New Alienware Video Cards ATI/Nvidia - Dell posts some 7970m specs

andyausz

So back on topic, at nbr one of the users managed to get his hands on a 7970m and got it to work after modding some drivers. Apparently it scored 6000+ in '11 and around 20k in Vantage all stock CPU included.

Oh I dunno, I can think of a few games that stress the GPU and need all the power they can get. Crysis 1 with several mods comes to mind. Crysis 3 is coming out soon. How about the Metro series? Medal of Honor Warfighter using Frostbite? Epic Games' new PC exclusive using the Unreal Engine 4 as seen in the Samaritan Demo. Heck I'll even thrown Battlefield 3 in there if it means I can play multiplayer @60fps.

I hope nvidia execution of the 680m is as good as this to offer decent competition.

Hence why I said "good games". :P

I can't remember that any of these games was gameplay-wise better than Doom2 (in fact Doom2 was much better at a time since it was a relatively original). Unreal Engine looks good. I repeat ENGINE looks good. Even Unreal 3 ENGINE looks GREAT in e.g. Tera. But the game itself is pretty boring, which is the same I found for any of these other action games (Crysis... *yawn*). I liked Battliefied BC2 multiplayer but never got to play it a lot due to numerous bugs -- I spent more time (re)installing Punkbuster than playing the damn game. Even now I wanted to test it when I had M11xR3 but no luck.... after god knows how long since it came out it still requires some pro hacking skills to actually get into the game and not getting kicked out. And there's also the fact that its made by "evil" EA.

Ah I didn't really register the word "good" hahaha. Honestly I thought all of the Crysis games were pretty meh and Crysis 2 wasn't even that pretty. Metro sucks ass in terms of gameplay. Maybe Epic's new Unreal 4 game will be good. Here's me hoping that it actually is Unreal Tournament 4.

Valve's new games may be fun but won't stress GPUs that much. What about The Witcher 2 with ubersampling? That brings all GPUs to their knees :)

Hehe yeah that's what I meant, a game with great graphics + great gameplay. Witcher two is pretty good, saw my friend play it briefly! I have it, just haven't haven't had time to dedicate to play it. Hopefully next month during my vacation.

Valve seems definitely like a great company, so even if they won't be GPU stressing games I think they'll be pretty good regardless.

I just don't feel like there are very many games with something original in it. I remember back in the days we had more genres, I loved space simulations (non existant today?0 Xwing vs tie fighter, Wing Commander, etc. there were so many good adventures (again nonexistant?), strategies (both RTS and turn based... today you have what... sc2?).

I might give Skyrim another shot, last time I played it a bit it seemed too much "consolish" and the combat system was so-so. But at least it seems like it has some depth.

• Thumbs Up 2

+1 unreal, I loved Xwing VS Tie Fighter! I am a pretty big Star Wars fan and that series were some of the first games I ever played. I remember playing the original Tie Fighter on floppy discs... :)

I also really enjoyed the Witcher 2. I found there was quite a bit of depth to it when you started experimenting with creating traps, bombs and potions.

• Thumbs Up 1

^^^

So.... much..... win.....

TIE fighter was the game that totally hooked me to PCs, I still mourn the loss of space combat sims. Why do all the Star Wars games now have to be FPS... :(

One of the games I truly enjoyed was Assassin's Creed 2. It took the great games mechanics of the first game and then actually put a decent story inside. The next two were a bit meh. I dunno what Asssassin's Creed 3 will bring with American Revolution and such.

so many great games discussed. MMMM 7970m seems so powerful for a single card... we really need to see what there is in line of competition... as is the 7970m is a last gen Desktop GPU destroyer :) joking on air of course

• 3 weeks later...