Y500 Power Issue (LED info needed)

d4tur4

Hi, I just received a new motherboard for my Y500. Last one got fried, possibly by liquid damage. I have replaced the motherboard in this laptop once before with no problems.

There is an issue when I connect the motherboard to the AC Adapter WITHOUT battery, the motherboard shows no power LED.  My question is: should there be a power light on with AC connected and no battery in?

With (presumably completely drained) battery and AC Adapter connected, there is no AC Power light and the battery indicator is blinking amber infinitely.

The power on button from the laptop has become unsoldered so I have to get that repaired before I can actually attempt to turn the system on, but no power indicator is a bad sign. I tested the AC Adapter itself and the AC socket with a multimeter and they appear fine.

Don't know about the LED behaviour on this model, but you can start the system without using the button. These things work like a small trigger, flipping a relay switch once. With a photo or, better, the schematics it's easy to tell which pins you need to short.

Most systems use a separate power button board attached to the mb with a flat ribbon cable and they're a bit annoying to connect all the time when assembling. So if it's just a dry test I don't want to bother and simply short the connector pins on the mb.

An adapter showing ~19V does seem like a good indicator, but using only a multimeter that means you're testing a no-load situation (excepting the small load from its 9V battery). If it still has a single working buck converter then that might seem fine and all, but it won't be able to power on the system then. Could try hooking it up to a working system and make certain it's alright,