Losercore13

M18X R2 With 980M in 2018 Still an issue?

I decided to buy a 980M for my R2. I have gone down the rabbit hole in these forums (Here and notebook review) but most of it appears to be from 2012-2016. I am not planning on overclocking, and for now am replacing the 2x 675m sli (Alienware Tech support fried one of my 675M's with a thermal pad on the GPU, yes a thermal pad instead of paste, see photo.) with a single 980M solution. I have finally managed to get this site to send a confirmation email, then turns out I wait a week download the unlocked A11 BIOS. Do I even still need it? I will pay if I need it for sure to get it faster. What I'm getting at, is this still a thing? I have read that Nvidia added support for the R2 in their driver, so no modded driver is needed. Did alienware add support for maxwell with the A12 BIOS? I can't find a difinitive answer. Sorry, I have read so much about this the past week, but haven't come up with a cut and dry yes or no. 

IMG_0763.JPG

Edited by Losercore13
Typo

Glad to know the M18xR2 is still alive despite "End of Life" from Dell. To my knowledge (limited though it may be) if you want Maxwell coverage (and you do) you will need the A11 Bios by Swick on this site pretty much guaranteed to work. Don't waste your time with the A12 on the Dell web site. Unlocked A11 works like a cool breeze. Please, you don't need to pay. Just post questions and you get access, just read the rules. Simple. This site is a gold mine for your Rig and many others. I have trolled many hours and cured many ills, solved many problems. Trust me, there are a great many authors here who stepped in whatever problem you are having and walked out unscathed and smelling like a rose. Its worth it to post a few questions. Worth It. Look and Ye shall stumble upon. Or not. 

Your mileage may vary.

Good Luck.

BTW, why only one 980M? Your Rig was made for two?

$$$ I’m hoping to get a second one soon(ish). Currently back in school so dough is tight.

Thank you for the response! I’ve found a wealth of information already on this site, so I’ll be sticking around. My only problem I’ve had is finding very old information, I guess these laptops are considered old now too though! It’s sometimes hard to find out if something is still relevant or not.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Terriikk
      Hey guys, I have an Alienware m14x R2, and I have been trying to get access to the BIOS so that I can change the boot options (Everything is locked, I am unsure if someone set a password of if these are locked by default).I've tried updating the BIOS, and resetting the CMOS and nothing has changed this. Would anyone know if there are other options I can explore? Thank you. 
    • By Klem
      In this thread you can post your requests for Lenovo ThinkPad X250, X260.
      If someone wants upgrade Wi-Fi card and remove whitelist, or unlock hidden additional menus and settings in bios setup menu, then you can post your request in this thread.
      Important!
      For creating your personal bios dump and to flash your bios mod, you must use any SPI programmer  (like CH341A programmer) and a SOIC8/SOP8 test clip!

Just dump your Bios using any SPI programmer  (like CH341A programmer) and a SOIC8/SOP8 test clip, then post it in this thread or upload it to any fileserver and send me the link.

CH341A programmer:
      https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Programmer-CH341A-Series-Burner-Chip-24-EEPROM-BIOS-Writer-25-SPI-Flash-AU/153117073868?epid=577511738&hash=item23a67d21cc:g:XKEAAOSw5UdbW-iL

https://www.amazon.com/Parts-tower-CH341A-Programmer-Software/dp/B01FVVHCVC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1522179315&sr=8-4&keywords=ch341a&dpID=51BO7eGgO5L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

SOIC8/SOP8 test clip:
      https://www.ebay.com/itm/Soic8-Sop8-Flash-Chip-Ic-Test-Clips-Socket-Adpter-Bios-24-25-93-Programmer/201414947737?hash=item2ee5443399:g:up8AAOSw1Fda8qkt

https://www.amazon.ca/MAUSAN-Socket-Adapter-150MIL-205MIL/dp/B06ZYSNJF3/ref=pd_sbs_21_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=XM79QJWGED6B4K2VEZDJ

How to use it:

Also, you can search on YouTube a lot of guide for CH341a.

Note: 
      Each bios mod prepare personally and based on your personal bios dump which contain your personal data like Serial numbers, UUID, Service TAG, MAC addresses, Windows keys, NVRAM settings, etc.
      For creating your personal bios dump and to flash bios mod, you need use any SPI programmer  (like CH341A programmer) and a SOIC8/SOP8 test clip!
      Just dump your Bios (from your laptop) using any SPI programmer  (like CH341A programmer) and a SOIC8/SOP8 test clip, then post it in this thread or upload it to any fileserver and send me the link.
    • By Klem
      In this thread you can post your requests for Lenovo ThinkPad T440p / T440s / T540p.
      If someone wants upgrade Wi-Fi card and remove whitelist, or unlock hidden additional menus and settings in bios setup menu, then you can post your request in this thread.
      Important!
      For creating bios backup and to flash bios mod, you must use any SPI programmer  (like CH341A programmer) and a SOIC8/SOP8 test clip!

Just dump your Bios using any SPI programmer  (like CH341A programmer) and a SOIC8/SOP8 test clip, then post it in this thread or upload it to any fileserver and send me the link.

• By Klem
      In this thread you can post your requests for Lenovo ThinkPad T450s.
      If someone wants upgrade Wi-Fi card and remove whitelist, or unlock hidden additional menus and settings in bios setup menu, or already upgraded Display and after that can't adjust screen brightness, then you can post your request in this thread.
      Important!
      For creating bios backup and to flash bios mod, you must use any SPI programmer  (like CH341A programmer) and a SOIC8/SOP8 test clip!

CH341A programmer:
      https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Programmer-CH341A-Series-Burner-Chip-24-EEPROM-BIOS-Writer-25-SPI-Flash-AU/153117073868?epid=577511738&hash=item23a67d21cc:g:XKEAAOSw5UdbW-iL

https://www.amazon.com/Parts-tower-CH341A-Programmer-Software/dp/B01FVVHCVC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1522179315&sr=8-4&keywords=ch341a&dpID=51BO7eGgO5L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

SOIC8/SOP8 test clip:
      https://www.ebay.com/itm/Soic8-Sop8-Flash-Chip-Ic-Test-Clips-Socket-Adpter-Bios-24-25-93-Programmer/201414947737?hash=item2ee5443399:g:up8AAOSw1Fda8qkt

https://www.amazon.ca/MAUSAN-Socket-Adapter-150MIL-205MIL/dp/B06ZYSNJF3/ref=pd_sbs_21_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=XM79QJWGED6B4K2VEZDJ

How to use it:

Also, you can search on YouTube a lot of guide for CH341a.

• By danger007
      Well I am back, sort of.

Reminder of Stats
      *Alienware M17x R4 (bought June 2012) w/ Intel i7 3720QM@2.6ghz (Ivy Bridge) including the igpu Intel 4000 HD series
      8GB Ram, 17 Inch, SoundBlaster software only Recon 3DI, and the normal stuff that comes with it
      *Graphics Card:  Originally shipped 660m, upgraded to 7970m, 7970m died early, with community help moved to MSI 4GB 680M (flashed to Dell thanks to @svl7) and installed I think 314.xx drivers with help from many (sorry can't remember everyone but notable was @J95), was running 7970m in whatever they called their hybrid drivers, the 680m is run in Optimus)
      *Storage:  Msata 1tb Samsung 850 Evo, 2 Hitachi 1TB 7200 rpm 2.5" drives (yes I used all 3 GB or will)

So what will you read.  What got me started on this project and then using all the resources on the net, from @J95 and legions of others I owe all credit for the project too.  Please note I take no credit, take no rights, this is simply something to help others out based on working with what has already been laid down for us.   Installing the latest Nvidia 417.67 mobile/notebook drivers for a 680m for Windows 7 Service Pack 1 on Alienware M17x R4

When I got things up and running back in 2016/2017 with the noted people above I saw a new driver and with the STO game having a driver issue I upgraded to it.  Now I didn't notice anything wrong, the game worked and so paid no attention.  When I started to get unable to eject 680m error messages I thought great who got this, ejecting a gpu, wrong.  I then tried the uninstall Intel, Nvidia, use DDU in Safe Mode, disable AV/Firewall, disable driver enforcement, etc then reinstall intel, nvidia (removing certain folders) with the modified inf but now the game said it couldn't find any feature set and wouldn't let me play.  Finally removing the Nvidia drivers allowed at least the iGPU to run the game.  Used Unigine Heaven 4.0 to encounter more errors with Nvidia.

I moved back to my msata install of windows 7 that I haven't had a chance to work on since 2017 (i know pathetic) that only had system drivers, expired Norton, and not yet registered/activation.  Seems fine.  Tried to run Heaven, same error.  Well after 3 days of trying to duplicate what I had been instructed to do, I finally sat down with a nice big bottle of Fiji Water (courtesy of lovely lady at the Oscars in almost every background pic) and decided I was determined to fix things.   I downloaded the 419.67, copied the nv_dispi.inf & nvdmi.inf to get to work.  After reading the content and using comparisons once again from the noted individuals and the legions of other, I had them modified and decided to give it a try on the clean win 7 install from 2 years ago.  After the uninstall, ddu, deleting folders, copying mod. inf to their directory (also included the change to setup.cfg - credit once again goes to individuals like @J95), gyrxiur, DeathAngel , creator of Notepad++, sora and many others) I was able to launch the Heaven 4.0 Benchmark.  So I am assuming that I have the new 419.67 working on my system.  I did a benchmark of the 680m in 419.67 with unigine Heaven 4 to go with the files I am posting.  Please note the bios was provided by I believe @svl7 (sorry if I got wrong person) and no overclocking of it other than what the changed vbios did.

I am attaching below the following:
      Nvidia 419.67 modified inf and config - nvdmi.inf, nv_dispi.inf, setup.cfg (no credit to me all credit belongs to others)
      The Unigine benchmark results (txt file).

Now the shortened legalize warning
      Please remember you are to take all risk when using modified inf files, I take no responsibility (no virus or other dildrus included) if they don't work with your GPU.  The usual.

This was tested and used on Alienware M17x R4 running the last bios they released A12 or A13 and so it the system bios is not modified at all, the card is a MSI 680m 4Gb flashed vbios to Dell 680m 4GB, and installed in Windows 7 64bit Service Pack 1.  Hopefully if you have only a different card you can make any minor adjustments you need to.  

Please let me know how they work.  I will also be reporting back on the reinstall on my other laptop install I use to play Neverwinter/ Star Trek Online - was suppose to be a temp solution till new install was finished, and if they worked on it as well.
      Alienware M17x R4 680m 419.67 Mod Inf and Setup and Heaven 4 Benchmark.zip

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.