EwinRacing Flash Series Gaming Chairs
Sign in to follow this  
Sarafan

Can I upgrade my GT60 Barebones (16F4) GPU from 970m to 1070?

Does anyone have experience with this?

Some threads I've seen have done it on a 17 inch laptop, I was wondering if it was possible on the 15 inch version as well.

What issues will I face? I read about having to have a custom BIOS and vBIOS..but also HDMI/audio issues.

I guess I should also upgrade my CPU, which runs really hot (i7 4800MQ), but not sure another Haswell chip will run any cooler.

I've used liquid metal and even that hasn't changed temperatures much, it still reaches 93C pretty easily.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Hax
      I have tried to update nvidia drivers of my notebook ge72vr6rf apache pro. The only drivers that works are the ones provided by the msi. The problem is that they haven't updated those since 2016 and I can't play newer games. 

Some say you need to mod your 1060 drivers, which I have no idea how to some says you need to update the flags in ini files. So please help me

Thanks for your time.
    • By fibul
      Hello Everyone,
      I am an owner of MSI GT70-20C and my GTX770m gpu i now dead.
      I have a question and i hope someone will help.

I have ordered GTX 970m 6GB DDR5 and i cannot find the exact vBios for that graphic card.
      My current bios version is: E1763IMS.51B

Thanks in advance,
    • By ajdrenter
      Hello all! I have been researching upgrade paths for my M17x R4 and I have decided on the GTX 1060. Now, I was given this laptop with a dead GPU, and I had an M17x R3 already. So I moved the GTX 560m into the R4 which has worked fine. Now as I understand it a few things are needed for this upgrade including the 120hz panel and the ability to disable the legacy ROM for a pure UEFI boot. I have the 120hz screen, but the 560m uses the GF116 architecture which does not have a vBIOS which supports GOP. So I am thinking the only solution is to buy a cheaper "in-between" card which supports both boot modes, which will allow me to disable the legacy option in setup. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what cheap card to buy as a transitional part? I have been considering a 765m but I am also wondering if there are any other good choices.
    • By depmixels
      hello everyone, I have a MSI GT683R with a dying (pretty much dead actually) GTX560M in it.

I am looking to upgrade it to a new GPU, I have found a AMD Firepro M6100. (I first wanted to upgrade to a GTX970M, but that's too expensive for now... and corona is also making things difficult) I have already ordered a second heatsink to modify because I didn't want to modify the original heatsink it came with.

But, my question is. Does it even work in this system? I have heard of people getting it to work in the barebone variant of this system. But I am not sure if it would work in the 'fully loaded' variant.

Also, my games are mostly RAM/CPU dependent and I am looking for a little extra power in this system. I have found a I7-2860qm and I want to upgrade to 32GB of RAM, is it possible on this system? the sticker says 'max. 16GB of RAM' But I have feeling it says that due to the limitation of the cpu that's already on this system (I7-2630QM, 16GB RAM max.)
    • By Malik Fasihullah
      Dear modders,

Hope you all are doing well. I wished to ask if someone could guide me for flashing a vbios to the GTX 970M 6GB for to be installed on the MSI GT-683 laptop (with modded GTX 560M heatsink). I need to know how to get a display to be able to flash (also, flash with what software?) if the gtx 970m is of clevo (is the IGPU supposed to work? do i need an unlocked laptop bios?) I intend to buy this GTX 970M : https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000264805962.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.62d77e93DGQl5O&algo_pvid=bccc80d9-9944-4dc3-a1e6-ef3d45bda0e3&algo_expid=bccc80d9-9944-4dc3-a1e6-ef3d45bda0e3-5&btsid=12b502b9-dbe1-4c35-be48-930446a31235&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_3,searchweb201603_53 

Please help it will be of great service to me.

Regards- a new member.
      @Bloetschkopf your expertise please..

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.