Dell/AW Tech Support

unreal25

Hi all,

I am wondering what does it takes to get a replacement laptop?

They are still trying to repair my M11x, which had:

1st visit tech: Repaired broken hinge, then during the repair the tech broke bottom panel

2nd visit tech: Tech tried to repaired bottom panel, didn't work.

3rd time: I sent laptop to Dell depot, they "repaired" bottom panel. (the same problem occured again afterward)

4th time (now): motherboard seem to die, they said they'll only send the tech with new mobo + AC adapter.

So the guy on the phone said I *might* be able to ask for replacement only if the new mobo doesn't work or I am unhappy. Note that the battery might be bad as well.

Any other ideas who I can conctact besides phone support? Thx

• Founder

I would let them try the repair, and then, unless i am 100% satisfied with the state of the laptop, contact BBB. (The only reason to let them try the repair, is that if you contact BBB now they could say you refused a repair attempt)

@Brian seemed to have good and fast results that way.

• Thumbs Up 1

yes i agree with Michael... i contacted BBB premptively and nearly didnt get anywhere because Dell got all legal law crazy on me and tried to take control of my case too much... In end BBB helped so i agree do mobo then when thats epic fail to ask for replacement and when they say no like they do make complaint to BBB and demand a new working system you will as mentioned be contacted by Dell about it in no more than a few days. Good Luck Unreal they can be real pains on these situations... i started new and they sent refurb but i got upgrades so it was still worth fighting them over. Good luck.

Yeah basically OK, we'll see whether and how the laptop works after I get the replacement parts. The problem is that the current laptop (M11x-R1) is pretty much worthless and has spent being broken most of the time when I had it. With mobo and AC adapter replaced pretty much the only thing that won't be replaced will be the keyboard and the top chassis part.

It is pissing me off because that was the second time I bought $1K laptop from Dell that ended up having tons of problems. Also I assume if they sent the R1 mobo cannot possibly be new, but only *significantly* old as of this moment. We'll see what happens. I know I have to be home help out the tech, because I just couldn't watch him last time he was here and I said "OK, let me give you a hand, I have some experience with this...".

The funny part is that the bottom panel screw breaking wasn't really tech's fault, I watched him all the time and he handled the laptop fine. Its really just crappy parts tbh. :-/

Edited by unreal25

Yeah basically OK, we'll see whether and how the laptop works after I get the replacement parts. The problem is that the current laptop (M11x-R1) is pretty much worthless and has spent being broken most of the time when I had it. With mobo and AC adapter replaced pretty much the only thing that won't be replaced will be the keyboard and the top chassis part.

It is pissing me off because that was the second time I bought $1K laptop from Dell that ended up having tons of problems. Also I assume if they sent the R1 mobo cannot possibly be new, but only *significantly* old as of this moment. We'll see what happens. I know I have to be home help out the tech, because I just couldn't watch him last time he was here and I said "OK, let me give you a hand, I have some experience with this...".

The funny part is that the bottom panel screw breaking wasn't really tech's fault, I watched him all the time and he handled the laptop fine. Its really just crappy parts tbh. :-/

then i would just start complaining now that you wont accept a mobo replacement go straight to asking right now for a replacement I had to pretty much do same thing as they were going to do that to me too on the M18x for me. tell them to cancel the parts and demand to speak to customer service and a manager.... you know what this is going to involve... hours on the phone bitching but dont get off the phone until they agree to a replacement. tell them they have to provide a comparable unit (M14x :) )

Edited by mw86

• Founder

I would just wait for the mobo replacement and once it is in, find a nice excuse (since it has some many problems it won't be that hard to find one) to call and then ask for a new laptop...

• Founder

Technically their warranty policy is only for 3 repairs and you could escalate it and make an issue out of it if you wanted. Depends on how much time you want to spend on the phone.

Technically their warranty policy is only for 3 repairs and you could escalate it and make an issue out of it if you wanted. Depends on how much time you want to spend on the phone.

thats only reason i suggested going after them now about it as it has been more than three now :) like you said either way its a lot of phone and complaining

Yeah that's the thing, technically I guess this is the third repair -- first being hinge, second bottom panel. Also, when I extended a laptop warranty, did I also extend a battery warranty? (I think that is separate.)

But... let's say the bottom panel issue still persists (after 3 "repairs")? Would that be enough to escalate it for replacement?

Edited by unreal25

• Founder

i definitely think it is. It's all about presenting your case correctly and of course, a bit of luck.

Also, the three repairs rule/law applies only when the same problem is repaired i believe.

Good luck man! I hope you get a good deal out of it! (my guess is a refurbished M11x-R2)

• Thumbs Up 1

i definitely think it is. It's all about presenting your case correctly and of course, a bit of luck.

Also, the three repairs rule/law applies only when the same problem is repaired i believe.

Good luck man! I hope you get a good deal out of it! (my guess is a refurbished M11x-R2)

you said it actually :) "It's all about presenting your case correctly and of course, a bit of luck" is very true :) "Also, the three repairs rule/law applies only when the same problem is repaired i believe" thats true based on their policy but in one way that isnt true if :) you present your case correctly and have a bit of luck. lol... you said it best Michael :)

Yeah basically the mobo seems dead atm and I talked to the guy on the phone and he escalated the case (he did say that he thinks it will be rejected tho) and that I will have reply by next Wed/Thu. Other than that, he offered to send the laptop to Dell for repair.

• Founder

you have the advanced on site warranty right ? if so you should not agree to send it to them and push for a replacement. Just like with brian and mw86, that probably won't get you anywhere unless BBB is involved.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have the standard basic on-site warranty, but it was extended from 1 to 2 years. I did not agree to send it in, even though after talking to the guy in "level 2" (lol...) that's what they decided, but instead to escalate the case. If it indeed gets rejected, how do I get about the BBB? I see that there is a form to fill online.

• Founder

Just go to BBB website and search for Dell. Pick the one with the round rock address and fill out your complaint in detail. That should get you a reply within 48 hours. At that point push for a refund or factory replacement.

Dell needs to stop screwing with their customers. If a laptop needs so many repairs, then replace it. Samsung and others are coming put with very nice alternatives and Dells market share keeps shrinking. Won't be surprised if they end up ditching their notebook division in the future as a spinoff company.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up 1

Will do. Thanks everyone for the advice! BTW there are three round rock addresses, I guess any one of them is fine?

1 Dell Way Round Rock, TX 786827000

1 Dell Way Ms 8210 Round Rock, TX 78682-0001

1 Dell Way Stop 8210 Round Rock, TX 78682

P.S. Brian I hope you don't mind me bothering you but I never did this BBB thing, so I sent you a GTalk friend request. Added Michael earlier and he was very helpful too. BTW if you guys use FB I can friend you there.... seems like "everyone" is on it these days, lol.

• 2 weeks later...

After more hours and arguing with dell tech support here's what I got:

M11x-R3 black refurb

Intel Core i7 2637M 1.7GHz (2.8GHz Turboboost)

8 GB RAM 1333 MHz

750 GB HD (7.2K rpm?)

nVidia Geforce GT540M

Gonna be some benching tonight fellas. :D

Edited by unreal25
  • Thumbs Up 2

• Founder
After more hours and arguing with dell tech support here's what I got:

M11x-R3 black refurb

Intel Core i7 2637M 1.7GHz (2.8GHz Turboboost)

8 GB RAM 1333 MHz

750 GB HD (7.2K rpm?)

nVidia Geforce GT540M

Gonna be some benching tonight fellas. :D

Congrats man, I knew it would work out! Just takes some time on the phone with Dell to get what you want.

Thanks a bunch to you as well. Can't believe I got this fully loaded machine. I thought I'll need to argue more for i3 but no. Go the best specced (excpet for an SSD) M11x-R3 they have atm.

I think we need more M11x scores and they will be coming right tonight. :) Installing stuff now.

Nice work unreal, I'm glad it worked out for you. I've got a Dell tech coming out to replace the mobo on my M11x today so I hope they don't botch it up.

Looking forward to seeing the benches. ;)

Thanks. Good luck with the mobo.

Hint: from what I remember talking to them on the phone if the mobo gets replaced > 1 time, you can start asking for replacement. Ofc doesn't mean you'd get it, but its definitely becoming a more realistic option. So I think its a win-win situation. You have nice specs on that R2 anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks unreal, it went well actually.

All it was, was a dying CMOS, which I had told Dell on the phone. They still insisted that I needed a replacement mobo, so I just said whatever and let them have their way.

When the tech came out he asked what the problem was and when I told him, he was curious to know why I needed a whole new motherboard. I said that it was the phone support who were so insistent on it and he understood. He didn't seem to impressed with the guys who had organised it as I think he had to make some calls as to why he didn't replace my whole mobo. So in the end, I got a new CMOS battery installed and that was it. Everything is working great and the tech was actually really good. Nothing like the horror stories that I have heard.

Also, thanks for letting me know about the replacement. I'm also secretly hoping my R2 dies in about a years time just before warranty runs out so I can gun for an R3 (or R4) replacement. ;)