Installing MSI GTX 1070 into P157SM

applepiefly

I have an MSI GTX 1070 card for my Clevo P157SM. BIOS is Prema 1.03.04 v2, BIOS setup says EC is version 1.03.01 (the Prema BIOS files seem to indicate it flashed an EC so this 1.03.01 may be from that folder), Standard 180W power brick. When I insert the new 1070 into my computer, the fans go on full blast and it starts loudly beeping repeatedly. I think this may potentially be resolved if I upgraded the EC.

This thread says to never install EC separately to BIOS, and the latest EC it has for P157SM is 1.03.01. Eurocom seems to have some EC files (separate to their BIOS files) for my laptop here: Eurocom Downloads. I wonder if I try to install P15xSM_EC04.zip from the Eurocom downloads whether anything bad will happen to my laptop or if it will fix the issue with the new GPU.

In this thread someone managed to install the same card into a similar model (P157SM-A). They say

Operating system is Windows 10 64bit with UEFI enabled, bios is Prema Bios 1.03.11PM v2. Also tested with Bios/EC 1.03.03, Bios 1.03.05, EC 1.03.06, Bios 1.03.08, EC 1.03.07, Bios 1.03.09, Bios 1.03.11, EC 1.03.08 and Eurocom Bios/EC 1.05.01. BIOS/EC 1.03.03 gave me the best GPU performance while Prema Bios 1.03.11PM v2 has better CPU performance but is power draw capped at 216W (188W with 87% efficient AC adapter).

So they apparently never tried it with EC 1.03.01.

Does anyone have any tips? Thanks!