What do you use as cooler on your notebook?

Im using the Cooler Master u3. Find it to be very handy with the adjustable fans on it. Any new laptop i get i can make sure the fans are always placed right under the intakes so it cools it quite well. My older laptop i have it cooled it by 10 degrees and stopped it from throttleing itself so i would say its one of the best thing i ever got as an accesory

I have an old Cooler Master Notepal Color Infinite. I got it for my Acer 5739g which got pretty toasty but now I'm using it with my Lenovo Y500. The soul purpose of the cooling pad is to keep the laptop from suffocating on the soft leather padded coffee table in the living room where the laptop spends most of its time. I don't even plug the cooling pad in most of the time as the laptop runs pretty cool.

• 2 weeks later...

Cooler master u3, biggest change is the temp of my videocard, running like 15degrees lower idle (m17x r4), more people seen this?

Normal it would always idle on 53 - 55 and now its like 36 - 38!!

CPU just a little bit lower, like 2 - 3 degrees.

i use n8 ultra atm which is dual 140mm adjustable fans also am really satisfied with this one. fan speed is impressive and overall air blowing is best from what i have used before including deep cool n6 and zalman zm nc3000u. during full load temps are around 10 dec lower with this one. highly recommend this one for 17inch laptops for 15.6 inch this one is bit powerful that you can feel the air blow on your hands so not really comfortable for other inches of laptops

I use a notepal u2. the aluminum body is nice, and has rubber stoppers to keep the laptop from sliding. HOWEVER, although it comes advertised with 2 adjustable fans on the bottom, the airflow you get from them is pretty dismal. but hey, better than nothing.

I've two coolers for my alienware M17X. The Antec cooler 200 and the COOLER MASTER NotePal U2 R9-NBC-8PBK-GP.

The Antec is efficient but noisy ant i had to remove the "glass" part of the top as my laptop was sliding on them.

The Cooler Master is efficient too, more silent and it does not require composant removal to fit the M17X. Moreover, if you now the heat points under your laptop, you can place the cooler fans precisely where it is needed.

The two system are USB powered (no additional power connector needed).

• 2 weeks later...

I got a really good cooler which is extracting hot air from the notebook rather then try to blowing cool air into it. But after I did a carefully clean up for every piece of heating part, the cooler is no longer needed even under OC and heavy load.

I use "laptop lifts" as Brian mentioned. They stick on the base of the machine with 3m double side adhesive and lift the laptop significantly off the desk. Great improvement and is all that is needed. :Banane44:

• Thumbs Up 1

I use the CoolerMaster U2 for my alienware m17x. Had it for 2 years now and apparently still going strong, though I've had to vacuum it a few times due to dust buildup.

Decreases temps by about 5-8c, so imo worth it. Cost about $60, which compared with the generic ones, is a bit pricy. I like it because you can put the fans directly under my laptop's fans. However I tried it on a laptop without bottom vents and still saw a 5c reduction in GPU temps, so guess it doesn't really matter.

I use a lapinator passive cooling pad. :) it works wonders on my laptop because it allows more airflow to it (there are rubber feet protruding from the surface) and since the GE60's fan is kinda strong, it doesnt overheat even with OC. :) playing games at ultra settings (768p) 75c - 80c temps

I've got an MSI GT70 that I'm slowly building a completely custom cooler for. I'm maybe 1/4 done so far since I only work on it during my lunch break at work.

That being said, I'm using 2 x 120mm fans in the rear, 1 which will force air into the cooler for the GPU and then out the side exhuast, and the other to cool the CPU and memory and everywhere else int he notebook.

I'll be making it so I can still access the rear inputs to the notebook, and will most likely be making the top of the cooler completely open with some foam/rubber on top to create a good seal with the bottom of the laptop. This should help prevent air from escaping the enclosure.

Overall, it will be interesting, since it will autocenter the laptop properly where it needs to go. I wish I had photo's of it right now, but it's still mostly in pieces and barely recognizable as a cooler. Probably end of April I'll finish it. Will probably post pictures then.