Sign in to follow this  
Losercore13

M18X R2 Different Display

Is there a way to get a 144 HZ Display for the m18x R2? I was trying to think of a meaningful 5th Post for promotion, so there it is! Haha, but really, is there?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Klem
      In this thread you can post your requests for Lenovo ThinkPad T450s.
      If someone wants upgrade Wi-Fi card and remove whitelist, or unlock hidden additional menus and settings in bios setup menu, or already upgraded Display and after that can't adjust screen brightness, then you can post your request in this thread.
      Important!
      For creating bios backup and to flash bios mod, you must use any SPI programmer  (like CH341A programmer) and a SOIC8/SOP8 test clip!

Just dump your Bios using any SPI programmer  (like CH341A programmer) and a SOIC8/SOP8 test clip, then post it in this thread or upload it to any fileserver and send me the link.

CH341A programmer:
      https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Programmer-CH341A-Series-Burner-Chip-24-EEPROM-BIOS-Writer-25-SPI-Flash-AU/153117073868?epid=577511738&hash=item23a67d21cc:g:XKEAAOSw5UdbW-iL

https://www.amazon.com/Parts-tower-CH341A-Programmer-Software/dp/B01FVVHCVC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1522179315&sr=8-4&keywords=ch341a&dpID=51BO7eGgO5L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

SOIC8/SOP8 test clip:
      https://www.ebay.com/itm/Soic8-Sop8-Flash-Chip-Ic-Test-Clips-Socket-Adpter-Bios-24-25-93-Programmer/201414947737?hash=item2ee5443399:g:up8AAOSw1Fda8qkt

https://www.amazon.ca/MAUSAN-Socket-Adapter-150MIL-205MIL/dp/B06ZYSNJF3/ref=pd_sbs_21_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=XM79QJWGED6B4K2VEZDJ

How to use it:

Also, you can search on YouTube a lot of guide for CH341a.

• By Max2016
      Help me Tech Inferno, you're my only hope.

Ok so firstly, apologies for yet another 8 beeps thread. I must have read 100 of them over the last week. I feel like I'm missing something obvious, but I'm totally burned out after days of working on this so would appreciate some outside perspective.

I live in the UK, so I've avoided buying a 980m to upgrade my 660 for years to due the price/import tax etc. I finally found a good priced 980m on Ebay a few weeks ago so I thought why not give my trusty 18x r2 a few extra years of life.

I ordered the 100w heatsink, x bracket etc from Eurocom at the same time and everything arrived on the same day.

Here's what I've done so far in the last 7 days:

-Flashed unlocked A11 BIOS (I rolled back to Dell A11 first)

-Removed  660m and installed 980m

-With BIOS in Legacy, Installed Windows 7 on a new SSD with BIOS set to IGFX

-Tried to switch to PEG but got 8 beeps so reset CMOS battery

-Switched to SG and booted to Windows. 980m detected as default hardware. Installed 980m Driver from Eurocom and restarted. Device manager shows 980m  working normally along with HD Graphics 4000. Tried PEG again but still got 8 beeps

-Reset battery, booted to Windows and disabled the 980m in Device Manager

-Flashed VBIOS from here  (I read that the dell VBIOS doesn't work well so tried Clevo one first, but I've since tried both and a few others)

-Re enabled 980m and restarted Laptop still in Legacy SG.

-Tried to test a game but they only want to use HD Graphics 4000. When I try to open NVIDIA Control Panel and change some settings I get a blue screen and have to restart.

-Tried PEG again, still 8 beeps

I've tried many combinations of drivers, VBIOS and BIOS settings over the last week but the result is mostly the same. I get 8 beeps in PEG. I thought perhaps the seller had sent me a G-sync version as I have read these don't play well with PEG, but I checked the hardware ID (PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13D7&SUBSYS_05501028&REV_A1) and what I've read seems to indicate this is the Non G-Sync card.

I got the 980m rather than the 1060 after reading the forums as I saw so many success stories I figured it would be the safer option.

I understand this laptop is basically dead to most of you now, but if any techsperts are around and could give me some other things to try I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thank you,

Max

• By cactaur1640
      Hello everyone!

So on occasion I host gaming nights over at my house, and usually end up hooking my laptop up to a big TV so me and a couple friends can all play all kinds of multiplayer games (either emulated or off of steam).

But I was recently thinking that it would be fun to get a projector set up, so that we could play on a huge blank wall in my living room.

With that being said: I'm new to purchasing projectors, so I'm not familiar with what kinds of features/specifications I should be looking for (and I'd like to keep the cost down if it's possible).

So I was wondering if anyone has any advice for me on what to look for in features/specifications, affordable places to buy from, or just general info on what I'm trying to do. 

Any help would be super appreciated!
    • By Losercore13
      I have installed my 980M on myR2, Got the 8 Beeps, I thought with the A12 BIOS and Windows 10 it should have worked. Oh well, going to tear it back down and put the 675M's back in. Ijust got promoted and am downloading the A11 unlocked BIOS . So, Next teardown I am going to be completely ready. I just want to get this in and see if I can get it working before my return window passes. I have posted a few places here, and on Notebook Review on several threads about this stuff, and have received one response. Is this site still active? Do I need a modified driver still, all that stuff looks really old, 2013-2016 type stuff. I need to know about 2018. I have read that Nvidia added support for the maxwell in m18x r2. Am I wrong? Can someone offer advice? I have read that this thing should have been plug and play with windows 10 on Eurocom, Do I just need their driver? PLEASE HELP!!! Thank You!!!
    • By Losercore13
      I decided to buy a 980M for my R2. I have gone down the rabbit hole in these forums (Here and notebook review) but most of it appears to be from 2012-2016. I am not planning on overclocking, and for now am replacing the 2x 675m sli (Alienware Tech support fried one of my 675M's with a thermal pad on the GPU, yes a thermal pad instead of paste, see photo.) with a single 980M solution. I have finally managed to get this site to send a confirmation email, then turns out I wait a week download the unlocked A11 BIOS. Do I even still need it? I will pay if I need it for sure to get it faster. What I'm getting at, is this still a thing? I have read that Nvidia added support for the R2 in their driver, so no modded driver is needed. Did alienware add support for maxwell with the A12 BIOS? I can't find a difinitive answer. Sorry, I have read so much about this the past week, but haven't come up with a cut and dry yes or no. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.