What do you use as cooler on your notebook?

Well depending two fans can accelerate each other so sometimes you can get more air forced through your heat sinks... but not much of a noticable amount of change in temps will be seen when gaming, or processing something with a heavy load. More likely if you sufing net and watching videos it will help keep temps low but there's probably only a 1 to 5 degree difference max compared to just propping it up off the table surface. I was thinking of combining air conditioning and a notebook cooler...

Well depending two fans can accelerate each other so sometimes you can get more air forced through your heat sinks... but not much of a noticable amount of change in temps will be seen when gaming, or processing something with a heavy load. More likely if you sufing net and watching videos it will help keep temps low but there's probably only a 1 to 5 degree difference max compared to just propping it up off the table surface. I was thinking of combining air conditioning and a notebook cooler...

that sounds like a cool mod. would love to see what you come up with.

• 4 months later...

I just bought an Alienware m14x i5, 3gb Nvidia. I am mostly going to be using the laptop for gaming and for school work (im in a game design and developement program). Ive looked at multiple coolers but wanted some opinions on what would be best as I am fairly certain I will be pushing the laptop pretty hard for extended periods of time. Thanks

don't have an M14x but from my experience with M15x, M17x-r2 and M17x-r3, most coolers will do little to nothing to help with temps. how ever propping up the back end will help maintain a cooler temp overall. what i highly suggest is repasting and repadding.

• Thumbs Up 1

also, does anyone have the m14x with the i5? if so do you have high temps? I got the i5 mainly because, imo, quad cores are not yet better than the dual cores and also from what i know the space constraints associated with the m14x are not optimal for the i7. if you think im talking out my arse please let me know, but show some proof please. respectfully

also, does anyone have the m14x with the i5? if so do you have high temps? I got the i5 mainly because, imo, quad cores are not yet better than the dual cores and also from what i know the space constraints associated with the m14x are not optimal for the i7. if you think im talking out my arse please let me know, but show some proof please. respectfully

I think you're talking out your arse, but mainly in terms of benchmarks, games I think you're pretty much right (so far).

I think you're talking out your arse, but mainly in terms of benchmarks, games I think you're pretty much right (so far).

sorry for not being more specific about what aspects of the cpu i was referring to as i was talking about gaming. also are the benchmarks way off? 99.999%, it seems, of people with the m14x have opted for the i7 and so its almost like those with the i5 are "afraid?" to post benchmarks. maybe i missed the thread? just found out i need glasses after 20+ years of 20/13 vision and it limits my ability to lurk. Any links would be greatly appreciated. :30_002: may need to move this post, a little off topic...sorry

Lol, thanks for noticing mooshkill3r :P theres a thread on performance with the i5, also some 3dmark11 scores in the benchmarking area. Sorry to hear about the vision dillema :( BTW thanks for reminding me i need to post more stuff.

Shizz-link-el:

http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m14x/994-thread-m14x-i5.html

• 5 months later...
that sounds like a cool mod. would love to see what you come up with.

Hey what goes as low as 20F / -5C :) and is Black, hint its has fans and an Alien.

:) My Notebook Cooler!

Forced Air Cooling - with a sealed up notebook cooler and an AC Modded to a desk :):67:

A took an hour to construct with all materials present

B Materials: Air Conditioner, Notebook Cooler mine is USB powered and use 1-220mm fan, double stick (sided) tape, Desk (with wire guide hole in top add if not existing (mine was a 1 foot slit about 1 1/2 inch wide gap)), Dryer vent hose, Aluminum foil, foam, tape, and if remaining foam from notebook cooler packing foam it will save time

C 1 add foam cut to size to fit in AC unit's air output with front face off... and set on inside shelf of laptop desk. Insert a few of these into the opening till a gap is only big enough for the dryer vent hose you got. since most is round and the one i got is aluminum i was able to bend end of vent hose into rectangular shape and inserted it also into the cool air output of the AC. Be sure now enough foam pieces to block the rest of the cool air vent are snuggly wedged into place.

2 tape aluminum foil over the foam used to seal cool air vent on AC and seal edges with tape (aluminum foil traps cool air from escaping and helps insulate keep air cold) and tape around edge of dryer vent hose too.

3 now care fully bend the house into the shape needed to bend over front of AC on top of AC and under top of desk up into the hole in desk (usually found as a wire guide... make one if none exists)

4 seal hose again and i additionally screwed a screw into the edges of the aluminum vent hose into desk top surface to prevent it from moving much

5 add now aluminum foil and seal with tape onto the surface of the desk where notebook cooler will be over and over any gaps or additional holes by the vent hose coming out of top of desk... tape edges and seal again ( may be a slit as mentioned so additional foil to be used)

6 place notebook cooler over it and in position the cool air vent is blowing under the cooler and will reach the proper pull of the notebook coolers fans. Lay the foam pre-cut for the whole edge of notebook cooler in place so it sits on it. use tap on edge of Styrofoam to lock in place for next part... tape outer edge on desk and foam to make a hinge you can get to bottom of foam but still have the right position on desk. remove excess foam if needed so that notebook cooler sits sealed on this foam under left and right edges. Now cut foam pieces in medium sized and as long as necessary to seal the under edge of notebook cooler at front base and rear at base so no outside air is pulled in but only the vent hose air from AC. move Styrofoam to left and right so you see under it and hinges that way so placement is not lost... under where these two pieces will lay lay a long strip for both pieces under its patch and remove the plastic so the top side adhesive is exposed. lay down the foam again and press down to ensure the foam is adhered to the desk. now use the double sided tape to attach the other foam made out for under the notebook cooler edges.

7 Place Notebook on cooler and look from all sides at gap use best judgement and seal the 4 sides by attaching to the notebook cooler the light soft foam in similar strips with the double stick tape. if a little air escapes okay but majority should be sealed. this way nothing is added to the notebook and i can still also use the notebook cooler on the go without the desk and AC... it even fits easily in my M18x bag with the M18x and cords and game controllers mice and additional devices :) so notebook cooler isn't attached just set in place :)

8 PICS :) no particular order :)

post-34-1449499243504_thumb.jpg

I measured with a thermometer over the notebook cooler no laptop on it (not even on) and the AC on... temp was at 40F as a high but when the condenser was on as low as -5C or 20F :) Burrrr

post-34-14494992427291_thumb.jpg

post-34-14494992428852_thumb.jpg

post-34-14494992430379_thumb.jpg

post-34-14494992431905_thumb.jpg

post-34-1449499243346_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...

I built a custom cooling pad. It uses a 120v to 18v dc transformer, three 60mm industrial fans, and a on/off switch on the side, Its at about a 17 degree angle, and I have the fans cut out for where my laptop needs cooling. I have an overclocked m14x, thus I have the left fan forcing air into the heatsink, the middle fan cooling the core of the laptop, and the right fan pulling air through the ram. I have noticed temp drops around 20 degrees.

Zalman NC2000 /w Asus N55SF.

That is a good cooler I had one but gave it to my GF. My brother and mother have same one for their notebooks. I rellaced with NC3000 different design though has more plastic than the nc2000 but still a sheet of aluminum and instead of two small fans one giant whisper quiet 220mm fan. Both give a great amount of cooling while keeping extremely quiet.

- - - Updated - - -

I built a custom cooling pad. It uses a 120v to 18v dc transformer, three 60mm industrial fans, and a on/off switch on the side, Its at about a 17 degree angle, and I have the fans cut out for where my laptop needs cooling. I have an overclocked m14x, thus I have the left fan forcing air into the heatsink, the middle fan cooling the core of the laptop, and the right fan pulling air through the ram. I have noticed temp drops around 20 degrees.

That sounds really great. Would you be willing sometime to post a few pics of it or even better a basic build guide for others to recreate it? Im sure a few m14x users would appreciate it. Sounds quite beastly.

Have always stuck to my Zalman I bought 3 years ago. The metal construction is amazingly sturdy and not cheap feeling. (though its heavier than most other coolers made from plastic) However, unless I am gaming, I just simply prop my laptop up with a paperback..

• 2 weeks later...

I find that simply propping up your laptop at the back is insanely beneficial, lol. My solution is a complete hackjob, I just use a couple of wine corks at the back of my rig and it gives ample air clearance and flow, cost me nothing! Solution to those out there who don't want to buy a cooler! :P

Anything that improves airflow under the chassis works wonders especially on models with fans that exhaust down. When flat on the table my M14xR2's cores register peak temps at about 85C and average temps of about 80C under load with the fan running at full speed. With the back elevated and under the same load the cores peak at about 75C and average temps of about 72C and the fan runs slower. Anything that doesn't block the fan(s) works. In the past I have used books, engineering rulers (with the three "blades"), a folding x-shaped stand, even a pair of rubber door wedges (which are inexpensive and compact).

• 2 months later...

I wanted to buy the Cryo LX but that thing seems more like urban legend then anything else :)

It's so scares to find so i bought the NC-3000U also.

The upside:

It's cheap compared to the other " high end" notebook coolers.

The bottom of the fan casing is just perforated, so the big fan can't get cought on anything.

It can fit on you lap with the 5,5kg on it....but how long will you do that exersise :) so i have it on my desk....the big fan just whispers and is fan speed adjustable......although i don't a shred of difference between the lowest and highest setting.

It has a grip (rubber everywhere) like vicegrip and weighs nearly nothing.

It has extra usb ports so that also is a big plus.

The downside:

The big fan is the only fan and cannot be re-positioned so there is no real airflow in my 2 gpu intakes on the bottom. :(

All in all its a nice notebook cooler