Apologies for the spam Read more... ×
EwinRacing Flash Series Gaming Chairs
Sign in to follow this  
true2456

m17x r4 980m Low performance

Hey all, just got my m17xr4 and put my 980m from my m15x (old) in it. I was able to score much higher graphics score in firestrike even though it is a much older machine. I made a custom vbios for the m15x to get rid of any throttling, and am in the process of making on for the m17xr4 but I'm wondering if there is anything else I have missed to deal with the throttling. any help would be appreciated :)

I fixed this issue by making a Vbios that runs the card at 99% instead of 100% to get rid of the throttle, but now I'm having an issue where the system will shut off when GPU usage gets too high for a period of time. It's not the temps as they never even get over 70. the charger doesn't turn off when the system does, but I noticed its starting to rip where the charger plug connect to the cable. Does this sound like power issues or something else?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Vladimir
      Hi Guys, may be someone could give me a good advice...
      The system:
      Alienware m17x R4 with 120hz panel form r3 (LG - LGD02C5)
      Bios Dell A15 (Also tried unlocked A11)
      Now installed GTX 860m 4gb (Kepler edition) works with no issue
      Bought GTX 970 6gb Aetina production Works under MS driver Does not show image on eDP internal screen right after installing Nvidia modded drivers All external ports ( HDMI, eDP VGA) works with no issues - tested on benchmarks the card itself works great The internal screen could blink several times depending on vBios flashed ( so the card is trying to fire it up) Internal screen is not recognized properly - Using Monitor asset manager i observed that: GTX 860 create two monitor entries 1) Realtime and 1) Registry GTX 970m creates two monitor entries 1)Registry and 2) Registry If I change the max Hz using CRU to 100 and Close/Open laptop screen it will show picture in 1024x768 resolution with no possibility to extend and it also see a "Virtual monitor" attached to real one ( extended)

So the main issue is that INTERNAL Display is recognized AS 2 displays 1 connected to the internal laptop port and one into Display port:
      https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1gehYFsabXcrB9bvaKwsTSCqIS4FGSGIF?usp=sharing

vBios tried Premav2, MSI,Dell,Clevo Drivers version tried: 340,350,380,411

I searched for a something related to my issue here and found themes which are really near - but with different problems
    • By Soapy
      I reversed the input polarity on my m15x jack after a botched psu repair. Computer worked fine, but overall power control is messed up. System only boot on both battery and psu, no battery charge, and a very low battery drain (arround 6wh).

I aways had battery issues whith my 8 years old m15x after my original battery died. Bought a new one two years ago, didn't work. Checked on upower, basically no info on manufacturer, power or history. So i refunded and used the system hooked on the psu as usual. In August i bought a new one, worked flawlessly for a day. The next day the battery died from nowere. Checked upower, bus was ok, battery was charging extremely slowly (6wh), history showed subpar disharge before shutting down. I got mad at this point, decided that psu was to blame. Opened it, checked everything, noticed some wear on the male jack. Resoldered it, connected on computer. Nothing happened, so i checked the voltage. That's when i realised that i screwed up big time. I swaped the positive and negative wires. Decided that one mistake was enough, so i sent my m15x to a trusted repair shop (latter found that they just hooked the battery and gave me back as soon as it booted, they didnt even open it). Got my pc a week later, but the battery didn't charge . Worse, it was slowly discharging (same 6wh as before), and it needed both the psu and the battery to turn on. At 65%, it worked as usual for my college semester, but the battery is dead, and so is my computer. I bellieve i burned some voltage controller or something. I'm pretty competent at soldering thing's (evem smd components) when i know what to do, and i can understand simple circuit's, but when i got my hands on the m15x datasheet i got overblown. I cant make heads or tails about it. I aways lurked this forum and i bellieve your guys are the best when it comes to finding creative solutions to technical problems concerning microelectronics. I followed a guide in this forum as a teenager to upgrade this same computer to a gtx680m, overclocked stuff, got custom bios, and had a lot of fun learning. The m15x is a deprecated platform, but it's a part of my history that i dont want to let go.
      So please guys, help me.

• By Lyency
      bonjour, je souhaiterai unlock mon bios A15 de mon alienware m17x r4 . pouvez vous m'aider?
      je possède l'unlock A14 est il compatible avec le bios A15?
    • By Zer0kbps
      Hi there, 

I'm planning to upgrade my gpu to the gtx 980 from my now knackered cooked 9 times hd7970, but looking at pictures and videos on the web I have a different 3 pipe heatsink to most it seems... 

Others appear to have more copper present on the memory cooler section than mine. 

My question is for anyone who has the same heatsink or knows of this one, have they been able to cool another gpu successfully? 

• By Edrc
      Hello,

I am new on this forum, so I am sorry if posting at the wrong place. It's been 2 weeks that I am searching how to make my GTX 980M 8GB working Inside my Alienware 17 R1 (June 2014, i7 4710MQ, 60 Herts Display, OPTIMUS and the GTX 880M Inside died.)
      After "quickly" looking some forums, I saw that a 980M would easily fit Inside … but maybe I was wrong.

Hardware wasn't a problem. I've also could install drivers by modding the nvdmi or nvcvi. inf files. The card was recognied BUT :
      the clock speed is locked a 135 or 405 Mherts and fan is not runing when booted up.
      I tried to flash vBios with nvflash and some ROM I found on vBios collection … but no way to get this working properly.

So, i'm coming here. I've seen many people talking about Prema or svl7 or other big boss in the place … but ? how ? where ? when ?

Inside the peripherial manager I have this in remote acces path : PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1617&SUBSYS_05AA1028&REV_A1\4&D590A51&0&0008
      So I assume my GTX 980M card ID is 1617 and vendor and PC Model are 05AA 1028.
      But near the "Standard Microsoft Video Card" there is a yellow exclamation point and Inside details it says "this peripherial doesn't work properly" when no Nvidia drivers installed.
      I could find some vBios with 1617 (Asus) but black screen at boot up. Since laptop model where not the same .. probably.
      And I wasn't able to find 1617 with the existing 05AA 1028 … as the GTX 980M was not an option for my model. (AW 17 R1 2014 ,60Herts)
      I tried 353.60, 382.33 and 419.35 drivers. The latest one seems easier to install but longer.

BIOS is A16 from Dell. And I am using Windows 10. Got a Dell 330W brick. 

I saw a guy with the exact model as me, he gets a modded vBios especially for his configuration, then everything worked easily … but can't find the topic again

I guess depending on the card info and the laptop model … a dedicated vBios is required … 

So, If anyone here got some informations or any kind of help for me, it would be very nice.

Thanks for reading and help.  

PS: there are a lot of files, pictures and links that I can't see on this forum .. even after registration …. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.