Xbayo

Is it possible to mount a FHD panel in Alienware 14?

Hi all:

I can not find any post that makes reference to the subject exposed so I open this thread.

I recently purchased an Alienware 14 from the year 2013 (14 r3?) in the second-hand market that has the LCD broken. 
It is easy and inexpensive to find the original LCD replacement, an 1366x768 HD screen.

Does anyone know if it is possible to install a 1920x1080 FHD LCD on this computer?.I must to change the LCD and take advantage
of the one that gives me the maximum image quality.

Thank you all.

Greetings.

Spoiler

Hi, Xbayo.

What you can do within "stock parameters" concerning screen rez depends on what that model line came with. Is it a 15.6"? Likely 1366x768 is what you can replace with.

A direct replacement LCD isn't "too difficult," but you have to be gentle - especially when popping the old one out. Getting the frame apart without breaking clips/tabs is a real bear if you're not used to doing it. Have tools ready, be gentle, work SLOW. Don't booze, don't get angry. Take yo time, be gentle.

Replacement screen/LCD are usually reasonably cheap. Even having it done is usually "cheap." Compared to replacing a nice 2013 model.

Max image quality? Get it functional and add an external monitor of your liking. Also, relatively cheap. But, like all things, it's relative. I use a cheap 32" TV.

SP

14 hours ago, stretchyplastic said:
  Revelar contenidos ocultos

Hola, Xbayo.

Lo que puede hacer dentro de los "parámetros de stock" en relación con la rez de pantalla depende de la línea del modelo. ¿Es un 15.6 "? Probablemente, 1366x768 es con lo que puede reemplazar.

Un LCD de reemplazo directo no es "demasiado difícil", pero hay que ser amable, especialmente cuando se saca el viejo. Separar el marco sin romper los clips / pestañas es un verdadero oso si no estás acostumbrado a hacerlo. Tenga las herramientas listas, sea suave, trabaje LENTO. No bebas alcohol, no te enojes. Tómate tu tiempo, sé amable.

Pantalla de reemplazo / LCD suelen ser razonablemente baratos. Incluso tenerlo hecho suele ser "barato". Comparado con la sustitución de un bonito modelo 2013.

Máxima calidad de imagen? Ponlo en funcionamiento y agrega un monitor externo de tu agrado. Además, relativamente barato. Pero, como todas las cosas, es relativo. Yo uso un televisor barato de 32 ".

SP

Hello stretchyplastic:

Thanks for your tips.

Fortunately I can say that I know this range of Alienware laptop quite well, since I have an M18x R3 with which I'm fighting for a long time (8 beeps LCD) and I have disassembled and reassembled numerous times. The Alienware 14 of the same range follows the same construction pattern.

As you say, the original spare part is very cheap and can be found on Ebay for about 45-55 € but it would be too easy to replace, so I decided to make my life a little complicated and try to mount an FHD panel.:hyper:

The original panel is the model LP140WH2-TPT1, but I found this other model LP140WF1-SPB1 with FHD resolution that is the one that is equipped with DELL E7440 and E7470 models. Here you can see the comparison between both:

http://www.panelook.com/modelcompare.php?ids=20462,20494

Unfortunately I have no experience in what LCD is concerned and much to learn. The main features are the consumption parameter that for the FHD panel are 2.04W more and the signals pin configuration (EDP-30P1L-030G vs. EDP-30P2L-020H). It is obvious that without examining these parameters in depth the risk of damaging the motherboard of the laptop is evident.

I will continue investigating and if I am not sure, I will go to another one of a lower resolution, 1600x900, of which I have seen some post around here. thank you for your comments and interest.

Greetings.

Hola!

If your model came with 1600 or 1920, you can do that as long as you have skill to replace the panel. Again, it's not that difficult, you simply have to be careful.

Not native English?

I want to help. If you can put replacement, you can also put in upgraded screen. It's all the same. Screen replace is screen replace. If connects, it connects.

SP

Forgive me if I misunderstand. If it connects properly, golden.

SP

If there are extra things.... Ya gotta reconsider. Re-think.

SP

Sorry. I keep thinking about a thread about dude putting a 780m into laptop like mine. I suffer from hero complex.

Hey Xbayo, your post made me consider upgrading my own m14x's screen.  While I was looking around for possibilities I found this on Amazon.  According to the people who left reviews, it works great with the m14x.  If you've managed to find a cheaper alternative (or an OLED panel that would work) please let me know!

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/20/2019 at 4:32 AM, FlyingWaffle said:

Hey Xbayo, your post made me consider upgrading my own m14x's screen.  While I was looking around for possibilities I found this on Amazon.  According to the people who left reviews, it works great with the m14x.  If you've managed to find a cheaper alternative (or an OLED panel that would work) please let me know!

Hi FlyingWaffle:

Well, it seems I'm late to read your contribution.

Yesterday I bought a 1600x900 LCD since the FHD screen caused me doubts regarding connectivity and, as a result, correct operation. My knowledge and especially my time are limited, so I have decided to take the easiest and safest way (or so I think).

I have played a bit, but I based my choice on the comparison of the original panel that has my Alienware and another that I searched on the Panelook.com page that you can see here:

http://www.panelook.com/modelcompare.php?ids=20462,20460

My original LCD is the model LP140WH2-TPT1 and I will replace it with this other LP140WD2-TPB1 purchased at Ebay.es:

https://www.ebay.es/itm/LG-Philips-lp140wd2-tpb1-14-HD-PANTALLA-DE-PORT%C3%81TIL-30-PINES-1600-x-900/401550169137?ssPageName=STRK% 3 AMEBIDX% 3AIT &_trksid = p2057872.m2749.l2649

My idea was an LCD FHD, but I do not have time to risk since I need it to work and 1600x900 already improves what I had and it serves me equally, since they are only 14 inches.

The next work to do will be to replace the CPU with an i7 4930MX. I know that it´s possible, because I saw on this link:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/alienware-14-haswell-2013-mode-cpu-upgrade-options.747101/

I suppose that this will force me to modify the cooling system :rapture:... but this will be in another post.

Thanks for your contribution.

Edited by Xbayo
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for the response!

I did a little more digging, and it looks like OLED screens don't really exist in anything close to monitor sizes.  However, it looks like there are potentially some options to get an FHD screen with touch capability.  I have no idea whether that is truly possible though, both because of the 30 pin connector in the M14x, and the ~3mm gap between its actual screen and the 'screen protector'.

According to some other posts on this site upgrading the cooling system is possible, but finding a new fan that I can actually confirm will be an upgrade before purchase is a bit of an issue, as no seller I've found actually lists the performance specs.

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)

Well:

Finally, my LCD arrived yesterday . Today I´ve mounted it... and it works!!!.

The image it´s good for me, for my professional use I don´t need more. The difference between 1320x900  and 1600x900 is evident. I think so,  in a FHD panel the difference must be spectacular.

I let this images so you can see the results:

Broken LCD:  http://www.imagebam.com/image/a3cd581264857854

New LCD:  http://www.imagebam.com/image/74d7c91264858904

LCD Brand:  http://www.imagebam.com/image/5c5c951264859624

Edid New LCD:  http://www.imagebam.com/image/868b3e1264859634 . As you can see, the brand is not LG/Philips like seller says. It´s an  AUO LCD, model 303e.

Then.. upgrade complete. Now it´s time to upgrade CPU and Heatsink system. I´m start working on it and I can see improvements over the original heat sink. I´ll open another post to explain this.

Regards!!!.

Edited by Xbayo