m17x r4 980m Low performance

true2456

Hey all, just got my m17xr4 and put my 980m from my m15x (old) in it. I was able to score much higher graphics score in firestrike even though it is a much older machine. I made a custom vbios for the m15x to get rid of any throttling, and am in the process of making on for the m17xr4 but I'm wondering if there is anything else I have missed to deal with the throttling. any help would be appreciated :)

I fixed this issue by making a Vbios that runs the card at 99% instead of 100% to get rid of the throttle, but now I'm having an issue where the system will shut off when GPU usage gets too high for a period of time. It's not the temps as they never even get over 70. the charger doesn't turn off when the system does, but I noticed its starting to rip where the charger plug connect to the cable. Does this sound like power issues or something else?

• 1 year later...
On 9/5/2018 at 6:22 AM, true2456 said:

I fixed this issue by making a Vbios that runs the card at 99% instead of 100% to get rid of the throttle, but now I'm having an issue where the system will shut off when GPU usage gets too high for a period of time. It's not the temps as they never even get over 70. the charger doesn't turn off when the system does, but I noticed its starting to rip where the charger plug connect to the cable. Does this sound like power issues or something else?

I have the same problem does anyone figured this out?

I don't know about the system shut-off issue but the M15x/M17x/M18x can power throttle with the 900 and 1000 series cards. The trick I was taught was to go into your unlocked BIOS and set the machine to iGFX and reboot, then go back into the BIOS and set it to SG/PEG again and reboot. This works for my M18x R2 with a 1070. 

• Thumbs Up 1