M18X R2 With 980M in 2018 Still an issue?

I decided to buy a 980M for my R2. I have gone down the rabbit hole in these forums (Here and notebook review) but most of it appears to be from 2012-2016. I am not planning on overclocking, and for now am replacing the 2x 675m sli (Alienware Tech support fried one of my 675M's with a thermal pad on the GPU, yes a thermal pad instead of paste, see photo.) with a single 980M solution. I have finally managed to get this site to send a confirmation email, then turns out I wait a week download the unlocked A11 BIOS. Do I even still need it? I will pay if I need it for sure to get it faster. What I'm getting at, is this still a thing? I have read that Nvidia added support for the R2 in their driver, so no modded driver is needed. Did alienware add support for maxwell with the A12 BIOS? I can't find a difinitive answer. Sorry, I have read so much about this the past week, but haven't come up with a cut and dry yes or no. 

IMG_0763.JPG

Edited by Losercore13
Typo

Glad to know the M18xR2 is still alive despite "End of Life" from Dell. To my knowledge (limited though it may be) if you want Maxwell coverage (and you do) you will need the A11 Bios by Swick on this site pretty much guaranteed to work. Don't waste your time with the A12 on the Dell web site. Unlocked A11 works like a cool breeze. Please, you don't need to pay. Just post questions and you get access, just read the rules. Simple. This site is a gold mine for your Rig and many others. I have trolled many hours and cured many ills, solved many problems. Trust me, there are a great many authors here who stepped in whatever problem you are having and walked out unscathed and smelling like a rose. Its worth it to post a few questions. Worth It. Look and Ye shall stumble upon. Or not. 

Your mileage may vary.

Good Luck.

BTW, why only one 980M? Your Rig was made for two?

$$$ I’m hoping to get a second one soon(ish). Currently back in school so dough is tight.

Thank you for the response! I’ve found a wealth of information already on this site, so I’ll be sticking around. My only problem I’ve had is finding very old information, I guess these laptops are considered old now too though! It’s sometimes hard to find out if something is still relevant or not.

• 1 month later...