Jump to content
EwinRacing Flash Series Gaming Chairs
picardilly

Clevo P751ZM BIOS update or mod for NVMe M.2

Recommended Posts

Hey guys, I am Grga and i am new here. I rarely use forums but i am desperate in this case.

So, as i have seen many of you have had the issue with obsolete BIOS versions for clevo P7xxZM machines,

So i would like to hear your experiences and how you went about it. 

I have recently bought an ssd Samsung 970 PRO NVMe M.2. From which i would like to boot the windows10.

Little did i know that there was no support for that kind of protocol in the BIOS or that there is such thing as UEFI (for which i am still not sure what that is exactly, except some kind of successor of BIOS).

So i did a bit of research and updated my Bios and ec to 1.03.15 and 1.03.09 respectively for which i understand is the last available official release. I changed to uefi mode with secure boot disabled etc... in short i did everything that my (limited) knowledge about these things allowed me to do (and the sweat of excitement and fear when i was flashing the bios for the first time in my life). But, alas, it all yielded no success,  and now i am lost. I have really no idea what to do, and whom to ask for help except for you guys here. The only thing that i understand worked for some of you is when you mentioned a wizard named @Prema so therefore i will try to do the same....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, picardilly said:

Hey guys, I am Grga and i am new here. I rarely use forums but i am desperate in this case.

So, as i have seen many of you have had the issue with obsolete BIOS versions for clevo P7xxZM machines,

So i would like to hear your experiences and how you went about it. 

I have recently bought an ssd Samsung 970 PRO NVMe M.2. From which i would like to boot the windows10.

Little did i know that there was no support for that kind of protocol in the BIOS or that there is such thing as UEFI (for which i am still not sure what that is exactly, except some kind of successor of BIOS).

So i did a bit of research and updated my Bios and ec to 1.03.15 and 1.03.09 respectively for which i understand is the last available official release. I changed to uefi mode with secure boot disabled etc... in short i did everything that my (limited) knowledge about these things allowed me to do (and the sweat of excitement and fear when i was flashing the bios for the first time in my life). But, alas, it all yielded no success,  and now i am lost. I have really no idea what to do, and whom to ask for help except for you guys here. The only thing that i understand worked for some of you is when you mentioned a wizard named @Prema so therefore i will try to do the same....

Hi!

You can post here your bios dump from your laptop.

For creating backup of bios use attached program.  Extract attached archive directly on the Desktop and run the program as Administrator (right click mouse). Program will create archive "results" directly on the Desktop. You can upload it to any fileserver and post the link.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/mxoavw

or

http://www120.zippyshare.com/v/NC9WuxRI/file.html

  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Klem said:

Hi!

You can post here your bios dump from your laptop.

For creating backup of bios use attached program.  Extract attached archive directly on the Desktop and run the program as Administrator (right click mouse). Program will create archive "results" directly on the Desktop. You can upload it to any fileserver and post the link.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/mxoavw

or

http://www120.zippyshare.com/v/NC9WuxRI/file.html

Wow, thanks man! I'll do it asap and be right back

18 minutes ago, Klem said:

Hi!

You can post here your bios dump from your laptop.

For creating backup of bios use attached program.  Extract attached archive directly on the Desktop and run the program as Administrator (right click mouse). Program will create archive "results" directly on the Desktop. You can upload it to any fileserver and post the link.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/mxoavw

or

http://www120.zippyshare.com/v/NC9WuxRI/file.html

hi klem,heres the link

 

https://mega.nz/#!hFwiQQxD!m-Q2VAAHTFODtAH5SObLz8bnmDhr_3ny41PYBywGUDs

 

tnx

Edited by picardilly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, picardilly said:

Wow, thanks man! I'll do it asap and be right back

hi klem,heres the link

 

https://mega.nz/#!hFwiQQxD!m-Q2VAAHTFODtAH5SObLz8bnmDhr_3ny41PYBywGUDs

 

tnx

Ok. Your bios mod with NVME support done. I sent it to you via PM.

After you successfully install the BIOS mod, then you can install Windows 10 on your NVMe disk.

  • Important:
    • The "BOOT" section of the UEFI BIOS and the shortcut to the "Bootable Devices" will not show the NVMe SSD, although it may be bootable!
    • After having installed the NVMe supporting OS in UEFI mode onto the PCIe/M.2 connected SSD, you will see the new bootable system drive listed as "Windows Boot Manager".
  • Here are some advices about how to get Win10 properly installed onto an M.2 or PCIe connected NVMe SSD:
    • Save the important data, which are currently on the NVMe SSD.
    • Create a bootable, FAT32 formatted USB Flash drive containing the desired Win10 image by using the tool Rufus (important: choose the UEFI mode partition table = GPT).
      Here is a picture, which shows the most important Rufus settings:
      f50t871p14810n38_OuVTrMzF-thumb.png
    • Enter the BIOS and navigate to the "BOOT" section and - if applicable - the "SECURITY" or "Keys" section. 
      Make sure, that the "Secure Boot" and "Fast Boot" options are disabled. The "Compatibility Support Module" (CSM) can either be set to "Disabled" as well (better option, but requires full UEFI compatibility of the graphics adapter) or to "Enabled" with the ability/preference to load EFI BIOS modules for the Storage Disk Drives. If you see BIOS options for the "OS type", choose "other OS". This will disable the Secure Boot setting.
      Side note: Some users reported, they they had to disable the ASMedia SATA Controller within the "Storage Configuration" section to be able to boot off the NVMe SSD.
    • Most important: Unplug all storage disk drives except the NVMe supporting SSD.
    • Insert the prepared USB Flash drive and boot off it in UEFI mode (the related bootable USB drive should be shown by the Boot Manager with the prefix "[UEFI]").
    • When you come to the point, where you have to decide onto which Drive and which partition the OS shall be installed, delete all existing partitions from your NVME supporting SSD. After having done that, let the Win10 Setup create a new partition for your future drive C: on the related SSD. Then point to this just created partition as the desired future OS location.
    • The rest should be done by the Setup automaticly. You will get a message, that some additional partitions have to be created. Accept that and follow the advice of the Setup where to install the OS.
    • Once the OS is up and running, shut down the computer, remove the bootable USB Flash driver and reconnect all your previously used storage drives.
    • Before you restart cour computer, make sure, that the NVMe SSD resp. its listed "Windows Boot Manager" is on top of the bootable storage drives.
  • Thumbs Up 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Klem said:

Ok. Your bios mod with NVME support done. I sent it to you via PM.

After you successfully install the BIOS mod, then you can install Windows 10 on your NVMe disk.

  • Important:
    • The "BOOT" section of the UEFI BIOS and the shortcut to the "Bootable Devices" will not show the NVMe SSD, although it may be bootable!
    • After having installed the NVMe supporting OS in UEFI mode onto the PCIe/M.2 connected SSD, you will see the new bootable system drive listed as "Windows Boot Manager".
  • Here are some advices about how to get Win10 properly installed onto an M.2 or PCIe connected NVMe SSD:
    • Save the important data, which are currently on the NVMe SSD.
    • Create a bootable, FAT32 formatted USB Flash drive containing the desired Win10 image by using the tool Rufus (important: choose the UEFI mode partition table = GPT).
      Here is a picture, which shows the most important Rufus settings:
      f50t871p14810n38_OuVTrMzF-thumb.png
    • Enter the BIOS and navigate to the "BOOT" section and - if applicable - the "SECURITY" or "Keys" section. 
      Make sure, that the "Secure Boot" and "Fast Boot" options are disabled. The "Compatibility Support Module" (CSM) can either be set to "Disabled" as well (better option, but requires full UEFI compatibility of the graphics adapter) or to "Enabled" with the ability/preference to load EFI BIOS modules for the Storage Disk Drives. If you see BIOS options for the "OS type", choose "other OS". This will disable the Secure Boot setting.
      Side note: Some users reported, they they had to disable the ASMedia SATA Controller within the "Storage Configuration" section to be able to boot off the NVMe SSD.
    • Most important: Unplug all storage disk drives except the NVMe supporting SSD.
    • Insert the prepared USB Flash drive and boot off it in UEFI mode (the related bootable USB drive should be shown by the Boot Manager with the prefix "[UEFI]").
    • When you come to the point, where you have to decide onto which Drive and which partition the OS shall be installed, delete all existing partitions from your NVME supporting SSD. After having done that, let the Win10 Setup create a new partition for your future drive C: on the related SSD. Then point to this just created partition as the desired future OS location.
    • The rest should be done by the Setup automaticly. You will get a message, that some additional partitions have to be created. Accept that and follow the advice of the Setup where to install the OS.
    • Once the OS is up and running, shut down the computer, remove the bootable USB Flash driver and reconnect all your previously used storage drives.
    • Before you restart cour computer, make sure, that the NVMe SSD resp. its listed "Windows Boot Manager" is on top of the bootable storage drives.

OMG! It's  working like a charm! Man, you are genius!! One thing though. Now that it is all set up, i can not seem to boot the system from my old sata ssd any more. I just get a black screen and a white line blinking, like in dos. What to do? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, picardilly said:

OMG! It's  working like a charm! Man, you are genius!! One thing though. Now that it is all set up, i can not seem to boot the system from my old sata ssd any more. I just get a black screen and a white line blinking, like in dos. What to do? 

Just install new Windows on the new NVMe disk.

Another option is to do a clean OS installation in UEFI mode onto any SATA connected SSD (a suitable NVMe driver should be available for the OS!) and to clone the complete disk drive content onto the NVMe SSD. After having inserted the NVMe EFI module into the BIOS, the formerly used SSD should be removed and the NVMe SSD inserted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Klem said:

Just install new Windows on the new NVMe disk.

Another option is to do a clean OS installation in UEFI mode onto any SATA connected SSD (a suitable NVMe driver should be available for the OS!) and to clone the complete disk drive content onto the NVMe SSD. After having inserted the NVMe EFI module into the BIOS, the formerly used SSD should be removed and the NVMe SSD inserted.

on NVMe i installed and successfully ran fresh windows10, but then realized that i don't want to go through all the tedious intallations and settings tweaking... so i decided to rather clone the old sata ssd (in perfect state) to the new NVMe.

now, my old ssd was MBR so i can't use it with UEFI.

So what i did is, i disabled the uefi through the advanced startup option because i couldn't reach the BIOS at the boot-up with F2 key for some reason being totally ignored, then i removed the NVMe and the old sata ssd booted normally. Then i ran C:\>mbr2gpt /convert /disk:0 /allowfullos to convert my old sata ssd from MBR to GPT, with success.

 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/mbr-to-gpt

 

now i am planing to change back to UEFI and boot-up the new GPT ssd and clone it to the NVMe. Is there any good cloning software that you could suggest? there is the samsung data migration, but i don't know if it is any good..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Klem said:

I think that Samsung Data Migration software it's a good choice.

https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools/

yes, i used it,and it worked perfectly. i am now writing this from the cloned system on my new NVMe! it's smooth it is very good! the only thing is that the speed is not as expected, but that is probably due to the machine which is old... or? do you think something could be done about the speed? i already installed the newest Samsung NVMe Driver 3.1.

And i also ordered a heatsink from AliExpress because i don't think any other would fit and it's copper so that's good.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Copper-Heatsink-Cooler-Heat-sink-Thermal-Conductive-Adhesive-For-M-2-NGFF-2280-PCI-E-NVME/32945025573.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.3da24c4d8LsXN4

The only thing is that i don't know if i should use it with the provided thermal conductive adhesive, or with a paste... i think maybe the paste is better.

The NVMe is getting far too hot unfortunately (during the test up to 78°C)

Screenshot (13).png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ran the driver booster to try to speed up the system and got this, i can't do anything about it. What should i do?

Nothing is working...

Screenshot_20190209-093205_Gallery.jpg

20190209_093050.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

 

i´ve got the same problem, i would like to get my P751ZM work with NVMe.

Would need the BIOS mod, can anyone help me with this?

Thank you very much.

Best Regards,

-Tony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, juvat22 said:

Hi,

 

i´ve got the same problem, i would like to get my P751ZM work with NVMe.

Would need the BIOS mod, can anyone help me with this?

Thank you very much.

Best Regards,

-Tony

Hi!

You can post here your bios dump from your laptop.

For creating backup of bios use attached program.  Extract attached archive directly on the Desktop and run the program as Administrator (right click mouse). Program will create archive "results" directly on the Desktop. You can upload it to any fileserver and post the link.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/mxoavw

or

http://www120.zippyshare.com/v/NC9WuxRI/file.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all,

 

I have a very similar problem with my P751ZM. I am trying to upgrade my SM951 256GB to a PM951 512GB I got from an AlienWare, but nothing seems to work.

The SM951 is visible in the BIOS, Windows runs with no problem etc. The PM951 is visible from the Windows 10 installer, but not from the BIOS. I could install Windows on it, but it's still not visible in the BIOS, no matter how I configure it (UEFI or not, Secure Boot or not, CSM or not etc.).

 

I just updated the BIOS from the manufacturer website XMG.GG (my laptop is a XMG U505), just to say that updating the BIOS isn't a solution either. 

 

Here's a dump of the current BIOS, I would really appreciate if someone could help... 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wngqknch1vm846s/results.rar?dl=0

 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Covfefe said:

Hi all,

 

I have a very similar problem with my P751ZM. I am trying to upgrade my SM951 256GB to a PM951 512GB I got from an AlienWare, but nothing seems to work.

The SM951 is visible in the BIOS, Windows runs with no problem etc. The PM951 is visible from the Windows 10 installer, but not from the BIOS. I could install Windows on it, but it's still not visible in the BIOS, no matter how I configure it (UEFI or not, Secure Boot or not, CSM or not etc.).

 

I just updated the BIOS from the manufacturer website XMG.GG (my laptop is a XMG U505), just to say that updating the BIOS isn't a solution either. 

 

Here's a dump of the current BIOS, I would really appreciate if someone could help... 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wngqknch1vm846s/results.rar?dl=0

 

Thanks!

Hi!

As I already wrote before:

Important:

  • The "BOOT" section of the UEFI BIOS and the shortcut to the "Bootable Devices" will not show the NVMe SSD, although it may be bootable!
  • After having installed the NVMe supporting OS in UEFI mode onto the PCIe/M.2 connected SSD, you will see the new bootable system drive listed as "Windows Boot Manager".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Klem said:

Hi!

As I already wrote before:

Important:

  • The "BOOT" section of the UEFI BIOS and the shortcut to the "Bootable Devices" will not show the NVMe SSD, although it may be bootable!
  • After having installed the NVMe supporting OS in UEFI mode onto the PCIe/M.2 connected SSD, you will see the new bootable system drive listed as "Windows Boot Manager".

 

Yes thanks I read that, but even after installing Windows I don't see any bootable system. If I let the system start up it shows that usual message "insert a bootable device etc...", no way to boot it. I'm lost...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Covfefe said:

 

Yes thanks I read that, but even after installing Windows I don't see any bootable system. If I let the system start up it shows that usual message "insert a bootable device etc...", no way to boot it. I'm lost...

Ok. I already replied you in PM.

  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Similar Content

    • By Klem
      In this thread you can post your requests for Lenovo ThinkPad T440p / T440s / T540p.
      If someone wants upgrade Wi-Fi card and remove whitelist, or unlock hidden additional menus and settings in bios setup menu, then you can post your request in this thread.
      Important!
      For creating bios backup and to flash bios mod, you must use any SPI programmer  (like CH341A programmer) and a SOIC8/SOP8 test clip!
       
      Just dump your Bios using any SPI programmer  (like CH341A programmer) and a SOIC8/SOP8 test clip, then post it in this thread or upload it to any fileserver and send me the link.
       
       


       
       
    • By Cubitci
      To install the unlocked bios, I prepared and booted a freedos usb. I start the installation by typing flash.bat but every time I get the following error: Error 28: Protected Range Registers are currently set by BIOS, preventing flash Access. Please contact the target System BIOS vendor for an option to disable Protected Range Registers.
      How can i solve this problem ?
    • By Cubitci
      İ'm trying to backup my bios but program shows this error: Error 201: [FPTw.exe] cannot be run on the current platform. Please contact your vendor. And my system is x64 but programs shows System = x32 . How can i solve this error ?
       
      EDİT: Now shows "Error 285: Fail to load driver (PCİ access for Windows). Tool needs to run with an administrator priviledge account." And at the end the system says it cannot find the specified location, and therefore no results. 
       
      EDİT 2: Now shows Error 284 but i cant see text.
       
      ------------------------
      Intel's FPT v.1.0.4.1089
      ------------------------
      System = x32
      Desktop path = C:\Users\Remzi Ince\Desktop
       
      program shows its my desktop path but its not my desktop path. My laptop language is turkish and my desktop path is C:\Kullanıcılar\Remzi Ince\Masaüstü
       
    • By Hyuk Yun
      I need help to unlock my BIOS can somebody teach or help me??
       
      I want to unlock the hidden advanced and chipset tab plz help me.....
       
      https://drive.google.com/open?id=172WwwQC-IGfGeFA55lr2a5ahe7rIS0Sf
       
       
    • By Luisrr2029
      Hello can anyone suggest a mod for bios or alternative bios for Msi GE72 2qc apache gaming laptop to overclock 
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.