MSI GT780DXR - Fried GPU Card MS-1W051 v1.0 - How to replace?

cmariotti

I need a replacement or alternate to the MS-1W051 Ver 1.0 that just fried. 

A friend of mine gave me this laptop that was very unstable with video glitching... he had assumed it was a GPU problem and ordered what he thought was a replacement model MS-1W051 Ver 1.1... he said he thought it was from a Dell. It didn't work when plugged in... He tried to replace the BIOS in an attempt to get it to work (no fan on GPU, so it locked up and bricked it)... and he gave up, handed it to me.

I disassembled it, cleaned, replaced the Fan, redid all of the heat paste, thermal pads, put back the original GPU MS-1W051 Ver 1.0, desoldered the BIOS and got it reprogrammed with standard MSI BIOS... and handed it to my 8 year old... it has/had been working without issues.

Today, it died/wouldn't turn on. I checked the PSU voltage was fine... removed the GPU, and it would power up (no video or anything, but it would power up)... if I put the GPU in, it would not power up at all... checked the PSU and voltage was low... so I tried the replacement GPU that he had previously tried and it would power up (no video or anything, but it would power up). So concluded that it must be a bad GPU... inspected the GPU and sure enough, chip fried black with a tracer line as well. So the GPU/Card is TOAST! 

So, I suspect that I just need a new GPU card... since the extra GPU card I did have, did not fry when I plugged it in... I assume it won't display because of incompatibility between the Dell and MSI firmware or brand lockout... so my question is:

Is there any way to get this MS-1W051 Ver 1.1 working on this MSI? I don't have any other laptops that take this type of card (and MSI laptop won't boot/display anything without a working GPU card).

Much of the documentation I have found on what cards works as a replacement seem inconclusive and older documents indicate having to run hacked BIOS versions, etc... As mentioned, I can take the BIOS out of the MSI and reprogram it if required, I just need to know which BIOS to use exactly.

If I can't get the card I already have working, what card can I use without having to go nuts with firmwares, BIOS or driver mods?

I don't mind spending a little money to get it working again, but an expensive GPU might be too much... so something cheaper that just works is likely fine.

Any help would be appreciated, my son is going through Cuphead withdrawl.

Edited by cmariotti