RE:How to FIX Samsung SSD "Access Denied" in Alienware Laptop PC

I recently purchased 3 Samsung SSD's for my Alienware Mx18x R1, along with some external USB drive cases.

I intended to replace my two older SSD Hd's, through cloning but ran into a problem with the new Samsung SSD's giving an "Access Denied error",

I could not do anything they would not format.

What I purchased was

2 x Samsung Evo Pro 860 512 GB ssd (to replace existing internal drives)

1 x 1TB Samsung Evo Pro 850 ssd (for Backup in external case)

I tried using Macrium Reflect, drive cloning software, upgraded it from the free version but still no go.

I looked around on the internet for a solution (which included registry hacks, user permissions, ownership settings...) but nothing worked.

The solution that worked for me

was to download both

Samsung Magician

and 

Samsung Data Migration tool

I Cloned my existing C: Drive, to the "ALL" of new SSD's,
once this is done you can then reformat them if you want clean SSD drives
and they can be recognised by windows with "NO Access Denied" error.

NB: Samsung data migration tool would only let me Migrate a Primary C: drive, not my Dynamic Data drive, so I cloned the C; drive again, to my 2nd NEW Samsung Evo Pro 850, then I reformatted that 2nd drive in windows, to give me a clean drive.

I copied all data via an external USB drive case to the 2nd NEW reformatted drive.

Replacing the old primary NTFS drives with the new Samsung drives and all is working.

Edited by Veet

Once I had my 2 x internal new Samsung Evo SSD's working, I jumped into samgung Magician.

I turned Rapid Mode to on which produced phenominal speeds.

This was even more amazing as

My old drives plus the newly installed Evo drives and Bios were set to Raid IDE, not "AHCI",

despite this (which I intend to fix later - due to original install and setup complication)

setting Samsung Magician setting for Rapid Mode to on produced phenominal speeds.

Edited by Veet

NB: External none compatible Samsung storage seemed to not be recognised while Samsung Magician was in Rapid Mode.

My external storage stopped showing in Windows explorer

The fix was to turn Rapid Mode off then on again or leave it off.

all came good turning rapid mode off then on again, Magician got its knickers in a twist.

You need to know what made the external USB storage stop working, else like me you will waste time reinstalling drives, checking devices and Bios settings.

Edited by Veet

My remaining loosely related issue (as the new drives are doing what they should now) is related to upgrading my OS to Win 10 and wanting to reset the Bios drive setting to run AHCI (best ssd comparability mode).

I would like to install Win 10 over my current Win 7 install, but cant because to save space on the old drives I moved some windows system directories to the data drive and replacing my old data drive with the new stops some windows functionality.

This should not be a problem though if you have a standard Windows install to upgrade on top of.

My trying to install a new OS problem is related to the fact that I altered the path to some windows directories so they stored stuff like "user dir" on my data drive, this means I need to do an OS reinstall, but you will likely not need to if your old drives are primary and you use a standard OS setup.

But I can refit the old drives as they were to keep working while

I do a fresh install on the new drives, plus because my original data drive were setup as a dynamic "virtual raid partition" I will set that up as AHCI SSD mode, then try Magician Rapid Mode on top of that. 

On the bright side a fresh install will clean years of clutter up.

Edited by Veet

RE: Does rapid mode work on external Evo drive (in a USB case) while set to rapid mode.

I cant test this until I do my fresh install on the new internal drives, as I need to use the 1 tb 850 Evo through a couple of reformat before I am all set up.

I will post back when I test this.

Stay tuned!

Here are some Samsung EVO 860 Pro 512 GB SSD

"BENCH MARKS"

none rapid mode v rapid mode 

Please note the drives are "NOT" yet in AHCI mode

Sequential Read 560 MB/s (no Rapid Mode) to

Sequential Read 4,006 MB/s (in Rapid Mode)

Sequential Write 519 MB/s (no Rapid Mode) to

Sequential Write 3,883 MB/s

Random Read 82,275 IOPS (no Rapid Mode) to

Random Read 116,699 iops

Random Write 70,566 IOPS (no Rapid Mode) to 

Random Write 58,593 IOPS

Edited by Veet

• 3 years later...

Some SSD models may not be compatible with laptops from other companies. You can try to buy an adapter so that your laptop can identify the SSD. I had a similar problem when I bought an SSD for my old computer. I didn't know how to fix the problem for a long time, but these guys https://www.salvagedata.com/ssd-data-recovery helped me get everything done. I brought all the system files to the SSD so that my laptop would not overload me during work. Moreover, all the important information I store on the SSD.

Edited by selangarp