after you figure out what you want in it, and how much power these components will use. (CPU+GPU being I guess main power hogs.) So plan first, buy second. :)

I don't think those two things (gaming & server) are compatible. But you can build a gaming machine and use it as a server. :) It depends for what exactly it would be used.

For example, I have a small file server at home, but since its used only as my always-on machine for downloading stuff when I am away and for storing stuff, it is still my 4 year old desktop that uses a dual core AMD CPU 2 GHz. The only things I've purchased for that are its own PCI-E Gigabit LAN card (since it had 100mbit built in) and a good wireless router. I am also running an SSH file server on it and occasionally run some simulation that needs to be run overnight.

• Thumbs Up 1

I kinda want to use 4 GPUs and SLI, do you think if I used some really cheap ones, that it would stack up to high performance?

EDIT: I think I wills stick to the single 22nm processor... I read reviews online that some people have managed to OC it to 5GHz... And its a 350$ processor lol, its cheap

EDIT 2: Anyone wanna try and confirm the accuracy of this? eXtreme Power Supply Calculator v2.5

EDIT 3 (sorry hahaha): There was a review on amazon on the intel i7 3770k:

It overclocks nearly as high Sandy Bridge and heats up more with voltage. This means 4.4 to 4.7 GHz will be around the limit on air. Note that if you do not plan to overclock and/or intend to run virtual machines, the plain 3770 is the cheaper and better choice as it has Intel SIPP, vPro, VT-d and TXT enabled (the K has these disabled).

Does anyone know what SIPP, vPro, VT-d and TXT is used for? Is there a way I can re-enable it on the 3770k?

Edited by raymosrunerx

VT-d is (I think) a set of CPU instructions that can be enabled to speed up the work with Virtual Machines, that support them.

vPro is I believe a feature set that I have on my Thinkpad, that has to do with security like being able to connect to the computer if it gets stolen etc. (aimed at business users)

No clue about the rest. :)

Hmm. Well, I think I will go with that processor then, no need to worry about this huge thing getting stolen... Is there any suggestion on motherboards? I want something that will work easily with Intel's XTU so I can overclock the processor

EDIT: Anyone know where I can find REALLY BRIGHT CYAN led 120 and 140mm fans? I really like cyan... I use it on my alienware laptop... If you don't know what cyan is, it's an RGB of 0,255,255 or if you've seen the movie Tron, its like the light blue trim they have on everything (it was that color if you were the good guy and the reddish orange one if you were the bad guy :3)

Edited by raymosrunerx

A quick google tells me that there are no 120mm cyan fans easily available, you would have to mod them yourself.

Four low end GPUs won't work, only the top two/three of each generation are capable of more than dual SLI, also it tends to come with driver issues. What is your GPU budget? If you really want four cards in there working you will be looking at least 1.5k and that's buying second hand etc. It will also entail buying a socket X79 board, none of the sandy/ivy boards really supports that.

Forget XTU it's irrelevant on desktops, you will do your overclocking in the BIOS. Really anything $150+ will be fine but look out for Gigabyte, ASUS, ASrock, MSI, EVGA (No real order). More money gets you more features (generally). Make sure to get a Z68 or Z77 chipset (Z77 has a narrow edge). BUY THE K VERSION OF THE CPU IF YOU INTEND TO OVERCLOCK - the unlocked multi is a must have.

The power supply calculator is good, if you remember EVERYTHING. Don't pay for the advanced version. I can tell you for quad SLI you will be looking for 1200-1500w PSUs and even that may not be enough.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask anything else you think of (or if I missed something).

Good luck and gratz on the free case. :)

Edited by Jimbo
  • Thumbs Up 1

How would I go about modding these fans?

Also, I think I'll stick with the two graphics cards and SLI. Which card do you think I should I get two of, and is there any special cable?

Is there any good motherboards with good onboard RAID? I'd like suggestions haha

Sorry, I thought I had responded, but I guess it didn't go through..

My overall budget at this time is 1k, and thats just for a good PSU, good motherboard, good proccessor and a ok graphics card... I dont think there is anything else I would need at this time...

It doesn't really matter to me where I get these parts, just wherever is the cheapest

Looks like your building a nice system. I'd agree on the cpu... The 22nm unlocked multiplier cpu will be a good by... But they are from initial reports running equal or hotter than Sandy Bridge at similar frequencies and temps at 1.35+ get extremely high quick with just small additions of voltage. 1.35 or less volts at 4.7ghz might be a sweet spot. But I heard 4.4ghz is more down to earth and doesn't have excessive heat.

Sorry, got a new list of mobos with the z77 north bridge

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

This one has onboard OCing features, but I dont think it should be a determining factor, unless the rest of the mobos cant overclock

Newegg.com - ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Looks really nice, apparently can keep itself pretty clean. But does it deliver?

Newegg.com - ASRock Z77 Extreme6 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Can go quad SLI or quad CrossfireX. I have never heard of this company though

Edited by raymosrunerx
  • Thumbs Up 1

wow that PSU should be great! and I have heard of ASRock.. not sure of their rep but hey future quad sli or crossfire is a great benefit :)@Jimbo can probably better assist on mobo advice... haven't owned a modern tower been lappies for past 5-6 years for me. I'll be building a rig for my bro and one for my girlfriend a bit later.

So sorry mate, I completely forgot this thread. :(

The PSU - never heard of the brand but the reviews seem positive. Also check out Enermax/Corsair/Seasonic. You also don't need 1300w unless you are doing triple SLI/crossfire, a good 850w would run your proposed setup with a couple of GTX680/7970 no problems. ;)

H100 will take a 2600k well past 5ghz, can't swear to Ivy CPUs as they seem to produce more heat. Note however that it is only marginally more effective than a Noctua NH-D14, though it pulls away a little in higher ambient temps. Unless you are set on cooling GPUs also or totally obsessed with hitting maximum OC the H100 will do fine.

As for motherboards, the choice is pretty infinite! Of the ones you listed I would buy the ASrock (they were an ASUS subsidiary who went big time, now 3rd biggest DIY motherboard maker). Personally I'm not a big fan of the sabertooth, that "Thermal Armour" just seems like a way to trap heat and any stray bits of crap that fall into your case. Any of the three boards you listed will be capable of 5ghz+ overclocks.

If there's anything else I can help with just ask, if I don't respond in a day or two just tag me like @mw86 did (thanks mate).

yo Jimbo no prob thanks for assisting Raymos :) thought ASrock was a great one wasn't sure. Also when I build my rigs I'll probably go with that Corsair or noctua Cooler to thanks Jimbo thought they were nice easy to install kits. I like they are sealed and less hassle then making or designing your own pump system and tubes etc etc

Guys, I'm almost tempted to get this

Newegg.com - ASUS P8Z77 WS LGA 1155 Intel Z77 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Just because it has 4 3.0 x16 slots... If I wanted to do something like bitcoin mining when I am not using the computer

EDIT: Actually, I want this! :3

ASRock > Products > Z77 Extreme9

I just cant find it anywhere...

EDIT 2: I was just watching a video of a demonstration by a guy from ASRock, and he mentioned that you can do 2-way sli with x16/x16 or x8/x8/x8/x8... What do those numbers mean?

Edited by raymosrunerx

IMO planning for 4 x GPUs is silly, unless you're planning 3 x 30" with 7680x1600 or some other uber power hungry config.

Also, the lanes may be there but even a 3960X will bottleneck 4 GPUs, and the scaling drops off fairly dramatically after dual config (4xGPUs is nowhere near double 2xGPUs).

PCI-E lane speed is thus...

Each generation gets twice as fast... so X16 1.0 = X8 2.0 = X4 3.0

2.0 X16 is plenty of bandwidth for any modern GPU, therefore so is 3.0 X8.

To properly do a quad GPU setup you're looking at $5k minimum, IMO it's a total waste of money unless you NEED it. Far better to do a $2.5K build now, and another 2.5K build in ~ 2 years.

To summarise: Plan for a beastly dual GPU build, don't pay more than $250 for a board unless you have spare money and don't get hung up TOO much on lane bandwidth. That's basically the philosophy behind my build which pulls nearly 15k 3dm11P. If I was building it now that would be closer to 20K+, I think this is enough! ;)

Edited by Jimbo
  • Thumbs Up 1