Hello Fellow Tech Gurus!

I am having a huge headache after upgrading the ram memory of my m17x r3. 

First let me start by saying I have been experiencing issues with my current ram setup recently, and so i decided to replace the ram inside of my computer, thinking they had gone out on me. It originally came with x4 2gb memory sticks, and as I started to experience issue, I started to removed them, and I was down to 1 2gb stick. It seems to me ram slots 1 & 2 are not working properly as when I put ram memory into them I would get BSOD in 5-10 mins of computer usage after boot. So I am thinking the slots have gone out. I also tested each slot individually and still same effect.

So I went on the try out slots 3 & 4 under the keyboard, which seems to work just fine when I use only 1 ram chip in one or the other. But the problem occurs when I try and fill both ram slots in slots 3 & 4 under the keyboard with crucial 2x 8 gb of ram sticks, which total to 16gb total ram memory.

BSOD and freezing occurs like crazy. But if I use just one of the ram sticks in either slot, no problem.

I dunno if this is hardware or software. I am think that my motherboard is on its way out the door, but any suggestions you all have would be great. I have already clean installed win 7, and is currently running bios A10 (unlocked, I believe)

I would also like to note that my motherboards internal vga is not detected, and just noticed this a few days ago upon trying to figure out the ram situation.

other issues is my laptop battery is pretty much dead, and the only for my computer to cut on is if the AC adapter is connected

I would also like to know can 1x 16gb 1600 ram stick run in my computer? or is it not supported by my motherboard? 

thanks!

Specs:

Alienware M17xR3 (2011 3D FHD ed)

Service Tag:
30W75Q1

Bios ver:

A10 (should be unlocked)

Operating System
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)

Processor
Intel® Core™ i7-2960XM CPU @ 2.70GHz

Chipset
Intel® 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family

Graphics
Nvidia GTX 680m

Audio
IDT High Definition Audio CODEC
High Definition Audio Device

Networking and I/O
DW1501 Wireless-N WLAN Half-Mini Card
Atheros AR8151 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20)
HMA TAP-Windows Adapter V9

Memory
Crucial 8 GB (x2 qty) DDR3 PC3-12800 • CL=11 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1600 • 1.35V • 1024Meg x 64 •

(these only work under bay 3 or 4, but not dual 8gb at the same time, otherwise BSOD)

Configuration ID:
CT3283724

Storage
WDC WDBNCE5000PNC SSD (installed into bay 0)

get it up and running, and run the crucial website upgrade checker.    it will tell you what you can run. it should say if you can run that with one 16 gig stick, but I would figure out the true problems first before dumping money at it and going to single channel mode.

• 10 months later...

Hi Yoshomiamoto, the one possible issue could be with your ram speed. The R3s don't work very well with 12800 ram modules (some people manage to get it working but when you put more than one module in they start giving issues - possible a power issue). Try it with 10600 modules - should be able to take that all the way to 32Gb.