Where to find a 4910MQ for cheap?

Drozof

Got the Y510p and afaik the 4910mq is as high as I can upgrade to, but I can't find any for less than $150, why is it that expensive when its a 6yo part?

Already tried ebay and AE, any ideas?

BTW tried looking for a 4800mq, should I get that and OC'd it to 2.9ghz to match the 4910? can the stock heatsink handle it?  

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2019 at 11:48 PM, Drozof said:

why is it that expensive when its a 6yo part?

Because people are still looking for it. Just like you and me. =) And also new generations are soldered. If such laptop is broken (dead CPU) - it's garbage and too expensive to replace CPU. 3rd and 4th gens are still have nice socket. :)

i7-4910MQ and i7-4900MQ are rare. I saw few at lockal platforms similar to eBay. I checked again and there a lot of diffirent models... 4910, 4900, 4810, 4800, 4710, 4700. Even XM models. \Expensive\

i7-4800MQ have got 6 Mb cache.

P.S. Another option is find laptop with such CPU. Buy it, swap CPU and sell again.

Edited by rusTORK
  • Thumbs Up 1

New ones are soldered? that sucks, they really want to make laptops disposable, its insane.

I did look for used laptops but it would be at least twice the price of just the chip from a recycling company. Dunno if I can sell a laptop without CPU for the difference.

The 4700hq on my Y510p also has 6M of cache, dont really see the point, it scores about 718 more on pcmark but the 4910 is the real upgrade at 1,607 points more.