Overclocking/Overvolting question?

7r0jan

I'm just starting out with this..

I've applied a08 voltmod and I've wound the gpu up a little..

Why is that when I up the gpu settings for 3DM tests i get a lower score from the cpu?

i have added my results to the benchmark page..

cheers,

Pete.

I think you get less turbo boost from the CPU since your GPU runs hotter and it uses the same heatsink... so the CPU heats up as wel. If you slightly lift your system on the back to improve the airflow it may improve a bit. Repasting can make a difference as well, and if the temps are ok you can try to force the CPU for a bit more turbo boost by tweaking the TDP values in the BIOS.

Yeah I had an HP HDX18t and it had the Nvidia GT130M and Intel Core 2 Quad Q9000 @2.0ghz (2.2 with Dual-IDA) and anytime I tried overclocking all my efforts were quashed by the uni-cooler design... one fan, one long copper pipe and 1 gpu and cpu to cool :| Its all you can do for the most part in the thin chassis but HP had no excuse going that route... either way it limits overclocks a lot. Good thing a repaste as Svl7 said can often yield a bit more thermal headroom

Yeah I had an HP HDX18t and it had the Nvidia GT130M and Intel Core 2 Quad Q9000 @2.0ghz (2.2 with Dual-IDA) and anytime I tried overclocking all my efforts were quashed by the uni-cooler design... one fan, one long copper pipe and 1 gpu and cpu to cool :| Its all you can do for the most part in the thin chassis but HP had no excuse going that route... either way it limits overclocks a lot. Good thing a repaste as Svl7 said can often yield a bit more thermal headroom

Thanks ill have to repaste just to cure my curiosity. I'm also waitng to see if others with the the GF116 card have the same simlar results.

thanks,

Pete.

Thanks ill have to repaste just to cure my curiosity. I'm also waitng to see if others with the the GF116 card have the same simlar results.

thanks,

Pete.

i suggest you monitor cpu and gpu temps and if they get high enough during the 3dmark tests with the overclocked gpu then there is a reason cpu is running slower like in the above example. I hope the repaste helps.

Re-paste! That should help greatly! good luck and best wishes...

StevenX

Exactly... yeah didn't you repaste with ICD also and improve anywhere's from 5-10c atleast on gpu and cpu? Great stuff :)

i suggest you monitor cpu and gpu temps and if they get high enough during the 3dmark tests with the overclocked gpu then there is a reason cpu is running slower like in the above example. I hope the repaste helps.
Re-paste! That should help greatly! good luck and best wishes...

StevenX

Exactly... yeah didn't you repaste with ICD also and improve anywhere's from 5-10c atleast on gpu and cpu? Great stuff :)

A few months ago i had the 7 bleeps, at that point i had a motherboard swap that also died..

Swiftly followed by another swap. thus leaving me with the newer 124D (G116) card.

I watched the engineer do a repaste, so i was expecting it to be ok.

But ill get some and do it a again.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Pete.

if you watched your tech do it and seemed a good job... maybe you should check on stock clocks what temps you are reaching just to see whats running hot plus this gives you a reference point if you do repaste soon to tell if it improved; stayed same or got worse

if you watched your tech do it and seemed a good job... maybe you should check on stock clocks what temps you are reaching just to see whats running hot plus this gives you a reference point if you do repaste soon to tell if it improved; stayed same or got worse

To start with: A08 with volt mod.

cpu temp.

one round of bf3 with standard clocks and cpu turbo turned off: highest temp 78 c Ave temp:71 c

one round of bf3 with standard clocks and cpu turbo turned on: highest temp 98 c Ave temp:90.8 c

gpu temps.

one round of bf3 with standard clocks and cpu turbo turned off:highest temp 70 c Ave temp:64.9 c

one round of bf3 with standard clocks and cpu turbo turned on:highest temp 75 c Ave temp:66.4 c

overclock.

GPU Core 700, GPU Mem 900, GPU Shader 1400.

one round of bf3 with mild overclock and cpu turbo turned on:GPU highest temp 76 c Ave temp:69.4 c

GPU Core 800, GPU Mem 950, GPU Shader 1600.

one round of bf3 with standard clocks and cpu turbo turned on:GPU highest temp 77 c Ave temp:71.8 c

ill get some paste at the weekend..

post-3369-14494992980832_thumb.png

post-3369-1449499298062_thumb.png

Edited by 7r0jan
update
  • Thumbs Up 1

Very nice post you did awesome job checking your systems current condition. I personally think system twemps showed to be decent when cpu had turbo disabled. Additionally those gpu temps at the 800mhz core look as if you had played a bit longer that likely you may have reached 80c and that is starting to get hot for Nvidia mobile gpus. You probably know that and that's whole reason of the planned repaste. After repaste you'll know what kind of clocks you can run. You probably will want between 700-800 core based on preliminary temps. Also I was shocked how. Much heat turbo adds to your cpu and am shocked... I have XM and I have to use some decent clocks to get to 90c. Seems Dell cpu cooling for M14x could be a bit better... But it is a portable system with limited capacity for cooling. Perhaps upon repaste you can get turbo to be less overwhelming with the use of Throttle Stop. Let me know if you need help setting it up :)

• 3 weeks later...

Set the back of your m14x a little higher and repaste the cpu and gpu and you are good to go.... xD BF3 is an intense stress for both (CPU and GPU)... the highest i can go with this game is 805/linked shaders... other games run with 830/linked shaders...for example BFBC2...

For my 580m I cant even do 800 core for games stable... it requires more volts for me and then the temps are outrageous so 800core hasnt been feasible for me I know its not same gpu. On other sites I've seen stated they can but they don't use full graphics or other factors so they often think its stable... mod up SKyrim or even non modded just full HD packs etc and right away its going to give your gpu a work out with full graphics... BF3 is same in over time it will heat up fast with high graphics and this game uses a god 25-50% of your cpu which will warm that up plenty too so I agree completely with n3ort3x. 580m has more cores so more heat from start but in most case these gpus are lucky to touch 800 core stable in gaming environment not benchmarking.

Edited by mw86

I tested today whats my absolute maximum on BF3 with no external fan help:

==1.Method==

Intel Extrem Tuning Utility: Disable the Short PWR Limits ; Set the TDP of your CPU to 40

Bios: Set the CPU throttling to 90 Degrees (CPU´s cant take much more heat as I know from my LN2 sessions)

GPU: 810/1620 Core/Sharders ; 950 Mem Clock

Driver: NV 301.27 (modded inf, no tweaks just to install it on my system)

==2. Method==

Simply turn the Turbo Mode off (in Bios or in Tuning utility). This will "freeze" the CPU to 2 GHz (in my case). Temp problems are gone

and its absolutely ok for playing BF3.

Booth Methods gave me absolute smooth Graphics on 1600*900 resolution.

No lags, no artifacts, no crashes (Details on low or Details on medium, you can also try "automatic which will set the Textures to "ultra")

Main Problem of BF3 (its not a real problem) is that the m14x will get that hot, that CPU Throttling kicks in @ 85 Degrees. I watched the clocks in the Background

and it was no surprise:

Without no "Tweaks" in Bios and Tuning utility it will go like this:

Cpu Frequency jumps between 800 (!!) and 2400 MHz and that result in FPS drop downs. Everytime CPU gets too hot, Windows tells the CPU to "Step back" because

its too hot.Then the CPU will turn back to its 2400 Mhz. Then back to 800 MHz and back to 2400 Mhz.... and so on...

@ Methode 1: CPU will also jump, but not that often, so no FPS dorp downs.

@ Methode 2: CPU will not jump because Fan can handle the Temp. No FPS drop downs.

Cpu Frequency jumps between 800 (!!) and 2400 MHz and that result in FPS drop downs. Everytime CPU gets too hot, Windows tells the CPU to "Step back" because

its too hot.Then the CPU will turn back to its 2400 Mhz. Then back to 800 MHz and back to 2400 Mhz.... and so on...

@ Methode 1: CPU will also jump, but not that often, so no FPS dorp downs.

@ Methode 2: CPU will not jump because Fan can handle the Temp. No FPS drop downs.

I think you would benefit from this post http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m18x/1491-2920xm-overclocking-guide-detailed-results.html#post20109

you can use Throttle stop to have an alarm profile set... profile 1 full turbo full cpu etc... profile 2 use the multiplier arrow and drop the multiplier for profile 2 to 2-2.4ghz whichever keeps it from heating to 90+... now last step set alarm to on in Throttle Stop and set DTS for CPU which is set in degrees away from your shutdown temp. so lets say set 15DTS for the alarm so at 85C Throttle stop will tell the cpu to drop to what you set in profile 2 and keep the overheating from going on and never drop to 800mhz while keeping full turbo capabilities... Turbo will then only work when temps are able to sustain it... make sure the alarm is set to the profile with the lower clocks set. Also make sure since you enabled the alarm that where it says GPU... set that to 1DTS ie 1degree from your GPU shutdown temp... which shouldn't occur so the only drop is the one you programmed on the cpu. If you don't set the GPU Alarm DTS in Throttle Stop to a low value Throttle Stop will keep you in that second slower profile till corrected. Now just Turn on Throttle Stop and Check 100%Chip-mod and Cpu-mod. the link above i have picks and more description about this... just ignore the XM aspects.

Additionally you may find it useful to see the temps rising in realtime as you play and test and its easy to setup. See the following link on HWiNFO + MSI Afterburner w/Riva Tuner Statistic Server OSD HWiNFO + MSI Afterburner w/Riva Tuner Statistic Server OSD

Edited by mw86
  • Thumbs Up 1