Alienware M18R2 1 beep fixed by BIOS downgrading but "PXE-MOF exiting Intel PXE Rom. No bootable device" occurred

Good day all kind people.

Recently, my Alienware M18 R12 started producing 1 beep sound when booting without going even to the Alienware picture. I could not even get neither to BIOS nor to ePSA interfaces. At the beginning, this problem self-resolved if the laptop was restarted with the power button. However, then it began happening more often. Eventually, it stop booting normally at all. On the Dell website, I found out that that 1 beep signal means BIOS or motherboard corruption. 

Bearing this in mind, I downgraded the BIOS to A03 (because it was only available option I had) using this guideline https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/1527-how-to-recover-from-a-bad-flash-for-alienwa....

To some extent it helped - the beeping sound disappeared, it started booting normally and get to the logo picture. Nevertheless, after the logo picture, the booting process stops messaging the following: " For Atheros PCIE Ethernet Controller v2.0.5.9 (06/01/11). Check cable connection! PXE-MOF: exiting Intel PXE Rom. No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key". Furthermore, at the very beginning of the booting (before the logo appears), I am getting the message "RAID Volumes: none defined", HDD listed and the offer to press CTRL+I in order to configure RAID. At the same time, in BIOS Fixed HDD and mSata are visible.

I tried to change the booting order in BIOS and also tried to use optimal default settings, it did not help. Currently, the booting order is: HDD, mSata, CD, Network. I also disassembled the laptop and checked the HDD connections. 

Finally, I ran diagnostic using F12 menu (ePSA) - according to the results, HDD 0 is fine, and there is a problem with HDD 1. Error code: 2000-01 42. Validation:101139. Msg. Hard Drive 1 - S/N TW0K2FVY5508532J3773. I have read that the error 2000-01 42 usually means that the HDD should be replace, but it worked perfectly a couple days ago, so I do not believe that it is a root of the problem. According to the S/N, TW0K2FVY5508532J3773 is mSata.

Would you be so kind to advise how to fix this problem up?

Thank you in advance, I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Edited by Milkforthechamp

• 2 weeks later...

A defective mSATA drive is very much a possibility; an ssd will give you no 'tick-tick' warnings as with a head crash on a regular hdd. Install an OS on the regular hdd or use a spare and see whether the system will boot again. Once you've done that use HWiNFO or CrystalDiskInfo and check the SMART values of the mSATA drive. Recovering data from a dead ssd is quite a bit harder than with a hdd, so hope that you've made a backup or that it contains nothing overly critical.