Alienware M18XR2 & 980m

Shark70

You will need the A11 unlocked Bios by Swick found on this website. 

If you are running a single 980 an upgraded vBios is in my mind not necessary. If you have dual 980's its another story.

You can (and should) download from this site once you have met the minimum qualifications for membership (i.e. posts) or you have purchased the Elite Membership. I did both and I am glad I did. If you are new to the M18x R2 you can learn all about it on this website. Enjoy!

P.S. -You might be able to search and find an unlocked Bios download on other sites but there is no telling what your outcome will be. Always backup and know how to restore your Bios from a backup before you proceed.

Hope that helps. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey G.R.A.M.P.S, probably a silly question but does the original SLI cable fit fine with the 980M's? I'm assuming the sockets are in the same place on the cards. Thinking of upgrading my 780M's to 980M's. Also, how easy (or hard) was it to get the 2133mhz memory to run properly? I was under the impression that 1866 was the most they could squeeze out. 

Cheers. 

On 4/29/2019 at 3:36 AM, MattyB said:

Hey G.R.A.M.P.S, probably a silly question but does the original SLI cable fit fine with the 980M's? I'm assuming the sockets are in the same place on the cards. Thinking of upgrading my 780M's to 980M's. Also, how easy (or hard) was it to get the 2133mhz memory to run properly? I was under the impression that 1866 was the most they could squeeze out. 

Cheers. 

Yes the cable will be fine, also your heatsinks will fit too.

Also if you need help with bios, and vbios you can always ask. I have upgraded multiple Alienwares.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/3/2019 at 12:13 PM, Henrik9979 said:

Yes the cable will be fine, also your heatsinks will fit too.

Also if you need help with bios, and vbios you can always ask. I have upgraded multiple Alienwares.

Thanks for that. Once I pull the trigger I will definitely be looking for some help. I have upgraded a few machines but this one looks to be the most complicated and I have never done a vBios before and I hear it needs to be done with the SLI 980M's. 

1 hour ago, MattyB said:

Thanks for that. Once I pull the trigger I will definitely be looking for some help. I have upgraded a few machines but this one looks to be the most complicated and I have never done a vBios before and I hear it needs to be done with the SLI 980M's. 

Yes it does to work properly. It will work without the vbios but the performance will be better with the correct one.

• Thumbs Up 1