1080ti fell apart. Can I repair this?

ServusFidelis

2 hours ago, Brian said:

@Khenglish could probably tell you what to do. Those are capacitors and the card will probably still work but if you take it to a local electronics shop the can probably solder those back on for you.

I appreciate your reply.   Those capacitors have two small holes on the bottom line they just press down on the two metal pieces sticking out.   

But yeah  I’ll try taking it to our local electronics shop.   

Edited by ServusFidelis

Those caps are completely unnecessary. You can throw them in the trash and forget about them. They insignificantly reduce voltage ripple on the 12V line and you have way more than you need. A laptop GPU will have around 4 15 uF caps, and you still have 6 330 uF caps for the same purpose.

I am more concerned about what damage from bending happened to the card due to the extreme force required to rip the heatsink in half. That should require well over 100 pounds of force, and very likely destroyed the card.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 7 months later...

I have had Caps fall off before and the card worked well but I couldn't overclock. It was very unstable at moderately higher clocks and voltage. Your card should still be able to function at normal clocks. I would just reapply some new thermal paste and put it back together. Let us know if it works.