mirhamxa

No Booting After Updating Display Adapter Driver

Hi,

I have an old machine DV6 6050SE. I am using Windows 10 on this. From last few weeks, it is not booting. I reinstalled the windows and then it boots perfectly. But after few hours when its display driver gets updated from the internet, it doesn't boot on the next restart. 

I have tried this 3 times and everytime display adapter gets updated, it starts creating the problem. Can anyone suggest any solution.? 

Anyone who can help or suggest anything in this regard? 

Hi,

1. Can you try manually updating the intel/amd drivers to ensure the correct drivers are being installed for your hardware?

2. If that doesn't solve the issue then, can you then go on to HP support site and check to see if there's any BIOS updates and if there are any updates, install them and try again...

3. if it still doesn't work then HP have modified the drivers so you will need to get the latest driver from there and they're probably going to be for Windows 7. Even though you're on Win 10 install them anyway then update to the most recent drivers for Win 10.

4. OK if things still aren't working I can only advise going back to Windows 7 (easy if you have a recovery disc or partition) or even better, ditch Windows and install Linux. Linux, in general, has a much smaller footprint so everything should be feel snappier, Linux is great for breathing life into old systems. If your not Linux savy then use "Linux Mint" is highly user friendly but, if you are kind of technical and like to tinker the try Manjaro (with LXDE desktop for speed). Manjaro has access to the latest and greatest features but still goes through moderate testing to ensure everything work.

In fact, skip to 4 and ditch Windows. :frog:

I have downloaded the latest driver from HP official website and tried that on Windows 7. But right after I installed the driver file and system asks for reboot, it was not able to boot again even with Windows 7. 

So it means there might be some problem with the driver or with the graphics card. 

I never used Linux and I don't know about that. Not a single thing... 

Is there any way to change the graphic card? Can I replace the graphic module just like RAM, Hard Drive or Wifi Card? 

It does sound like a hardware issue and yes, you can change the gfx card. Though, you will need to find out what slot your laptop has.

If it has the MXM 3b it will be much easier for you to get a new gfx card as that has been the industry standard for quite a few years now. If not then, see if you can find a list cards made to fit the slot your laptop uses on Wiki or something and see if you can buy one second hand.

Also, Linux is pretty straight forward it's has a desktop, start menu with programs, web browser, no mandatory updates and forceful reboots from Microsoft. It's pretty simple as long as you don't use Arch or Gentoo tbh.

your laptop should have Intel and AMD gfx and if AMD is the problem, try and boot into safe mode and disable the AMD card in device manager else, you'll just have to remove the AMD card and run it solely on the Intel integrated graphics. That would be much easier if your just going to use it to browse the web with it.

If the Intel gfx is the problem see if you can disable it in the BIOS, else you'll need to get a replacement CPU.

You haven't actually stated which drivers cause the issue between Intel or AMD so, I've assumed it's been the fault of the AMD card for most of the posting btw

Edited by niroc
grama
  • Thumbs Up 2

It is AMD which is problematic. I have tried the Safe mode as you mentioned and then from Device Manager, I disabled the AMD graphic card. After that, I am able to boot my system normally. But I feel that speed is a bit slow after disabling the AMD graphics. 

I also asked a local shop, and they said AMD graphic card in my laptop DV6 6050SE cannot be replaced. 

BTW, I am not playing games or not doing any graphics work. I just use it for surfing the internet, or somehow I use Movavei video editing software to edit the videos. 

• Thumbs Up 1