Requesting help to upgrade memory

wbabt007

Hi guys I back again(sorry you haven't seen me but between college, New Wheels and battlefield 3 is hard to find time noways).

I would ask for some help getting my Ram upgraded in my M18x, as some of you recall I got mine with 6 gigs and i have 2 slots free(the ones under the keyboard). Honestly I dont feel like paying $400 Us for the 8 gigs of ram from the dell website. My target is to get at least 2 4 gig SOdimms in the secondary memory bay to bring total memory to 14 gigs. This would allow me to play battlefield 3 without the long map time loads that I am experiencing. Can anyone recommend an online place to buy form? Also I believe that i have the DDR3 pc-10600(667Mhz) (as per HWinfo 64).

Thanks for all the help!!

• Founder

Just grab any generic pair of notebook sodimms with those specs. You don't need hyperx or anything else like that since it makes zero difference for gaming and daily use. Only benchmarkers care about the expensive ram. Now opening the M18x and getting underneath the keyboard is a bit tricky if you've never done it before since the plastic cover is really flimsy.

hi Brian great to see you, Yes I seen the photo thread about opening the m18x and I know is a little tricky, I think you mention that last year when you upgraded your M18x. Do you know of a good place online where to buy the ram?

newegg is a good place to start comparing prices like you said Unreal. Yeah buying a ram upgrade 3rd party doesn't warrant buying fancy ram. Dells ram is too expensive as you said. I ended up buying from Amazon but Newegg will get you a great market price. You might be able to find the samsung modules dell uses cheap there too. They are great performing too and the default latency is usually pretty optimal and low voltage :)

You might be able to find the samsung modules dell uses cheap there too. They are great performing too and the default latency is usually pretty optimal and low voltage :)

Just thought I'd mention they don't all have Samsung RAM as default, mine came with Hynix branded sticks. Never had a problem with them, and they're back in at the moment as the 8gb 1866mhz HyperX kit is in my X220 where it REALLY makes a difference (SC2 at high settings on integrated graphics!).

• Thumbs Up 1